Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] NOT a match report - just a short opinion piece...

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well said.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Top read as always.not sure Dunk had a terrific game before the sending off, he and Greer both hit too many wayward passes, but onwards and upwards. Can't underplayed the effect of team spirit - really is so obvious. Our loanees seem to have completely bought into it as well.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Quick bounce for the evening shift...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with most of that but the manner in which Dunk lost his head in a mad 5 minutes was pivotal to the outcome. It doesn't matter that he had had a good game up until that point because when you play top sides you have to be on your game until the final whistle.

I support Dunk but Hughton and Calderwood have a job to do to reduce his error count and improve his judgement.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I agree with most of that but the manner in which Dunk lost his head in a mad 5 minutes was pivotal to the outcome. It doesn't matter that he had had a good game up until that point because when you play top sides you have to be on your game until the final whistle.

I support Dunk but Hughton and Calderwood have a job to do to reduce his error count and improve his judgement.
I have been listening to the superb Graham Hunter podcast interviews and the recent Graham Souness one highlighted this perfectly. The Liverpool team were taught to look out for the dope. In every game played by world class teams there would always be someone who would lose concentration for a split second. They were ready to take advantage when it happened. He said that this lack in concentration separated the top professionals from the rest.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think the disappointment is that, whatever the expectations were before the game (or even at half time) we had got ourselves into a match winning situation and we need to slow the game down and try and take control but we just decided to keep giving the ball back to them. Bit like the lottery. You don't expect to win millions but when your six numbers come up you are over the moon to win £6m. Of course, when you see later that by unfortunate coincidence another 999 people had picked the same numbers you are still £6k up on the deal but it doesn't quite seem the same!!!

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

Dunk's aberration left us to defend a man light for ten minutes. Hardly ideal, and infuriatingly avoidable, but teams achieve it all the time. I don't think you can describe it as pivotal - the game didn't turn at that moment. We were already under pressure at the time.

It didn't lead directly to the equaliser in the way the concession of a penalty did, last time out. It could be argued that Hemed's miss at 2-0 (though more forgivable) was far more 'pivotal'.

All this though misses the whole point of the piece, which is that apportioning individual blame isn't beneficial to our aims. The TEAM earned their two goal lead, and the TEAM let it slip.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Dunk's aberration left us to defend a man light for ten minutes. Hardly ideal, and infuriatingly avoidable, but teams achieve it all the time. I don't think you can describe it as pivotal - the game didn't turn at that moment. We were already under pressure at the time.

It didn't lead directly to the equaliser in the way the concession of a penalty did, last time out. It could be argued that Hemed's miss at 2-0 (though more forgivable) was far more 'pivotal'.

All this though misses the whole point of the piece, which is that apportioning individual blame isn't beneficial to our aims. The TEAM earned their two goal lead, and the TEAM let it slip.

Whilst I disagree with those that seem to want to just blame Dunk, I don't see the problem in highlighting errors. Yes, Bruno was at fault for the equaliser, Greer was at fault for the first goal and Hemed missed a golden chance. Murphy needs to step up to the plate more, especially when we know what he can do. If you don't highlight the problems then how do they get rectified for the next game? CH and the coaching staff are no doubt working on it.

I would argue that ignoring errors is also not beneficial to our aims.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whilst I disagree with those that seem to want to just blame Dunk, I don't see the problem in highlighting errors. Yes, Bruno was at fault for the equaliser, Greer was at fault for the first goal and Hemed missed a golden chance. Murphy needs to step up to the plate more, especially when we know what he can do. If you don't highlight the problems then how do they get rectified for the next game? CH and the coaching staff are no doubt working on it.

I would argue that ignoring errors is also not beneficial to our aims.

I'm sure CH is dealing with it. Fans tend to over do 'highlighting the problems' and find scapegoats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here