Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BURKE is at DERBY?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
It is amazing the incredible rise in quality of our scouting since Burke has departed. Pretty much every signing since his departure has been good, most have been exceptional. Even our draft loan signings have been brilliant this season.

The bloke was bloody useless - he thought COG was a decent Championship striker worth in excess of £500k, that crocked players like Agustein and McCourt were worth a go, and God knows what Nzuzi Toko was all about... Oh, and let's not even mention Leon bloody Best - I would have absolutely no faith in him "analysing the opposition" with that kind of track record. Great news that he's gone to one of our rivals.

I've little time for the bloke, but the likes of Dale Stephens were his signings too, I assume. There must have been SOME hits in amongst all the dross.

Nonetheless, let's hope he works his magic on Derby now :thumbsup:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Except now he's heading up 'opposition analysis' instead of recruitment.

It wouldn't surprise one bit me if Derby turn up at the wrong stadium at some point soon cause DB has analysed Barnsley instead of Burnley.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Let's hope that he honours his confidentiality agreement and doesn't tell Derby how much we paid for various players and how much book value is left on the Balance Sheet. I don't rate the guy at all, but he does have useful information that could be used in an upcoming transfer window...

I imagine that eyes will be kept wide open in the event we receive any offers from Derby.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Ulloa- he'd have been one of Burke's too, I'd have thought?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As I understand it, Burke was simply promoted beyond his capability here. He'll probably be fine in a lesser capacity elsewhere.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Seven seems like an awfully large opposition analysis department and Derby are just a Championship club. Must be some cushy jobs within that team.

Dec 29, 2011
I assume Burke is a statistician? Seemed to make out signings based on stats (moneyball approach) and I imagine opposition analysis uses a lot of statistics.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I assume Burke is a statistician? Seemed to make out signings based on stats (moneyball approach) and I imagine opposition analysis uses a lot of statistics.
Wrong assumption. Over-promoted PE teacher would be closer to the mark. It is amazing how far hard work combined with a thick skin can take someone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is amazing the incredible rise in quality of our scouting since Burke has departed. Pretty much every signing since his departure has been good, most have been exceptional. Even our draft loan signings have been brilliant this season.

The bloke was bloody useless - he thought COG was a decent Championship striker worth in excess of £500k, that crocked players like Agustein and McCourt were worth a go, and God knows what Nzuzi Toko was all about... Oh, and let's not even mention Leon bloody Best - I would have absolutely no faith in him "analysing the opposition" with that kind of track record. Great news that he's gone to one of our rivals.
In 12 months time we'll find out what that rise in quality has cost.

I'll be amazed if player budget is anywhere near the £23m (total) that Burke was working within.

Stephens and Stockdale would prove he wasn't completely hopeless.
But you're right the negatives far outweigh the positives, you don't get the sack on Christmas eve for being 'not quite good enough'.

Although Burke was only one part of some appalling top to bottom management.
It would appear lessons have been learned.

We could even be grateful that he was bad enough to induce change.
Burke could have just been good enough to make the club work, and if that were the case I doubt we'd be where we are now.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We now have Paul Winstanley as Head of Recruitment, who used to be at Derby. I think we have the better deal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think Ulloa was pursued very strongly by Poyet, once he'd been identified by an overseas scout
You can't have it both ways.

You can't say all shite players signed under Burke's reign of terror is down to him, but all the good players are due to someone else.

If Ulloa was signed while Burke was Director of Football he as much a Burke signing as Chris O'Grady.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Certainly NOT. What we DID do was bin off the scout once Burke was in place.

I think Ulloa was pursued very strongly by Poyet, once he'd been identified by an overseas scout

Igor Aranalde was the scout in Spain for Poyet, scouted Ulloa, and pursued by Poyet as you rightly said. We had to wait until Ulloa had been in Spain for 4 years to qualify for a Spanish passport.
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?185921-Albion-make-the-papers-in-Spain

He was sacked when Burke took over.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You can't have it both ways.

You can't say all shite players signed under Burke's reign of terror is down to him, but all the good players are due to someone else.

If Ulloa was signed while Burke was Director of Football he as much a Burke signing as Chris O'Grady.

Tut tut, you and your Spock like logic. :hilton:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here