Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your starter for ten ...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
When playing golf, I hook my first shot, which lands 200 yards due north of the tee and 210 yards due west of the hole. How far is it from hole to tee?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
If it's simultaneously due north and due west you must have given it some ****ing welly as it's in two separate pieces.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
How is 290 worked out...?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
But if the hole is a dog leg, the yardage is measured from tee to corner of dog leg and then to the green, not as the crow flies, so it is irrelevant since as you only hit your tee shot 200 yards, you are not going to make the carry all the way to the green from the tee. Play the percentages man! :thumbsup:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
That clever fella Pythagoras gave us some clues
I am familiar with Pythag. I was struggling to accept that a right-angled triangle could be assumed but have got there now...

Last edited:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Pythagoras innit.

a squared + b squared = c squared

Although, I subsequently found out - the cheeky little so and so nicked it off some other bloke. So it wasn't his theorem at all.

Just like the Deming Cycle (Plan Do Check Act) wasn't thought up by Deming.

You can't trust anyone these days

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I am familiar with Pythag. I am struggling to accept that a right-angled triangle can be assumed.

If you have hit ball due North you then are west of hole( so you`re pin high) but 210 yards west of it.you need to hit 210 yards due east to hole. From North to East is 90 degrees (right angle).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If you have hit ball due North you then are west of hole( so you`re pin high) but 210 yards west of it.you need to hit 210 yards due east to hole. From North to East is 90 degrees (right angle).
Yes. My mistake was trying to draw it out on a piece of paper with the hole directly above the tee (on the basis that a "straight" rather than hooked shot would go from tee to green) which obviously then doesn't work...!!!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
When playing golf, I hook my first shot, which lands 200 yards due north of the tee and 210 yards due west of the hole. How far is it from hole to tee?

are we assuming that 'due north' is in the general direction of the hole rather than backwards from the tee?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here