Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PDC Darts - The Worlds

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Started this separately from the sweepstake thread as I didn't want to confuse the other one until everyone had a chance to sign up to the sweepstake.

Who do people fancy this year? Obviously Van Gerwin is favorite, and has been in great form, and I know most people can't see past him winning it.

But I have a sneaky feeling Phil Taylor might be in the reckoning this year. Always felt he has one more left in him, and his draw this year could see him playing Painter and King, before arguably Thornton or Hamilton in the quarter finals. I'd fancy him to beat all any of them to reach the semis where he could end up playing Wade or Anderson.

I can't see Anderson winning it back to back.

LennyD

Jul 15, 2009
Cant look past MVG, although i think theres a little value in Lewis @ 16s and Wade @ 20s each way. Another outsider ive gone for is Michael Smith. Decent odds @ 40s

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
MVG all the way .I'd like to see Bunting have a good run this year,like to see Wade do well as a local lad to me and met him many times and is a top bloke.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
MVG all the way .I'd like to see Bunting have a good run this year,like to see Wade do well as a local lad to me and met him many times and is a top bloke.

Wade could do well this year with the draw, he'd probably play Anderson in the quarters and Taylor in the Semi's, but might be worth a punt.

Bunting could struggle, as he'll probably get Barney in the 2nd round and Van Gerwin in the 3rd. He can't be happy with that.

Smith is decent, but I think he'll struggle to get past Van Gerwin in the quarters. I also like Van der Pass who Smith might have to play. Both are youngsters with a lot of potential, but can't see them making the big leap this year as their side of the draw is so tough.

I could see Barney maybe causing an upset against Van Gerwin, maybe. And then it could be anyone's from that side of the draw.

Can't wait for it to start, I'm dead excited about it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Would love to see Gary do it again as he's a sound fella. Went to a players champs in Coventry recently and Gary won on the Sunday and played some amazing stuff. Ones to look out for outside the big big names:

Suljovic
Mark Webster
Michael Smith
Gerwyn Price
Jelle Klassen

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Different thread so I'll moan again. Why have Sky dropped Brighton from the Prem League next year? Always looked forward to a night on the pi55 and never saw any trouble.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Different thread so I'll moan again. Why have Sky dropped Brighton from the Prem League next year? Always looked forward to a night on the pi55 and never saw any trouble.

It's been moved to Rotterdam, as I think the PDC want to expand the market in Holland. I wouldn't be suprised if the Premier league includes Van der Voort next year.
As to why Brighton was the one picked to be dropped, I'm not really sure. I've heard some people suggest it's more to do with the venue, what they charge etc rather than trouble amongst the fans.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

It's been moved to Rotterdam, as I think the PDC want to expand the market in Holland. I wouldn't be suprised if the Premier league includes Van der Voort next year.
As to why Brighton was the one picked to be dropped, I'm not really sure. I've heard some people suggest it's more to do with the venue, what they charge etc rather than trouble amongst the fans.

There's a number of possible reasons. It has indeed been moved to Holland (expect RVB to get another totally undeserved place) and they prob chose Brighton as it's close to London (or 'South East' in their eyes) and the Worlds are there as well as (I assume) the Prem League final. They usually / used to tie in the Players Champs events at weekends in with wherever the Prem Lg was on the Thursday. So there would always be a Players Champs weekend at Crawley after the Brighton Prem Lg. Unfortunately the PDC have decided to play all Players Champs / UK Open Qualifiers at Barnsley / Wigan this year bar 1 weekend in Coventry. Not very fair considering players come from all over the country. I won't speculate on reasons but it's annoyed a few players. Personally, I have been going to players champs for years as have some mates on the tour past and present and it's so annoying as have to travel to Cov now for one weekend. There were 4 weekends at Crawley 2 yrs ago! It's possibly also down to venue size and possibly the cost. Weird to think the first ever final of the Prem Lg was at the Brighton Centre - perhaps Brighton has been a victim of the PDC growth over the last few years... The premier league is after all a glorified exhibition when it comes down to it.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
There's a number of possible reasons. It has indeed been moved to Holland (expect RVB to get another totally undeserved place) and they prob chose Brighton as it's close to London (or 'South East' in their eyes) and the Worlds are there as well as (I assume) the Prem League final. They usually / used to tie in the Players Champs events at weekends in with wherever the Prem Lg was on the Thursday. So there would always be a Players Champs weekend at Crawley after the Brighton Prem Lg. Unfortunately the PDC have decided to play all Players Champs / UK Open Qualifiers at Barnsley / Wigan this year bar 1 weekend in Coventry. Not very fair considering players come from all over the country. I won't speculate on reasons but it's annoyed a few players. Personally, I have been going to players champs for years as have some mates on the tour past and present and it's so annoying as have to travel to Cov now for one weekend. There were 4 weekends at Crawley 2 yrs ago! It's possibly also down to venue size and possibly the cost. Weird to think the first ever final of the Prem Lg was at the Brighton Centre - perhaps Brighton has been a victim of the PDC growth over the last few years... The premier league is after all a glorified exhibition when it comes down to it.
I worked at K2 at the time so was able to just walk round and watch the games being played. Was very strange with all the big players bar Taylor playing to about 3 people. What's the idea behind it ? Championship points ? Because they were getting paid for winning etc, but no crowd to subsidise the prize money.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Wade could do well this year with the draw, he'd probably play Anderson in the quarters and Taylor in the Semi's, but might be worth a punt.

Bunting could struggle, as he'll probably get Barney in the 2nd round and Van Gerwin in the 3rd. He can't be happy with that.

Smith is decent, but I think he'll struggle to get past Van Gerwin in the quarters. I also like Van der Pass who Smith might have to play. Both are youngsters with a lot of potential, but can't see them making the big leap this year as their side of the draw is so tough.

I could see Barney maybe causing an upset against Van Gerwin, maybe. And then it could be anyone's from that side of the draw.

Can't wait for it to start, I'm dead excited about it.

It's Van Gerwen

At least spell his name correctly

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I worked at K2 at the time so was able to just walk round and watch the games being played. Was very strange with all the big players bar Taylor playing to about 3 people. What's the idea behind it ? Championship points ? Because they were getting paid for winning etc, but no crowd to subsidise the prize money.

It's part of the tour and always has been. Costs £100 per day entry but there's £30k prize fund each day I think - 10k winner. The whole ranking systems are done on prize money. You can only go as a guest of a player and they're only allowed 2 each so hence there's not many watching. I got to watch my mate Justin beat Taylor the other day - 5-1 down and won 6-5 which was far better than watching any tv tourno IMO. I much prefer going to players champs esp watching your players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here