Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion boss stands by Dunk after costly red card [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion boss Chris Hughton has stood by red card culprit Lewis Dunk.
The centre-half was sent-off for two bookable offences at Loftus Road last night as Albion were pegged back from 2-0 up to 2-2 by Queens Park Rangers.
Dunk’s second caution, for a lunging tackle on Alejandro Faurlin, was followed by Charlie Austin heading in his second goal of the game late-on from a corner to rescue a point for Rangers.
Hughton told The Argus: “He’s certainly been good for us overall. I was probably more angry because I thought there was a poor challenge by Sandro, a similar one where he dived in, got some of the ball, which didn’t get a yellow card, but I’ve got no complaints with Dunky.
“I think he overstretched. If it was a straight red then I could probably have an argument but the fact it was a yellow, no.
“There’s no doubt with the power they’ve got and a lot of big lads you want all your regular players on the pitch but they were always going to put us under pressure in that last bit and in the end we showed enough character not to lose.”
The result saw Albion equal two records: West Ham’s post-War record unbeaten start in the second tier of 21 matches in 1990-91 and the Seagulls’ club record 17 matches undefeated in all competitions, set in 1987-88.
Middlesbrough’s 1-0 win at home to Burnley means they head to the Amex on Saturday for a top-of-the-table showdown as the new Championship leaders, above Albion on goal difference, with Derby two points adrift in third.
Dunk is banned for Boro’s visit, so Uwe Huenemeier will replace him alongside skipper Gordon Greer.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here