Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Railway Conductors

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Anyone know what they are striking about?

Any links to info?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Anyone know what they are striking about?

Any links to info?

The dispute is over issues including staffing and rosters, which the union claims are causing disruption to services.

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: "The staffing shortages on Southern are a disgrace and are creating daily problems. Our members have now shown just how angry they are in this magnificent ballot result which will now be considered by the union's executive.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The dispute is over issues including staffing and rosters, which the union claims are causing disruption to services.

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: "The staffing shortages on Southern are a disgrace and are creating daily problems. Our members have now shown just how angry they are in this magnificent ballot result which will now be considered by the union's executive.

Oh, it's staffing and rosters that are causing the disruption.

I thought it was chronic investment in the infrastructure and a bit too much time spent prioritising the building of shopping centres at London Bridge over the points outside the station.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
RMT calls for action after another morning of chaos on Govia Thameslink - Britain's worst performing rail franchise

Rail union RMT today demanded that the Government take action to cancel and nationalise the basket-case Govia Thameslink franchise after another morning of chaos for commuters that has seen services cancelled at short notice and massive delays elsewhere - see picture attached. The cancellations were blamed on "congestion."

At the weekend a much-hyped new timetable on the Great Northern part of the operation got off to the worst possible start with cancellations as appalling workforce planning left the company desperately short of drivers.

A ballot result of conductors on the Southern Rail arm over staff shortages and appalling working conditions is due later today.

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said;

"Surveys of passengers show that the Govia Thameslink franchise has the lowest satisfaction results and the continuing chaos this morning piles on more misery while the franchise holders, who promised the earth when they won the contract, are laughing all the way to the bank.

"Even more galling for passengers paying through the nose for this lousy service is the fact that those profits are being used to subsidise rail travel in France.

"Meanwhile the expanded franchise are looking to hammer down on jobs, and staff working conditions, as they look to milk the system for every penny they can get. That is right at the root of all of the current problems.

"Gatwick Express has been the most recent addition to this, the biggest rail franchise in Britain‎, and has been undermined by the company from the off.

"The only solution is to recall this mega franchise and take it into public ownership while there is still a chance to turn it around."

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Oh, it's staffing and rosters that are causing the disruption.

I thought it was chronic investment in the infrastructure and a bit too much time spent prioritising the building of shopping centres at London Bridge over the points outside the station.

It's both isn't it? I get frustrated to hear 'Train cancelled due to unavailability of staff', the real truth is that 'we don't have enough staff rostered to cover for delays, illness etc as we want to cut cut cut costs'....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Are there still conductors? Are they not all now re-deployed as "Revenue Protection Officers" or some such boll*cks?

Aren't the Revenue Protection Officers a different lot ?

Probably will be working overtime if that's the case.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's both isn't it? I get frustrated to hear 'Train cancelled due to unavailability of staff', the real truth is that 'we don't have enough staff rostered to cover for delays, illness etc as we want to cut cut cut costs'....

Yep, it's probably both.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
While my usual response would be to limit the right to strike on public services, I think the staff have a case here. I have lost count of the number of times trains have been cancelled on my line (East Grinstead) because of a shortage of train crew. This included Monday last week when I had to get to work in time for an appointment, and the next train was in half an hour. This meant I had to drive to Three Bridges, and I can't claim the extra fare back, as apparently it's not their job to get you to your destination by a particular time. The best one recently wasai travelling on a train to East Grinstead, we reached East Croydon and just sat there. Eventually, the conductor told us that the driver to take us on from East Croydon had been delayed, because the train in from Selhurst was late. Why couldn't the same driver have taken the train the whole way? I am also getting sick of sitting on that bridge between East Croydon and Selhurst to change to the fast line while the signallers let trains past on the Brighton line, regardless of whether we are on time or not, guaranteeing a late arrival.

I am fairly knowledgeable about the railways, so I know the conductors, drivers and platform staff aren't to blame, but I wouldn't fancy their job facing angry passengers who are delayed.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I know more than you and this has been brewing for years, simply now a case of enough is enough.

Agreed - we commuters put up with a few hours each day, I guess you guys (well, you used to) have to put up with it all the time. I don't know why Abellio weren't awarded the franchise. They've done a reasonable job on the Great Eastern Main Line with clapped out old stock, while Southern and Thameslink make a complete pig's ear with largely modern stock. Thameslink used the 319s for years, but the old BREL-built stock was some of the most reliable anywhere on the railway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here