Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we outspend any of the top 5 in January?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I won't be surprised to see Boro & Derby throwing £10m+ at their promotion bids in January. Boro may very well finally get their Rhodes for £14m+ and I would not be surprised if Derby went for Austin or McCormack. Burnley & Hull have all that parachute lucre to chuck at some quality too. In summary, Mr Bloom could place a large bet on promotion by funding some top players coming here but all the time we're sitting top, I believe it'll be our four rivals that splash the cash.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
cool_story_bro.jpg

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Not all about the amount we spend but who we bring in. Kayal was only £300k last Jan. If Wilson gets recalled clearly we need to strengthen there. I don't think we will be the biggest spenders in the Jan window and as Tony is all ready covering £10m a year losses I think that's fair enough.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Tony may want to continue losing 10 million pounds a season in the Championship, or he may just decide that a cash injection in January could possibly put an end to this...

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
If Wilson stays,i am not sure we need an influx of players. How can we keep them all motivated and happy. Towell has signed already,i can see perhaps a punt on a young lower league player,maybe JFC out on loan and La Pama in on loan.

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
If you are in Tony's position, assuming you can afford it, then this has to be the season to go for it. Spend as much as you can on semi "proven" young players who will improve the squad, but also have a resale value if we need to cash in. Doubtful we are ever going to be in a better position than this - a massive calculated gamble is needed.

Take Jordan Rhodes - I'm not saying he is who we should get at all, but assume 10-15 million gets him. He is 25, not quite at peak powers yet, so potential to improve and value increases. If we gamble and it goes wrong, he will still have resale value if we need it. If it goes right we've made it to the prem.

If Im in Tony's shoes, and I can get them, then I'd go for 4 or 5 players, up to £30 million total cost, who fit the profile of being under 26, already immediately good enough for our team and with potential for premier league. Get them now, there are always integration issues to consider but half way through the season, TOP, it makes sense. We all know its going to be tight at end of season, we can't risk missing out by 4 or 5 points for the sake of not spending that money

All that assumes he can find the money!! I don't think my nerves will take another 25 odd games of 1 goal margins

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
He's not going to break the FFP rules so I expect him to spend the maximum he can within these limits.
[MENTION=499]finbar[/MENTION] so would you be happy to see the club break the rules and face court hearings, sanctions and possible demotion?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
We don't need to.

We are performing better than any of the other 4 teams at the moment without spending tonnes. A couple of reinforcements to cover up the gaps (wingers as Lua Lua's fitness seems an issue), and maybe another striker (a big signing if Wilson gets recalled), and we'll be alright.

Bong, Rosenior, Lua Lua, and Baldock regaining fitness will be like 4 new signings in itself.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I think TB will see this season as shite or bust for us. New record unbeaten. Top of the league in December. That said we have a lovely balanced and settled squad who are light on key players due to (short term) injuries.

Bringing in new players might not be the best option. Trust in CH to call this one right. The guy has not put a foot wrong all season.

Dec 29, 2011
A proper quality LB and CB would be nice. When Upson played we looked imperious at the back, someone of a similar ilk would be great for our promotion push.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think we will be the biggest spenders in the Jan window and as Tony is all ready covering £10m a year losses I think that's fair enough.
I think Tony would spend more to improve our chances of promotion, but he won't want to break FFP. From a business point of view I don't think it's sensible to keep losing £10m a year when losing a little more one year gives you a good chance of making a decent profit in the following year.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd be absolutely delighted if Middlesbrough jizz their budget on Jordan Rhodes. I think Wilson is better, and I'm convinced he won't be recalled. Meanwhile, we'll probably recruit better than Rhodes at a fraction of the cost.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I think it will depend on two things, firstly the injuries to players that are already out if they are looking strong and ready for action towards the end of the transfer window then that will be a massive factor in whether we strengthen. Secondly the terms of Wilsons loan! the club will have a better idea than any of us to the likelihood of a recall to utd, if they are in any doubt then I think that money will be available for a quality striker.

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
He's not going to break the FFP rules so I expect him to spend the maximum he can within these limits.

[MENTION=499]finbar[/MENTION] so would you be happy to see the club break the rules and face court hearings, sanctions and possible demotion?

No - obviously it needs to be done within what are acceptable limits.

My understanding is that its assessed over a three year period - taking this from the Championship website - "The £13m limit for 2015/16 is in line with the losses permitted under the new regulations which will permit a maximum loss of £39m over a rolling 3 season timeframe (compared to an equivalent figure of £105m in the Premier League). A club that moves between the Premier League and Championship will be assessed in accordance with the permitted loss in the relevant divisions played in during the 3 year period in question. For example, a club that had played two seasons in the Championship and one in the Premier League would have a maximum permitted loss of £61m, consisting of one season at £35m and two at £13m.

Bear in mind

1) Make it to the prem and the problem realistically goes away
2) spending x million on a player doesnt automatically add that as a "loss"
3) The players have resale value so if absolutely necessary you'd expect to be able to recoup it anyway

Theres no doubt there is a risk, which is why i describe it as a calculated gamble. Blooms stated aim is the premier league - he has the option of going for it now, on the basis we are half way through the season and unlikely to ever be better positioned for a 26 games assault to get up OR stick with what we've got / maybe add a few improvements and hope that we can do enough to get up (and if we dont try again next year etc).

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Just as everything that has been done thus far recruitment wise the powers that be will get it absolutely spot on. I'm almost certain any business we do will be early doors.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I won't be surprised to see Boro & Derby throwing £10m+ at their promotion bids in January. Boro may very well finally get their Rhodes for £14m+ and I would not be surprised if Derby went for Austin or McCormack. Burnley & Hull have all that parachute lucre to chuck at some quality too. In summary, Mr Bloom could place a large bet on promotion by funding some top players coming here but all the time we're sitting top, I believe it'll be our four rivals that splash the cash.

More likely that that lot will all go to mid-table and below Premier league clubs. I think we will be looking at completely different players, players who are not necessarily on the radar of the so-called big clubs in our division, Towell being a good example.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here