Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why No Uwe

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Our performances this season have been generally excellent with Uwe starting so why has he not featured recently - does anyone know ?

This given GG and LD less than 100%.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wouldnt expect him to start tomorrow ahead of Dunk who had a good game at Derby. CH could have the hump with Greer for that senseless challenge and could make the change

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Wouldnt expect him to start tomorrow ahead of Dunk who had a good game at Derby. CH could have the hump with Greer for that senseless challenge and could make the change

Doubtful as in his post match interview he states that GG had to make the challenge. ( I think he does anyway!) I think it's the Ref he wants dropped.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Would like to see the goals conceded stats with each central defensive pairing we've had this season. However with our left back injuries maybe this has influenced CH team selection ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

It wasn't a "senseless" challenge. Certainly threw himself in to it but otherwise there was a real danger that Russell could control it & be clear inside the 6 yard box.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It wasn't a "senseless" challenge. Certainly threw himself in to it but otherwise there was a real danger that Russell could control it & be clear inside the 6 yard box.

I'd suggest staying on his feet would have offered a better defence than presenting him with penalty. There was still work to do.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
He might needlessly dive in, give away a penalty and risk losing points in a massive game. Who knows?

Oooh....can even smell the sarcasm in that response!!!
Have to agree a bit there with you mate... Having watched it over a few times...totally unnecessary!
Think Hughton will stick with him though!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't happen in Germany

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'd suggest staying on his feet would have offered a better defence than presenting him with penalty. There was still work to do.

Of course, but given he was trying to block a cross in a dangerous situation, he probably did the right thing in my mind.

It remains very debatable whether he even touched him, but Mason guessed he did.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course, but given he was trying to block a cross in a dangerous situation, he probably did the right thing in my mind.

It remains very debatable whether he even touched him, but Mason guessed he did.

I personally think it was the wrong decision. And I think the contact debate is a red-herring. The Derby chap took evasive action to avoid the Greer lunge; contact is irrelevant.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

Don't think he did, but why give him the option? GG has been great both this season and before. That was an error, whether it be the heat of the situation or whatever. We'll get over it, and I like GG a lot, but small things at the end of the season. PiG v Brum, Brez v Notts. Forrest.
Capturefff.JPG

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

That's not senseless. Just poorly executed :lolol: :lolol:

Seriously. A week before Bruno allowed a Charlton player freedom in a similar position. He stood off. They scored. Sometimes you're damned if you do and dMned if you don't and I would still suggest that it's questionable if Greer actually made contact

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I personally think it was the wrong decision. And I think the contact debate is a red-herring. The Derby chap took evasive action to avoid the Greer lunge; contact is irrelevant.

Not according to Iwelumo...... But you could be right.

I would think that if it had been the other way Derby would feel as aggrieved as we do.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Don't think he did, but why give him the option? GG has been great both this season and before. That was an error, whether it be the heat of the situation or whatever. We'll get over it, and I like GG a lot, but small things at the end of the season. PiG v Brum, Brez v Notts. Forrest.
View attachment 70649

I do take your point, but up against someone with more pace than you, who is heading to the touch line, you should lunge to stop the cross, not stand up and let them get it in anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Out all of the CBs, Uwe would be first on the team sheet for me.

As Wookie has said, we need to protect Calde, so it's Dunk. Greer is skipper & we play better as a team with him.
Dunk is better in the air than the German.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As Wookie has said, we ned to protect Calde, so it's Dunk. Greer is skipper & we play better as a team with him.
Dunk is better in the air that's the German.

But not as good on the ground and less likely to provide cover than Uwe IMO. Dunk is just as likely to be wandering off somewhere else, when he should be covering.

I'm afraid for all the positive things he brings, he is a disaster waiting to happen. We look more solid with Uwe in my mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here