Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keepers and corners

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Question for all you keepers out there.

If a corner comes over within your 6-yard box and is at a catchable or punchable height, would you expect to make an attempt to deal with it?

Not intended as a criticism of Stockdale for Derby's first goal last Saturday but the ball was headed by Russell inside our 6-yard box just beyond the far post but Stockdale made no attempt on it.

Would you be expecting your defenders to deal?

I know it can get congested in there and a common tactic is to put a man on the keeper to restrict his movement, but within the 6-yard box, I'd be wanting the keeper to at least make an attempt to deal.

Thoughts?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Question for all you keepers out there.

If a corner comes over within your 6-yard box and is at a catchable or punchable height, would you expect to make an attempt to deal with it?

Not intended as a criticism of Stockdale for Derby's first goal last Saturday but the ball was headed by Russell inside our 6-yard box just beyond the far post but Stockdale made no attempt on it.

Would you be expecting your defenders to deal?

I know it can get congested in there and a common tactic is to put a man on the keeper to restrict his movement, but within the 6-yard box, I'd be wanting the keeper to at least make an attempt to deal.

Thoughts?

For me the quality of the cross prevents him from coming for it. Johnson gets a run on our lads and there might be a question to ask about why he gets a free run at the ball, but I don't think the cross could be intercepted until it dropped past the far post. If Stockdale comes that far and doesn't make it, he would be rightly blamed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If I was keeper in English football, I'd make sure I was vaguely near an opposing player when the corner comes in, and simply fall over in the melee.

Hey presto!

You win a free kick EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Stockdale has been superb but I think he could have easily caught rather punched when coming for the ball which led to their penalty.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
For me the quality of the cross prevents him from coming for it. Johnson gets a run on our lads and there might be a question to ask about why he gets a free run at the ball, but I don't think the cross could be intercepted until it dropped past the far post. If Stockdale comes that far and doesn't make it, he would be rightly blamed.

Entirely spot on. Nothing Stockdale can do for the first. Should have done better with the second.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Considering how high the ball looped over. No.

He did the right thing to stay on his line. If he'd have gone for it and missed it, he'd have been hammered for being in no mans land. Only a superb jump + header could have beaten him from where he was positioned. And both were. So it went in.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    751.8 KB · Views: 359

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
One of the best keepers in the world, David De Gea, got mugged at a corner all ends up at the weekend against Bournemouth, a corner he should have been comfortable with. Happens to the best of them. And it's why I don't always have much time for fiddly short corner routines. Just get it in the box!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Considering how high the ball looped over. No.

He did the right thing to stay on his line. If he'd have gone for it and missed it, he'd have been hammered for being in no mans land. Only a superb jump + header could have beaten him from where he was positioned. And both were. So it went in.
Excellent analysis. No way he could have claimed that particular ball.

Modern day keepers punching/pushing the ball away rather than catching it is simply to do with the footballs in use and the way they arrive at much greater velocities and with much greater lateral/vertical movement in the air than ever before.

If you grew up with a Mitre Multiplex and Peter Shilton catching everything in a pair of gardening gloves then it looks wrong, but it isn't.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here