Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The challenge on Wilson first up in highlights

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Watching at the game I didn't even appeal for it, think it was more of a shoulder charge than a foul.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Watching at the game I didn't even appeal for it, think it was more of a shoulder charge than a foul.

Thought the same, at the game and after seeing the highlights. Wilson himself didn't look too bothered either - think he realised he came off second best against a big lump.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I don't understand shoulder charges. He basically shoves him over with no attempt at playing the ball? No?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
As the referee gave them a penalty for minimal contact, we definitely should have had a penalty for that. Usual inconsistency from the referee.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I always thought the law was shoulder to shoulder within playing distance of the ball. Not shoulder in the back when the nippy forward has got across in front of you. If Dunk had done that to a Derby player, the ref would have given it 99 times out of a hundred.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Out of interest, can you point out in the Laws of the Game where is states shoulder to shoulder is legal?
Page 122
Shielding the ball is permitted. A player who places himself between an opponent and the ball for tactical reasons has not committed an offence as long as the ball is kept within playing distance and the player does not hold off the opponent with his arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I haven't seen the replay but there was little reaction from the Albion faithful at the time & I don't recall any players appealing. When it happened I raised both arms shouting 'oil oi!' only to sheepishly lower them & shut up when no one else did the same nearby.
Funny old game.

Edit: of course I should add that it happened at the other end and I scream like a banshee for almost anything after a few ales...

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Haven't seen the replay, but from the stream and replays then it looked a bit to me as though Wilson got in front of him and then checked slightly - making the barge look a bit worse than it really was. The ref may well have thought that he invited it, and so didn't give anything.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think the idea of a fair shoulder charge is when two people are in close proximity competing for the ball. Yesterday the Derby player appeared to take more of a run towards our player who had possession of the ball and hit him in the back. Penalty in my view.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Not sure it was more than a shoulder charge - but was more of a pen than the one that he gave!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Could be the camera angle, but it looks like a clear penalty - and maybe even a red card - on the highlights with Wilson looking like he'd got a yard in front of the defender. Not much was made of it by the players, but then, as others have suggested, it looked far more of a foul than the penalty.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Page 122
Shielding the ball is permitted. A player who places himself between an opponent and the ball for tactical reasons has not committed an offence as long as the ball is kept within playing distance and the player does not hold off the opponent with his arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.

Where does it refer to shoulder to shoulder though?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here