Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police Presence

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Was it just me or were there a crazy number of coppers at the match and especially at the train station after the game today? Most seemed friendly and willing to interact but it seemed like a large show of force for a game with little potential for trouble.

Christmas overtime perhaps or did I miss something?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I never understand why so many police are needed at matches. I remember the obscene numbers at the Goldstone- often on horseback. The abuse they got was horrendous and would involve an instant ban these days.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lots.

When they drag down a fella from the stairs at the station for nothing more than starting an Albion song they are doing it wrong.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Lots.

When they drag down a fella from the stairs at the station for nothing more than starting an Albion song they are doing it wrong.

Sounds like a very OTT response. Am surprised that police weren't batting an eyelid at all the open cans being drunk on the platform. Is that meant to be allowed or was it just a case of looking the other way to keep things from kicking off further?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There were a lot of police at St Pancras as well when the train finally arrived

tiotom92

Jan 11, 2014
To be fair there was a scuffle halfway down the stairs between Derby and Albion fans and on the platform things would have developed had they not been there.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
lots of trouble in derby town centre with masked muslims today so i guess the police didn't want to take any chances with friendly peaceful football fans.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
We arrived at the Navigation Inn on London Road (our Derby 'local' - three visits in 2014 !) to find it packed out with our boys. Some were regulars but most were a team that had arrived in Derby at 10 am, for whom the polcice had laid on a special bus to take them straight to the pub and kept them there until 2pm when they stopped serving everyone and put them all on the bus. We claimed 'special privileges', and were served after the bus had gone. According to a steward there were also over 100 Leverkeusen fans in Derby last night and caused some trouble. So the police upgraded the game from a Category C to Category A first thing this morning.

I never understand why so many police are needed at matches. I remember the obscene numbers at the Goldstone- often on horseback. The abuse they got was horrendous and would involve an instant ban these days.

I am old enough to remember police horses, I think at all the matches back then. Agree it was a bit OTT, when did Sussex Police lose their mounted section or did they borrow them from the Met?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I am old enough to remember police horses, I think at all the matches back then. Agree it was a bit OTT, when did Sussex Police lose their mounted section or did they borrow them from the Met?
They were stabled at the corner of John Street and Carlton Hill opposite Kingswood flats. I used to visit the my grandad in the flats and pat the horses on the way home. :)

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62

The Derby police obviously could not find enough horses and dogs quick enough to give these fans the normal guided walking tour of the Derby sights, and so hired them a double-decker coach instead. Quite considerate really, seeing as it was pi**ing down.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I remember the day when there used to be only a couple of British Transport police that travelled on the train from Eastbourne to Hove on matchdays, they were friendly enough!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'm getting them some nice new slippers and a pair of pyjamas for Christmas.

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
Think it was a lot to do with the Britain First march through Derby town centre yesterday - there was a bunch of them (as you'd expect, overweight white men in army tops) shouting abuse at people. One of them called me a 'c word' because I wouldn't take their shitty little newspaper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here