Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why passing Amex test was so significant for Albion Women [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
James Marrs believes Albion have proved they are ready for the big end-of-season battles – by shining at the Amex.
The Seagulls are back on top of Premier League south after their ground-breaking 2-0 win over Charlton on the big stage.
But Charlton and Cardiff remain hot on their heels in the battle for top spot, which in turn brings a promotion play-off for the winners.
The stakes are likely to be high for all six of their remaining league games as Albion have precious little margin for error.
And big-match temperament will be further tested should they achieve their target of that play-off spot against the winners of the northern section.
That is why their first outing at the Amex in front of a crowd about 15 times the size of their usual following was key, both as six-pointer against title rivals but also as an indication as to how they cope with big occasions.

Marrs was delighted to see them pass with flying colours.The Albion boss said: “It’s crucial to get as many of these experiences as possible.
“You’ve got to hold your nerve in this type of game.
“I think we were fully focussed on all our targets and fully focussed on what we had to do.
“The girls never let the crowd faze them and that was key.
4546146.jpg

The*record crowd provides a great backdrop as Charlotte Gurr plays a pass against Charlton. Picture by Paul Hazlewood
“I really think we have moved on to the next level with regards to dealing with pressure.
“It’s really pleasing that we have learned from our mistakes last year.
“There were big games last year which we didn’t turn up in.
“In the big games we have had this year, we have turned up in every single one.
“For them to be learning constantly how to deal with these occasions and to be able to go out and perform like they did under pressure is something that delights me and our coaching staff.”
Marrs does not know whether the women’s team will be back at the Amex in the near future.
Last Sunday’s game fitted in nicely, straight after the Junior Seagulls’ Christmas party with many young fans and their parents staying to watch the action.
But Marrs says he will be happy to take any opportunity which arises.
He added: “We will take it week by week.
“Whatever we are given by the club, we are absolutely delighted with.
“I went to the men’s game against Charlton on Saturday and Derek (Chapman), our chairman, invited me into the board room.
“I was non-stop talking all the time I was there. People were saying good luck.
“The support we get from the club is amazing and it’s not fake.
“You can get a lot of fake support, people patting you on the shoulder and saying ‘Good luck’ and not really meaning it.
“But people took their time out to talk to me and tell me the club are really behind us.
“We are pleased we did the same as the men over the weekend.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here