Letter from the club to STH

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Seems fair enough to me.

Dear Season Ticket Holder,

It's been a fantastic first half of the season. Your support has been tremendous - and we thank you for that.

The purpose of this open letter to all season-ticket holders is to clarify the club's policy on the current season-ticket upgrade system as, for reasons I shall explain and ahead of our next home match with Middlesbrough, we will begin a more robust enforcement of our policy.

Unfortunately, whilst the overwhelming majority of supporters do not abuse the current system, a relatively small - but not insignificant - number of issues have been brought to our attention. Spot checks at our last home match also highlighted an increase in the number of adults attempting to use junior and concession tickets to gain access to the stadium.

The club allows season-ticket holders to upgrade a maximum of SIX junior/concession tickets to concession/adult tickets in a season using a pro-rated adult season ticket price, plus a booking fee. Many clubs don't allow this but those clubs who do, such as Derby County and Charlton Athletic, for example, limit their season-ticket holders to less upgrades than we do.

We allow up to six upgrades because we fully appreciate that our younger fans may struggle to commit to every match, particularly midweek evening games that fall on a school night. At the seventh time of asking for an upgrade we will allow the season ticket to be fully upgraded for the remainder, of the season but we do not permit any further match by match upgrades.

As per our terms and conditions of ticket sale, all supporters must have the appropriate ticket in the correct age-bracket when entering the stadium. Anyone stopped trying to enter the stadium using a ticket for the incorrect age bracket will be refused entry, may have their information passed to Sussex Police for possible prosecution and, at the very least, will be charged the full adult matchday price as, at this point, fans will not be permitted to upgrade.

From next season, and in addition to paying the full match day ticket price, we will also be introducing a penalty fee for anyone who tries to enter stadium using an inappropriate concession ticket. We would also like to remind all fans of the club’s right to cancel any season ticket without refund if our terms and conditions of sale are found to have been breached. This includes passing a season ticket to another fan who subsequently attempts to use it fraudulently.

Finally, we reserve the right to recover any historical monies found to be owing to the club from anyone whose season ticket is found to have been used fraudulently to consistently gain entry to the stadium, without the correct ticket price being paid. We will do this to protect the club's legitimate revenues and also out of respect to the vast majority of our supporters who have paid the correct ticket price.

With the club's losses running to £10.4m this year alone - entirely funded by our chairman, Tony Bloom - it's very disappointing and totally unacceptable that a very small minority of supporters see fit to add to that significant financial burden, and abuse the flexibility we offer, by knowingly failing to pay the correct price for their ticket to the match. As such, I do hope that season-ticket holders will understand and fully support the club's approach on this matter.
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...cket-holders-2846104.aspx#RSEwlglpEzExmkUp.99

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Think it's fair enough and good that the club have now put it out there in black and white. At the same time, it's unfortunate that it's had to get to that stage

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
"Many clubs don't allow this but those clubs who do, such as Derby County and Charlton Athletic, for example, limit their season-ticket holders to less upgrades than we do. "

Who wrote this? The English is awful!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Totally fair enough. Six upgrades is plenty.

It did put me briefly in mind of the dilemma I used to have at the Goldstone as a seventeen year old when, having been out drinking under age, I'd smuggle 10 B&H in to the deepest recesses of my ski jacket, suck on an Extra Strong Mint and try to get in for half price.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"Many clubs don't allow this but those clubs who do, such as Derby County and Charlton Athletic, for example, limit their season-ticket holders to less upgrades than we do. "

Who wrote this? The English is awful!

It's FEWER for a start.

*gets gun ready*

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Totally fair enough. Six upgrades is plenty.

It did put me briefly in mind of the dilemma I used to have at the Goldstone as a seventeen year old when, having been out drinking under age, I'd smuggle 10 B&H in to the deepest recesses of my ski jacket, suck on an Extra Strong Mint and try ti get in for half price.

I remember in the war years, the guy on the turnstile saying to me and my friend in front of me, half price? Yep no problem through you go. I hadn't asked to get in half price. I was 25.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
"This includes passing a season ticket to another fan who subsequently attempts to use it fraudulently. "

Does that mean, for example, an adult father and an adult son can't share a season ticket any more, even if they are in the same age bracket?

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Its fair enough.

In the interests of fairness why does a child who is U10 then pay almost double the following year. They have no access to funds to pay the extra and still only take up one seat and actually eat and drink more. That is not fair. "Open Comment to Club" Could we please reduce child ticket prices to that of U10's.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
When I renewed my sons season ticket I knew, as he was starting Uni he wasn't going to be able to go to every match, so when they said he could have an under 21 price I said 'no please make it an adult one as upgrading is a bit of a pain'. This caused problems. They had to ask their manager if I could buy an adult ticket for an under 21. I completely agree with the above, but sometimes they make it difficult.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
"This includes passing a season ticket to another fan who subsequently attempts to use it fraudulently. "

Does that mean, for example, an adult father and an adult son can't share a season ticket any more, even if they are in the same age bracket?

I'd certainly not read it as that. It's the price bracket that's the issue so an adult using an adult ticket is fine.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

I don't think it means that. It's just really badly written.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

No, it means passing a child ticket to an adult, who doesn't then use it for a child.

It is spelling out that you cannot claim no responsibility for this ( presumably by saying you told them it was for a child ).

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
We allow up to six upgrades because we fully appreciate that our younger fans may struggle to commit to every match, particularly midweek evening games that fall on a school night/

Some of the younger fans struggle to go to any evening match. Given the number of these that are happening now I'm going to struggle to keep my son's season ticket next year.

The old system of paying the difference between a child's season ticket price and the full price when upgrading seems to me to be a lot fairer all round.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Quite sure there's a few scamming bastids around the ground, but the whole of the original family stand must be approaching age-update time shirley? Is there a clear upgrade path available from the club?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

No, I don't believe that would be included in the fraudulent classification indicated by the club letter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I have a U18 ticket for my daughter, but this year she has not been able it make it to a lot of games due to her cycling commitments. The couple of times I have asked if someone can use it, I have contacted the club and upgraded her seat. I think six times is fair enough.

I'm not sure if I will renew her ticket next season as well as the waist of money for me, It seems a shame to have a seat that no one else can use.

I do not think the club is being unreasonable.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here