Sports Direct, the "scar on British business”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shocking revelations here

http://gu.com/p/4efp2

Workers are:
• Harangued by public address system for not working fast enough.
• Warned they will be sacked if they receive six black marks – or “strikes” – over a six-month period. Offences that earn strikes include: a “period of reported sickness”; “errors”; “excessive/long toilet breaks”; “time wasting”; “excessive chatting”; “horseplay”; and “using a mobile phone in the warehouse”.
• Banned from wearing 802 separate clothing brands at work.
• Made to go through rigorous searches – down to the last layer of clothing, asked to roll up trouser legs and show the top of underwear – which typically takes 15 minutes, because management are so concerned about potential theft.
Meanwhile, local primary school teachers have also told the Guardian that pupils can remain in school while ill – and return home to empty houses – because parents working at Sports Direct are too frightened to take time off work.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The company was branded a “scar on British business” by the Institute of Directors and was rounded on by its own shareholders,

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
But Cameron says more people are in work so this must be OK.

I guess this is Britain's way of competing with China. Disgraceful.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
There was an undercover type documentary about them a little while ago basically exposing the same things.

They look a dreadful company to work for but full credit to the staff for working there instead of just taking the dole.

I don't even think they are particularly that cheap and just sell chav wear

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How can people be made to work like this in 2015 in the UK? It's abuse.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You only have to go into an outlet to realise what a hole it must be to work in.

The warehouse staff being treated like criminals doesn't surprise me at all. Mike Ashley is a disgrace.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They look a dreadful company to work for but full credit to the staff for working there instead of just taking the dole.

I would begrudge anyone refusing to work under these conditions though. If you want to get people off the dole and into work you need to encourage them with half decent jobs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I would begrudge anyone refusing to work under these conditions though. If you want to get people off the dole and into work you need to encourage them with half decent jobs.

I wouldn't either just giving credit to the one's sticking out under such conditions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wouldn't either just giving credit to the one's sticking out under such conditions.

I understand, and agree. Im a bit hungover and my post didn't come out right :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don't use them, never had used them, never will use them. There should be a boycott but I can't see the teenage chavs that make up their demographic doing so.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Zero hour contracts should be illegal. They've been abused so much by unscrupulous employers that I don't think I'd trust ANY employer using them and as for all the other humiliating and bullying actions by Sports Direct and their outsourcers, this is the reason why there should be union representation in the workplace.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Zero hour contracts should be illegal. They've been abused so much by unscrupulous employers that I don't think I'd trust ANY employer using them and as for all the other humiliating and bullying actions by Sports Direct and their outsourcers, this is the reason why there should be union representation in the workplace.

I agree. I understand there is a need for flexible contracts in some cases but sadly they've been abused far too much I just can't trust their presence in any form in the workplace now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't use them, never had used them, never will use them. There should be a boycott but I can't see the teenage chavs that make up their demographic doing so.

I won't be buying my misshapen jogging trousers from there that's for sure.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I agree. I understand there is a need for flexible contracts in some cases but sadly they've been abused far too much I just can't trust their presence in any form in the workplace now.

You know they're a bunch of James Blunts when you two agree :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here