Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paper bags

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope this hasnt been mentioned before but the search facility on NSC is not very good.at least on my tablet.

I fully understand and agree with the charges for plastic bags but what about the old fashioned paper bags which can be recyled? I went into BHS in Churchill Sq to buy some lingerie for wife and after not wishing to buy a plastic bag I was given the clothes in my hand to walk up Western Rd to meet wife who had a shopping bag. Had no option than to buy a plastic bag. In my youth that would have been put into a paper bag as apparently Primark with their cheap clothes do so why has no effort been made by other shops to reintroduce paper bags. Rant over.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Your option is to take a shopping bag.
Your wife did.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
The point is to reduce bag usage entirely. Even if paper bags are recyclable, it still costs energy to make them, to distribute them and to recycle them. The charge is there to encourage people to remember to bring their own shopping bags, or to carry the items without a bag if it is not needed.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I hope this hasnt been mentioned before but the search facility on NSC is not very good.at least on my tablet.

I fully understand and agree with the charges for plastic bags but what about the old fashioned paper bags which can be recyled? I went into BHS in Churchill Sq to buy some lingerie for wife and after not wishing to buy a plastic bag I was given the clothes in my hand to walk up Western Rd to meet wife who had a shopping bag. Had no option than to buy a plastic bag. In my youth that would have been put into a paper bag as apparently Primark with their cheap clothes do so why has no effort been made by other shops to reintroduce paper bags. Rant over.

Couldn't your wife have bought her own lingerie, and then put it in the shopping bag she had brought with her?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I fully accept that and we were shopping together and getting near bus time so I said I will go to BHS while you go to Next. I think everything should be put in a paper bags as per days gone by. Apparently Card Factory still use small plastic bags as they are not subject to a charge if they dont have handles.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
The point is to reduce bag usage entirely. Even if paper bags are recyclable, it still costs energy to make them, to distribute them and to recycle them. The charge is there to encourage people to remember to bring their own shopping bags, or to carry the items without a bag if it is not needed.

The scheme aims to reduce the use of single-use plastic carrier bags, and the litter associated with them, by encouraging people to re-use bags.

In 2014 over 7.6 billion single-use plastic bags were given to customers by major supermarkets in England. That’s something like 140 bags per person, the equivalent of about 61,000 tonnes in total.

They take longer than other bags to degrade in the environment, can damage wildlife, and are extremely visible when littered in our towns, parks and the countryside.

Despite research showing that the average household already has 40 plastic bags around the home, the number of plastic bags taken from supermarkets increased for the fifth year running in 2014.

We expect to see a significant reduction in the use of single-use plastic carrier bags as a direct result of the charge - by as much as 80% in supermarkets and 50% on the high street.

Similar 5p charges are already in place across Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The scheme in Wales saw a reduction in plastic bag consumption of 79% in its first 3 years.

We estimate that over the next 10 years the benefits of the scheme will include:

an expected overall benefit of over £780 million to the UK economy
up to £730 million raised for good causes
£60 million savings in litter clean-up costs
carbon savings of £13 million

From
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...he-charge/carrier-bags-why-theres-a-5p-charge

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Cool story. "MAN LOSES RAG IN BAG DRAG NAG"

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

as pointed out, this is beyond the purpose of the bag tax, and typical of scope creep. so much over packaging still around makes it futile.

i dont understand why noone seems to be offering a paper alternative, is the legislation maybe broad enough to ban/tax them too?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
as pointed out, this is beyond the purpose of the bag tax, and typical of scope creep. so much over packaging still around makes it futile.

i dont understand why noone seems to be offering a paper alternative, is the legislation maybe broad enough to ban/tax them too?

I don't understand why it is so difficult to either carry your shopping without a bag, bring your own bag, or pay £0.05 on the odd occasion you forget.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
i dont understand why noone seems to be offering a paper alternative

Maybe he's set up an alternative income stream because his Cardiff contract will soon be up?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
UI
Maybe he's set up an alternative income stream because his Cardiff contract will soon be up?
Oh please god no, don't say that.

You know what's coming next.
We should resign Noone because the team is crying out for a winger with no end product.

#gettheoldteambacktogether.

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
Because paper bags are more expensive to manufacture than plastic bags and cost more to distribute (heavier and more volume) - which is why we haven't seen retailers being proactive in this space....much easier to levy the charge.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There should be a 5p charge on all McDonald's packaging too, that might help finance council cleaners who have to pick up the mess after eating.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I was talking to my Dad one day, I told him the kids at school called me bighead. He said " never mind Son, just nip up to the greengrocers and fetch your Mum 7lb of taters in your cap.."

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
They use more energy and fossil fuels to produce and produce far more green house gases when they degrade. They're also far heavier so more fuel used in transporting them, and numerous toxic chemicals are released into the environment during paper manufacture.

Hope that answers your query!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Have you stopped to consider the Common Cormorant (or shag)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here