Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Former Brighton Manager Mike Bailey Book Available

Zuluwolf

Dec 8, 2015
My Dad has finally published his autobiography so if any of you remember the heady heights of the top division, and I'm very proud to say the highest point in Seagull's history to date, (although things are looking rosy once more so that may not be for too long!) you might find it interesting. The book tracks his career from Charlton and England with his leg break in 1965 (not great timing!) and then on to Wolves, The States, Hereford and then the interesting Mullery/Bailey, Charlton/Brighton manager swap. Dad was devastated to lose his job in the FA Cup year and then see the decline of the team so if you want to know the background to that time, his time, the book is available on Amazon at the following link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0992982650

On a personal note I was bon in Wolverhampton so have been 'saddled' with Wolves as my team but I have always supported all of Dad's teams and as I married a Brighton girl with family still in the city, especially my sister in law, who's a stone's throw from the Amex, I've always held Brighton close to my heart. It looks like the good times are back at last.

Cheers

Andy Bailey

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Thanks Andy. I was a kid at the time but with reflection, your dad did a great job and was not appreciated as much as he should have been at the time. I think that given the time, he'd have cemented us in the top flight and things would have been so different.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I remembered Mike Bailey as a damn good manager - I thought he was a good fit
Alas, for whatever reason, it wasn't
I hope the book makes him a decent amount of money

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My Dad has finally published his autobiography so if any of you remember the heady heights of the top division, and I'm very proud to say the highest point in Seagull's history to date, (although things are looking rosy once more so that may not be for too long!) you might find it interesting. The book tracks his career from Charlton and England with his leg break in 1965 (not great timing!) and then on to Wolves, The States, Hereford and then the interesting Mullery/Bailey, Charlton/Brighton manager swap. Dad was devastated to lose his job in the FA Cup year and then see the decline of the team so if you want to know the background to that time, his time, the book is available on Amazon at the following link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0992982650

On a personal note I was bon in Wolverhampton so have been 'saddled' with Wolves as my team but I have always supported all of Dad's teams and as I married a Brighton girl with family still in the city, especially my sister in law, who's a stone's throw from the Amex, I've always held Brighton close to my heart. It looks like the good times are back at last.

Cheers

Andy Bailey

And it's been downhill ever since...until now! Blimey, the timing of the book makes me feel very old suddenly but mostly like I should have equally 'left' and not wasted the past 32 years! :ohmy:

Any chance get listed in the club shop so I don't have to buy from Amazon? I try to avoid though increasingly hard to.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Losing 3 - 0 at home in the Cup, to then Third Division Oxford United, did for him I am afraid. We were awful that day. Will always remember Southampton away though :)

The Oxford United defeat was 1982. Our best season. It was interesting how he held the 'boring' tag. The season he was sacked our football became a lot more open and attacking. Alas, we conceded a shed load of goals as a result.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Hindsight is a wonderful thing as they say. Although we did play some awfully boring football at times!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Any chance get listed in the club shop so I don't have to buy from Amazon? I try to avoid though increasingly hard to.

I'm told the club won't be selling it.

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Hi Andy,

Spencer Vignes here - I write much of the 'retro' stuff in Albion's match day programme.

Any chance you could pass my contact details on to your father? Would love to talk to him and perhaps do something in association with the programme. I can be reached at spencervignes@hotmail.com or 07956 951144.

Cheers,
Spencer

Zuluwolf

Dec 8, 2015
I did speak to Dad briefly today and he was told the Brighton shop doesn't sell books. If you want to avoid Amazon you can email the editor direct and get one from him. The email address is gpbooks@hotmail.co.uk

Dad's happy to promote it so will pass on your details Spencer. He also may well be at the Wolves game on New Years Day if that helps. The book is a cost covering exercise more than anything else so there isn't a great marketing machine behind him so any suggestions are welcome.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thanks Andy. I was a kid at the time but with reflection, your dad did a great job and was not appreciated as much as he should have been at the time. I think that given the time, he'd have cemented us in the top flight and things would have been so different.

Well said. The fences didn't help watching wise and although the football was a bit dour it was effective, as soon as we were expansive we shipped goals!

Good manager

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
This is exactly the sort of thing that belongs in the club shop to be honest - I'd be surprised if they refused to stock it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Losing 3 - 0 at home in the Cup, to then Third Division Oxford United, did for him I am afraid. We were awful that day. Will always remember Southampton away though :)

Wasn't that the same season we won at Anfield in the league and drew 3-3 with them at the Goldstone, beat Arsenal, Spurs and Everton too?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here