Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AFC Wimbledon given permission to build new stadium at Plough Lane

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
That's some journey they've had.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
Another greyhound stadium bites the dust, a new home now required for the William Hill greyhound derby.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Truly fantastic news Wimbledon fans have been through the worst nightmare but on the day of the new ground opening those who stuck with the belief that football belongs to the masses and has roots in locations that cannot be ripped up

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It doesn't seem to me like the great news everyone thinks. They are causing other sports to leave the area, are they not? Seems a bit hypocritical.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Indeed, the sale of KIngsmeadow is also forcing Kingstonian out of their old home and making them homeless in the process.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/17/chelsea-afc-wimbledon-kingsmeadow

AFC Wimbledon are providing for “a substantial sum” to be paid out of the sale proceeds to Kingstonian, the Isthmian League premier division club from whose then owner AFC Wimbledon originally bought Kingsmeadow in 2003. The board of Kingstonian, who have played at Kingsmeadow since then as tenants, has resolved to find a smaller stadium, with the contribution from AFC Wimbledon intended to help them secure that move.

Why?.... the names don't clash, and even if there was some overlap, there are plenty of City's, United's, even a few Albions.

Because the "Dons" part refers to Wimbledon, which if I understand correctly isn't actually part of Milton Keynes.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Absolutely fantastic news
:rock: :rock: :rock:

I wonder if any Wimbledon fans who defected to Milton Keynes now feel they backed the wrong team ?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Good news that they have moved a step closer to a stadium and it looks pretty huge given the size of the club. The blocks of flats packed in around the stadium look proper grimbo- too many in a small space but I guess that's whet developers want to do these days- cram as many units on as possible.

It seems a bit of a disaster that Kingstonian are being kicked out of their own ground so that Chelsea can train there and play reserve and women's matches etc. Given what Wimbledon have been through this seems ridiculous but I'm sure there is more to it behind the scenes. Can anyone provide any insight- do Kingstonian just not need a ground that big, or can they not afford it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here