Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tideway School, Newhaven

Maverick

Jun 1, 2011
Not sure if anyone remembers but back in 1987ish ( I think after the hurricane) Tideway school, Newhaven was severely damaged and I seem to recall having to go to a school in Seaford for a time while Tideway was being fixed. In my limited memory I think I recall the school was on old one which may have been reopened just for our use?

Can anyone help or remember any details, name of school etc? I also remember being told it was haunted, although that was probably just school kids humour at the time, may have even started the rumour myself.

Just trying to tell a guy at work about it who is Seaford born and bred and cant remember the school. Either that or I am going completely mad and dreamt it, cant find anything online.

Thanks in advance.

(it's Christmas and work is quiet)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Bletchington blind school in Seaford Belgrave Road
Which is now seaford primary
Great days indeed I was there too
Correct except it was Blatchington, after that area of Seaford. I used to live around the corner. Seaford primary was rebuilt on the site after moving from the town centre and the rest of the site became housing.

Maverick

Jun 1, 2011
Our paths must of crossed but can only remember 2 albion fans in my year which the 2nd year of tideway

My first albion game wasn't until 1992! I am sure we crossed paths, was in A block Mrs Preece was my tutor, history teacher

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
went to Tideway 76-80 brilliant, played football,rugby & cricket for the school

sadly my academic skills suffered as a result

my tutor there for all 5 years was an English teacher Mr Kellett,great bloke,although a little odd
he used to look after my records for me during the day and when returning them would always give a little comment
like the cover of Jean Jacques Burnel's Euroman Cometh where he's standing outside the Pompidieu centre
"yes very interesting,but clearly taken at the wrong angle"
I was very sad o hear he collapsed and died in the street just around the corner from where I lived in Eastbourne

teacher crumpet was thin on the ground,although there was Ms Bevan,a drama teacher I think

great,great times The Stranglers and The Albion both in their pomp

talking of ghosts,anyone know Legless?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Waiting for you to get on the old primary school aspect!

Bad memories hearing my younger sister first day at the school being brought in screaming and hitting teachers.
Or do you mean Blatchington hill going down the hill in a home made gokart with no brakes and ending up in the pond at the bottom of the hill, thank goodness not many cars around in those days .

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I was there between 84 and 90 so remember the storms well. Incredible stuff.

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Is the old town center primary school the post office now????
No. For the life of me I can't remember. The last thing I recall is that it was an alternative health shop or something? The modern post office is in the site next to that. It was built in the early 80's or late 70's, 70's I think. I worked there for a couple of years when I left school in 1983.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Bad memories hearing my younger sister first day at the school being brought in screaming and hitting teachers.
Or do you mean Blatchington hill going down the hill in a home made gokart with no brakes and ending up in the pond at the bottom of the hill, thank goodness not many cars around in those days .
Blatchington Hill was also great for skateboarding!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
anyone remember Taffy Davies the PE teacher was good mates with one of his sons
lived just across from the sports fields,nice house overlooking the sea

anyway it was a semi and in the other half a german teacher lived there
that was until one morning the place was raided by the OB
turned out he was an East German spy or so the rumour went ???

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No. For the life of me I can't remember. The last thing I recall is that it was an alternative health shop or something? The modern post office is in the site next to that. It was built in the early 80's or late 70's, 70's I think. I worked there for a couple of years when I left school in 1983.

I think the old school next to the post office is a children's nursery school.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here