Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iphone charger / warranty advice please

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think even the most ardent Apple fan will concede that while they have many advantages (nice design, easy interface uhm, nice design and easy interface) they are very flimsily manafactured, especially the accesories, chargers, headphones etc. Frankly, for top end products at premium prices they really offer shockingly bad value for money.

Since having my iphone 5c forced upon me (ie, my only smartphone option) by EE I've had nothing but endless trouble with the charger and the chargig port, regularly having to clean out the port and have replace the chargers thrice at my own expense and am about to go into town to do so again Grrrrrrrrr. 4 chargers in just over a year at approx £30 a pop. EE don't seem to want to know.

I have all my receipts, should I now invoice EE and fight for my money back? Pretty ridiculous really! :annoyed:

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
Are Apple cleaning the charging port with the suction thing they use? (Apologies for the vague description)...

Had the same problem until I booked an appointment, takes them about 5 minutes to do but completely cleans it out with (I think) suction fluid.

If you've tried all of this, I'm pretty sure Apple should replace your phone with a new-refurbished phone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Never had a single problem with iPhone, iPod or iPad chargers over a number of years :shrug:

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I had a similer problem, I had dirt and grub inside the port on my phone, had it cleaned out properly never had a problem since, all the chargers I thought were duff then started working again.

However I phone charges are a pile of shite, the amount of cables which break is crazy, also a really helpful one meter in length that gives you no chance of using your phone while it charges unless you have a charging point right next to you.

Armchair

Mar 3, 2009
I've had occasional problems with my 5s but it's the phone charging port not the charger. I have to clean mine occasionally as lint from my pocket collects in the port and prevents the lightning connector making proper contact. Another possible problem is charging the phone whilst in a case. Sometimes the thickness of the case prevents proper connection.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I've had around 15 chargers since end of 2010 on iPhones, around 6 official ones and 9 £3 ones from eBay. No refunds on chargers.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have to clean out my iphone 6 charger port regularly too but did with my 4s and iPad. Suspect you would have to with other smartphones. Don't spend £30 on a charger though. I got a fake for £6 at Halo in Boundary Rd

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I've got an IPhone 5C and never had a problem with the phone or chargers. Do you keep your phone loose or in a case?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thanks. New charger works fine. For now. Yep, I've had port cleaned, then the chargers worked, then they didn't do I got new chargers they worked, for a while then the port was fine, took my brother's charger and not mine. I mean really, for all the claims Apple make it really is an entry level requiremnet to be able to charge one's phone without all this guesswork, maintenance and EXPENSE. EE will be getting a bill form me first thing. Cannot wait to get off this crappy contract and switch over to a decent Samsung that works. Utter Lunacy.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Weird I've had 11 iPhones and never had a charging problem , except when I have forgotten to charge the wall plug on

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's ridiculous that despite the design that goes into these contraptions, if you want the blasted thing to last more than a couple of months without a cracked screen, chipped casing or total destruction you have to hide the design in a bombproof case as the thing is so fragile. I mean, iphone 6's actually bend in your pocket! Insanity. Never has a mass market been lead so blindly into buying total crap sold as cutting edge tech for so much money. I am embarrassed to own one.

I also suspect they build in obsolesence (spell) which makes me loathe them even more. I think I may just go and part ex the thing for a Samsung tomorrow in one of those disgusting CEX shops that smell of heroin and teenage jizz.

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
However I phone charges are a pile of shite, the amount of cables which break is crazy, also a really helpful one meter in length that gives you no chance of using your phone while it charges unless you have a charging point right next to you.

Think I read somewhere that this is deliberate, for exactly the reason you mention. The suggestion was that it's not good for the battery if you're using it whilst it's charging, so Apple make the cable annoyingly short to deter you from doing so.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I've had around 15 chargers since end of 2010 on iPhones, around 6 official ones and 9 £3 ones from eBay. No refunds on chargers.

what on earth are you doing with these chargers? i have about 3 plugged in and cycle various phones and tablets when need charging and never had a problem. mind you not Apple. i normally consider them to make decent well made kit, except the earphones, maybe they make deliberatly crap chargers?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Think I read somewhere that this is deliberate, for exactly the reason you mention. The suggestion was that it's not good for the battery if you're using it whilst it's charging, so Apple make the cable annoyingly short to deter you from doing so.

After going through many chargers I got a 3m iPhone charger and it's been working for 9 months usually which period I've gone through 3 chargers.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Thanks. New charger works fine. For now. Yep, I've had port cleaned, then the chargers worked, then they didn't do I got new chargers they worked, for a while then the port was fine, took my brother's charger and not mine. I mean really, for all the claims Apple make it really is an entry level requiremnet to be able to charge one's phone without all this guesswork, maintenance and EXPENSE. EE will be getting a bill form me first thing. Cannot wait to get off this crappy contract and switch over to a decent Samsung that works. Utter Lunacy.

Everyone I know has the same problem. Wonderful that you are going to try to get recompense, godspeed and let us know how it goes. Also: iPhone Fixer on Lewes Road will clear the port out in 30 seconds. They sell reliable cables (well, mine hasn't shown signs of breaking in the month or two since I've had it) for £4.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here