Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When 442 became 245

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Four days on, still buzzing about our terrific comeback against Charlton.

The last 10 minutes reminded me of playing school football in the mid-70s when my Westdene school team won the Brighton U12 Div 2 and were runners up to Paul Gent's Moulscoomb in the Baker Cup. We still played the old-fashioned (even in those days) formation with 2 wingers, a centre forward and 2 inside forwards. 5 attackers. I remember going to Whitehawk and expecting a kicking being the soft middle-class kids from the suburbs. Half the school turned out to sit on the bank and throw stones at us during the game. But we beat them 9-0.

I played right wing, and with 3 strikers to aim crosses at, our terrific sports teacher Malcolm MacNeill used to just say "get it in there laddie". For some reason that exact phrase came to me as La Parra was charging down the wing on 86 minutes on Saturday. When you have 3 strikers to hit, crosses can look much better!

Would we take winning the second tier and runners up in the cup final this season? Possibly.

PG

edit: or even 235!

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The last 10 minutes reminded me of playing school football in the mid-70s when my Westdene school team won the Brighton U12 Div 2 and were runners up to Paul Gent's Moulscoomb in the Baker Cup. We still played the old-fashioned (even in those days) formation with 2 wingers, a centre forward and 2 inside forwards. 5 attackers. I remember going to Whitehawk and expecting a kicking being the soft middle-class kids from the suburbs. Half the school turned out to sit on the bank and throw stones at us during the game. But we beat them 9-0.

I played right wing, and with 3 strikers to aim crosses at, our terrific sports teacher Malcolm MacNeill used to just say "get it in there laddie". For some reason that exact phrase came to me as La Parra was charging down the wing on 86 minutes on Saturday. When you have 3 strikers to hit, crosses can look much better!

Would we take winning the second tier and runners up in the cup final this season? Possibly.

PG

Felt like 245 to the Charlton defence.....

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Charlton played 424 in first half and destroyed us! But for Stockdale that game would have been over in first 35 minutes. Thankfully CH countered it in second half and then sending off changed game. Actually i really don't get the euphoria over this result. Ok we made a good comeback but against a side 19th in the table with a poor defensive record and 10 men. If we had not got at least a draw from the second half from 2-1 down it would have been poor.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Charlton played 424 in first half and destroyed us! But for Stockdale that game would have been over in first 35 minutes. Thankfully CH countered it in second half and then sending off changed game. Actually i really don't get the euphoria over this result. Ok we made a good comeback but against a side 19th in the table with a poor defensive record and 10 men. If we had not got at least a draw from the second half from 2-1 down it would have been poor.

That's unfair on Charlton, where, in the Championship, any team can beat any team. If Brighton were to lose their unbeaten record, it was a banana skin.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
there was a game under Sami, can't remember which one thank heavens, when I sat there as kick off was taken and was convinced we had lined up in 235 formation. The result on Saturday was important, but more important given the first 30 minutes was the resilience and determination it showed. It was not an easy match thanks to our own defending, but we repaired the damage. Confidence must be sky high at the moment - but without arrogance (given how easy it was for Charlton at first).

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
That's unfair on Charlton, where, in the Championship, any team can beat any team. If Brighton were to lose their unbeaten record, it was a banana skin.

Thats true of course. I agree. Anyone can beat anyone. I guess I am being unfair on Charlton. I think the significant thing would be the 10 men. Without the sending would we have won? Who knows. Incidentally how do you negate a team playing counter attacking football using a 424 formation? Charlton were outstanding in first half and surely other teams will look at that and think we should do that against Brighton? Jimmy Floyd Hasslebank was there watching Saturday for example.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Thats true of course. I agree. Anyone can beat anyone. I guess I am being unfair on Charlton. I think the significant thing would be the 10 men. Without the sending would we have won? Who knows. Incidentally how do you negate a team playing counter attacking football using a 424 formation? Charlton were outstanding in first half and surely other teams will look at that and think we should do that against Brighton? Jimmy Floyd Hasslebank was there watching Saturday for example.

Yes but we'd already got one back and forced a brilliant save from their keeper by then. Zamora was through for the sending off and could easily have made it 2-2. I would have then fancied us to go on and win.

If anything, I felt our momentum reduced with the sending off. We were looking great but, after the sending off until the goals, I don't think we offered a lot in terms of shots on target (as often happens when a team goes down to 10 men).

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I think that Charlton started off very quickly but used too much energy in the first half. Because they hadn't put the game beyond reach, they didn't have the stamina to keep that pace up for 90 odd minutes. That's where Stockdale's saves helped us tremendously. We were also fortunate that we only had one injury affecting our team.
We still had enough in the locker to attack.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think that Charlton started off very quickly but used too much energy in the first half. Because they hadn't put the game beyond reach, they didn't have the stamina to keep that pace up for 90 odd minutes. That's where Stockdale's saves helped us tremendously. We were also fortunate that we only had one injury affecting our team.
We still had enough in the locker to attack.

Agreed. Did you notice how comfortably we saw out the last 8 mins or whatever. Yes we had an extra man but my word the Charlton lads could barely run and weren't putting any pressure on us. It was like watching Barca seeing out the last 5 mins, although admittedly a lot of that was down to them having 10 :lol:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Agreed. Did you notice how comfortably we saw out the last 8 mins or whatever. Yes we had an extra man but my word the Charlton lads could barely run and weren't putting any pressure on us. It was like watching Barca seeing out the last 5 mins, although admittedly a lot of that was down to them having 10 :lol:
It was the most relaxing last 8 minutes of the season. it flew bye.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And equally we will have learnt lessons about what went wrong.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed. Did you notice how comfortably we saw out the last 8 mins or whatever. Yes we had an extra man but my word the Charlton lads could barely run and weren't putting any pressure on us. It was like watching Barca seeing out the last 5 mins, although admittedly a lot of that was down to them having 10 [emoji38]
Agree with this, they were utterly shot

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Maybe I'm being dumb but I don't get what you mean.

When March & their CB clashed heads, Solly had stitches and stayed on. Their CB had to be subbed.
We lost Rosenior, but had Calde as back up, who has had experience of LB. Then their other CB got sent off and their keeper also injured himself when we equalised.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It was the most relaxing last 8 minutes of the season. it flew bye.

Agree with this, they were utterly shot

Another thing I thought was there should have been way more than 4 mins stoppage time. Due to Charlton's time wasting at 2-1 for ages... I think the ref thought 'stuff you - it's your own fault' and I was pleasantly surprised to see 4 mins. Could have been 12 mins in the first half - about 4 Charlton 'injuries' and the long delay for Solly incident plus their general time wasting. That said, it turned out half time couldn't come soon enough for us so CH could work his magic :)

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

PG

I think I played in that game ('keeper!!!). I remember the crowd/mob shouting out 'com' on bananas" (We played in yellow)! We used to lose a lot!!!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I think I played in that game ('keeper!!!). I remember the crowd/mob shouting out 'com' on bananas" (We played in yellow)! We used to lose a lot!!!

You were the Whitehawk keeper? I think I scored 2 past you, but it was 41 years ago!

PG

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
there was a game under Sami, can't remember which one thank heavens, when I sat there as kick off was taken and was convinced we had lined up in 235 formation. The result on Saturday was important, but more important given the first 30 minutes was the resilience and determination it showed. It was not an easy match thanks to our own defending, but we repaired the damage. Confidence must be sky high at the moment - but without arrogance (given how easy it was for Charlton at first).

100% this. I remember seeing us in some insane formations at kick off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here