Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's underground tunnels

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yes OWL I knew they were there and any tour of the Pavilion tells you that. What I didnt know was the opening to the public bit.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've been through it !
Years ago I was sent to the Royal Pavilion to fix a couple of extension faults on their switchboard. There are a load of passages and rooms in the basement/cellar and a lot of phone cables run through them. I was tracing what I thought was the cable I wanted along a passage which ended in a door, so I opened it and found myself in the basement of the Dome by the cloakrooms.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
along a passage which ended in a door, so I opened it and found myself in the basement of the Dome by the cloakrooms.

Are you a friend of Dorothy?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Interesting tidbit about it being built after the relationship with Mrs Fitzherbert ended. Though I'm guessing he would have used it for other, later liaisons? Unless he was off interfering with his horses in the small hours.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So THAT'S why Mrs Fitzherbert's is so-called.

As a lifelong Brighton resident I'm almost ashamed I didn't know that.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I've been through it !
Years ago I was sent to the Royal Pavilion to fix a couple of extension faults on their switchboard. There are a load of passages and rooms in the basement/cellar and a lot of phone cables run through them. I was tracing what I thought was the cable I wanted along a passage which ended in a door, so I opened it and found myself in the basement of the Dome by the cloakrooms.

Me too when I worked for telecoms company back in the 1970's

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Great news, can't wait to see that.

I also keep hoping that they'll one day get round to opening up the Bottle, the servants quarters located up in the large central onion dome. It has a load of WW1 soldiers' graffiti on the walls too. I doubt B&H Council has got much spare dosh to spend on the Pavilion these days though.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
from the old YMCA building( which was and someone might correct me was Fitzherberts residence) to the pavillion

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I also keep hoping that they'll one day get round to opening up the Bottle, the servants quarters located up in the large central onion dome. It has a load of WW1 soldiers' graffiti on the walls too.

Blimey - I never knew that.

I saw the WW1 graffiti at the Hidden Gardens of Heligan in the summer. That was qualla.

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've been through them too.

Don't get too excited. It's just a dark tunnel.

The Tunnel through to the Dome was put there in case Georgie Porgie had to make a fast exit if the local peasants turned rebellious.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Interesting tidbit about it being built after the relationship with Mrs Fitzherbert ended. Though I'm guessing he would have used it for other, later liaisons? Unless he was off interfering with his horses in the small hours.

Did he not use the tunnels as he had become so corpulant that he did not wish to be seen by the public? Nothing more romantic than that. That's what I heard.

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Great news, can't wait to see that.

I also keep hoping that they'll one day get round to opening up the Bottle, the servants quarters located up in the large central onion dome. It has a load of WW1 soldiers' graffiti on the walls too. I doubt B&H Council has got much spare dosh to spend on the Pavilion these days though.

There is BHA graffiti too as well as a thoroughly succinct and none too eloquent bit of modern day tagging from a break in a while back.

The staircase was really dodgy and only allowed one person on at a time when I went up, so I imagine it would be an expensive job to make safe for the public.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Did he not use the tunnels as he had become so corpulant that he did not wish to be seen by the public? Nothing more romantic than that. That's what I heard.

That is my understanding. It was too public and he used the tunnel to get to his horses that were stabled in the Dome and ride them inside the Corn Exchange.
The openness of the Pavilion is why Queen Vic didn't like it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I knew they were there, they go all over the place, from the Pavilion to the clubs on the seafront, and cellars of places like the Cricketers and Hotel du Vin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here