Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking charges and revenue

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I read that Brighton has the highest income from parking charges in the UK outside of London nearly £19m but it is ok because they are going to use it to offset OAP Bus passes. The RAC are up in arms saying that it is not permitted to use parking to raise money to be used in other areas. Any views either for or against?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
What about if parking charges in Haywards Heath were used to contribute to opening a new spoons in Haywards Heath ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What about if parking charges in Haywards Heath were used to contribute to opening a new spoons in Haywards Heath ???

Wouldnt affect me as I never park in Haywards Heath as I live near the town. No thats a lie I sometimes park at Iceland then spend £5 and get my £1 charge back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No but I wouldnt be consulted as I am not on the council and have a vested interest. Also I havent been in a Wetherspoons for a couple of years, so that wouldnt affect me either.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I read that Brighton has the highest income from parking charges in the UK outside of London nearly £19m but it is ok because they are going to use it to offset OAP Bus passes. The RAC are up in arms saying that it is not permitted to use parking to raise money to be used in other areas. Any views either for or against?

"but it is ok because they are going to use it to offset OAP Bus passes"

You say this as if its a good thing, You do realise you are going to have to travel on buses with other people to use these passes don't you?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

"but it is ok because they are going to use it to offset OAP Bus passes"

You say this as if its a good thing, You do realise you are going to have to travel on buses with other people to use these passes don't you?

I dont think it is ok and is possibly illegal but that is how the Brighton councillor said it as if it was OK.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Don't see a problem. People park illegally then they are the ones paying the fines. Where perhaps there should be changes is in using some of the money to reduce cost of resident's permits.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Always thought it to be an odd rule.

.. and they get caught out:

http://www.localgovernmentlawyer.co...-charges-auditor-finds&catid=1:latest-stories

Wouldn't it be just more open if was just allowed to be used as revenue ? .... and you get the opportunity to vote them out of you disagree with it's use ?

Personally I'd like to see a rule where people with cars in the cities (like London unless they have an absolute need for one) subsidise those in rural areas where you can't do without it.

Won't happen though.

Get annoyed with the personal freedom reason. I have the personal freedom to get a bus / tube / train wherever I like (mostly 24 hours a day) without the need of a car as do millions of others. Others who don't have that "freedom" shouldn't have to pay as much to run a car and I shouldnt have the freedom to run one when they are ample public transport alternatives.

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I dont think it is ok and is possibly illegal but that is how the Brighton councillor said it as if it was OK.
They won't use the money directly from the parking charges, but instead will offset an equal amount from their general budget, allowing the bus pass scenario to go trhough with no direct additonal cost.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Don't see a problem. People park illegally then they are the ones paying the fines. Where perhaps there should be changes is in using some of the money to reduce cost of resident's permits.

It's not the fines

It's the car park/ meter charges -£6 per hour!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here