Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article - What a Difference a Year Makes

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I left the stadium after that Millwall game totally anti BHAFC and football to the point where I was seriously thinking why bother.

It is amazing how things have changed just in a year

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On reflection it was interesting to see where Charlton were on Saturday. An unknown set of players (though some undoubtedly quick and skillful), a coach who looked pretty clued up in the first half but clueless in the second, an immobile defence, no luck and fans who went from protest, to celebration to resigned nervousness to starting to leave on 2-2 (and not many turned up either). It certainly reminded me of something....

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Good article -
Interesting that a lot of people I've spoken to have referred to the Millwall game under Sami as the ultimate low point in recent years etc. I sort of agree, but I do also remember going to Upton Park in (April?) 2012 under Gus, when just as last last Saturday a certain Vaz Te was against us. This time, however, we were 3 down after 10 minutes (two from Vaz Te) - and just on Saturday, the Albion team was stunned and completely off the pace as a result. In that case, Gus was just as unable as Sami against Millwall to orchestrate any kind of come back, or even to staunch the flow; indeed we went on to capitulate 6-0 (including Vaz Te's hat-trick). Although that season as a whole wasn't nearly as bad as Sami's half season, it did have some very low points indeed, which just reinforces in my mind how much difference Hughton has really made - the comparison stands with other recent managers, not just Sami.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
M
Good article -
Interesting that a lot of people I've spoken to have referred to the Millwall game under Sami as the ultimate low point in recent years etc. I sort of agree, but I do also remember going to Upton Park in (April?) 2012 under Gus, when just as last last Saturday a certain Vaz Te was against us. This time, however, we were 3 down after 10 minutes (two from Vaz Te) - and just on Saturday, the Albion team was stunned and completely off the pace as a result. In that case, Gus was just as unable as Sami against Millwall to orchestrate any kind of come back, or even to staunch the flow; indeed we went on to capitulate 6-0 (including Vaz Te's hat-trick). Although that season as a whole wasn't nearly as bad as Sami's half season, it did have some very low points indeed, which just reinforces in my mind how much difference Hughton has really made - the comparison stands with other recent managers, not just Sami.

That was the worst/best example of Gus shooting his mouth off at other managers. The dour West Ham performance at the Amex resulting in a 0-0 focused Gus into verbally attacking Sam Allardyce, as a boring manager, for the rest of the season.
Actions spoke louder than words at Upton Park.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
MIllwall at home last year is the only Game i have missed at the Amex... as I was at an Xmas do.... i am thrilled that is the one game ;-)

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Brighton team v West Ham - 14 Apr 2012

1 Brezovan

3 Greer
6 El-Abd
14 Calderon
22 Painter

8 Navarro
15 Vicente (Noone - 64' )
18 Dicker
26 Bridcutt

9 Barnes (Mackail-Smith - 53' )
13 Assulin (LuaLua - 53' )

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I really liked that. It was a great read. I am trying to remember all the players that left in the summer - who was the disruptive influence? Kemy Agustein (had to look up the retained list to remember his name)

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Good article -

The game probably goes down as my worst away visit ever. Not just because of the result but also the constant homophobic abuse from start to finish whilst the Met's finest just stood there listening.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Low point for me was Rotherham at home. I remember thinking how far we had sunk when with 5 mins to go I wanted whistle to go because they looked far more likely to get the winner

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I really liked that. It was a great read. I am trying to remember all the players that left in the summer - who was the disruptive influence? Kemy Agustein (had to look up the retained list to remember his name)

*taps nose*

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
The game probably goes down as my worst away visit ever. Not just because of the result but also the constant homophobic abuse from start to finish whilst the Met's finest just stood there listening.

Agreed - my worst one too. It was grim all round, and the good hour's wait to get on the tube afterwards didn't help.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here