Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton "undervalued"

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This article on football investment is a couple of days old and I'm a bit surprised it's not been posted.

It's an interesting read in its own right but this bit really caught my eye. "In the summer, for instance, Omar Chaudhuri – the head of football intelligence for 21st Club, which does consultancy work for teams across Europe as well as potential investors – argued that Brighton were unlucky to be nearly relegated from the Championship last season, and that they deserved to be 12 places and 20 points higher. Such assessments can show that the league table is misleading, which may hint at a club being over or undervalued."

I know a few fans of other clubs are surprised that a team that was nearly relegated last year are in the promotion zone this season, but it's interesting there's some deeper analysis going on. Wonder if there's anyone eyeing Brighton up now.

And, as an aside, head of football intelligence sounds like a great job to have

This article on football investment is a couple of days old and I'm a bit surprised it's not been posted.

It's an interesting read in its own right but this bit really caught my eye. "In the summer, for instance, Omar Chaudhuri – the head of football intelligence for 21st Club, which does consultancy work for teams across Europe as well as potential investors – argued that Brighton were unlucky to be nearly relegated from the Championship last season, and that they deserved to be 12 places and 20 points higher. Such assessments can show that the league table is misleading, which may hint at a club being over or undervalued."

I know a few fans of other clubs are surprised that a team that was nearly relegated last year are in the promotion zone this season, but it's interesting there's some deeper analysis going on. Wonder if there's anyone eyeing Brighton up now.

And, as an aside, head of football intelligence sounds like a great job to have

Head of football intelligence sounds like a contradiction in terms.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I thought we were lucky to stay up. In footballing terms, we were awful last season and very fortunate that there were 3 or 4 teams even worse than us. But everything is in place isn't it..the stadium and training facilities, so any potential investor knows it doesn't have to spend big on infrastructure. And if Albion go up, we will become an even more attractive proposition. But Bloom won't want to get us up only then to sell but who knows what will happen in the future?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
"the prize money for finishing bottom of the Premier League will be more than £100m – eclipsing the amount earned by this year’s champions. ....wow that is worth chasing. Not that we want to finish bottom though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought we were lucky to stay up. In footballing terms, we were awful last season and very fortunate that there were 3 or 4 teams even worse than us. But everything is in place isn't it..the stadium and training facilities, so any potential investor knows it doesn't have to spend big on infrastructure. And if Albion go up, we will become an even more attractive proposition. But Bloom won't want to get us up only then to sell but who knows what will happen in the future?

The point of the article though, is that investors are looking beyond the infrastructure and even beyond league position as those don't give a true indicator of a club's real worth. Love to see some of the figures for these clubs - wonder which ones are over-valued

Less impressed with the comment underneath that bracketed us with QPR and Portsmouth as decent investments. How anyone can think that a club that has gone into administration four times (I think) in about 20 years is a good investment is beyond me

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
"the prize money for finishing bottom of the Premier League will be more than £100m – eclipsing the amount earned by this year’s champions. ....wow that is worth chasing. Not that we want to finish bottom though.

Yep works out as well that its 11m PER GAME for each side...then the prize for finishing bottom which is MORE than winning the champs league.

So yes its financially better to be bottom of the prem than win the champs league. Mental.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila

And isn't that without the parachute windfall...... but yes if we go up we'll want to stay there. Have a sneaky feeling we might manage to as well

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I love articles like this, maybe it is because I am a nerd and work with stats.

It reminded me of a similar article when (I think) West Ham were last relegated. The stats showed that they hit the woodwork more times than any other team that season and had the 'normal' amount actually found the net, then they would have stayed up and been mid table. I guess that is a time when these guys would say it was a false position and therefore still worth an investment

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Football is still a dumb investment unless you have an existing brand such as United or Liverpool, or want to build a brand for something else such as City.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know a few fans of other clubs are surprised that a team that was nearly relegated last year are in the promotion zone this season
Were they also surprised when a team that finished in the playoffs two seasons running, were then nearly relegated, or does it not work that way around?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
The point of the article though, is that investors are looking beyond the infrastructure and even beyond league position as those don't give a true indicator of a club's real worth. Love to see some of the figures for these clubs - wonder which ones are over-valued

Less impressed with the comment underneath that bracketed us with QPR and Portsmouth as decent investments. How anyone can think that a club that has gone into administration four times (I think) in about 20 years is a good investment is beyond me

Actually once a club becomes more stable following that period it is probably one of the better investments with levels of debt etc. I look at a team like Bolton and think once they have sorted out this mess, gone down this year due to admin they will be one of the financially stronger sides around, little to no debt and almost starting again with players they can afford (after relegation clauses etc)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Actually once a club becomes more stable following that period it is probably one of the better investments with levels of debt etc. I look at a team like Bolton and think once they have sorted out this mess, gone down this year due to admin they will be one of the financially stronger sides around, little to no debt and almost starting again with players they can afford (after relegation clauses etc)

Bolton fans I have spoken to are convinced that this is exactly the case. Nobody will invest until they've gone into administration and written a load of debt off. This means relegation but as you say, also offloading any high earners and starting again.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's the theory but it didn't work out that way for Portsmouth

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Football is still a dumb investment unless you have an existing brand such as United or Liverpool, or want to build a brand for something else such as City.

Perhaps these US investors are being lured by a Jo Brand at Crystal Palace?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here