Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is your all-time favourite BHA manager and why?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Would you pick Stevie Gritt for doing the impossible, Micky Adams mark 1 for all the improbable success he brought or Russell Slade for just being a bloody nice bloke? Mullery for taking us all the way to the top? Melia for the cup final run? Then there's Poyet who brought about a revolution in the way we fans expect our team to play...and where does Chris Hughton sit in your all-time list?

Mine has to be Wendy Wilkins, what with him being an ex-player and taking a bunch of Sussex lads and getting them to 7th in League One. I think in one Paint Pot Trophy game we had 8 or 9 homegrown players on the pitch at one time. At a time when the football was often dire, it gave me something to be very proud of and it made it a little bit easier ensuring my sons remained Brighton fans when occasionally they would bump into their heroes in town.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
bha2.jpg

Nuff said

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pat Saward. We were a mid-table 3rd Div club and he got us promoted - on a shoestring budget. I think the first promotion is always a bit special and that team was an attractive one

Spunk Bubble

Feb 21, 2007
Having seen plenty come and go since my 1st game back in 1980 our very own CH is top of the pile for me. Astute and can get a job done as he has proved before.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
1st Steve Gritt for me. Unbelievable home form. Achieved the impossible.

2nd Mickey Adams for building a quality squad from a shoe string.

3rd. Chris Hughton for dumping the tippy tappy football for direct, dynamic, fast flowing football. Hopefully some success will come too.

4th Slade. We should never forget the brilliant job Slade done for us when we looked certain for relegation. Bloom bought the club not long after. Great time for the club.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
My top 3 would be Steve gritt for restoring hope
Chris Hughton for exceeding expectations so far from an awful position
Micky Adams first time round for the mentality he built in the squad

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
1. Chris Houghton if the dream happens?
2. Micky Adams
3. Jimmy Melia for getting us to Wembley, even Europe had Smithy scored :angel:

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
1) Billy Lane the man to get us our first Football League promotion after 38 years of being in the league

2) Steve Gritt who saved us from oblivion.

3)Alan Mullery for taking us to the top division.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
2nd Mickey Adams for building a quality squad from a shoe string.

I loved that promotion season - particularly after all the years of misery with Archer & Co but that wasn't a squad built on a shoestring. We were quite big spenders by fourth division standards. Zamora wasn't cheap (even if he was a bargain) and we won a few bidding wars, one over Nathan Jones and one over Geoff Pitcher (hard to imagine now)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Pat Saward.

Perhaps that was because it was at a time in my life when a). I was able to watch the Albion more (hitch-hiking was often quicker than British Rail in those days, as well as cheaper!) and b). I was young then too! Did love that team though, played some glorious football - always felt at the time they could have done OK in the first division had they got there, such was the quality of some of the play, but unfortunately the violently physical bear-pit that was division two in those days was too much for them.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
1. Chris Hughton - Carpe Diem
2. Alan Mullery
3. Archie Macaulay, because he was manager when i first started going to the Goldstone.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I have always thought Liam Brady held the post with a huge amount of dignity at a very difficult time and managed to get a rather ramshackle squad playing some good football occasionally.

However, it has to be Mullers for me, promotion to the top flight, great football, passion. Everything you want in a manager.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I loved most of the Barry Lloyd era and don't care what anyone else says about it!

Hard to compare them all as times and circumstances varied so much. I'd buy pints for Gritt, Mullers, Brady, Case, McGhee, Adams and Hughton.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Surprised people are avoiding saying Poyet. In the 31 years I have been watching the club he played the best football. The league one winning season was amazing and wins away at Charlton and Peterboro were as complete performances as I have ever seen. Throw in the 6-1 vs Blackpool, 3-0 vs Palace and beating the likes of Newcastle and Sunderland and you have one hell of a manager. Forget how it ended, Gus transformed our club and way of playing like no other manager before him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm on my own here but for me it's Mark McGhee. He took over in 2003 after Coppell's relegation season, we'd just lost Zamora, Falmer was still a pipe dream yet Withdean fatigue had already set in. It could all so easily have gone tits up. I loved that 2003/04 season and the play-off win at the Millennium Stadium, and he performed a miracle in keeping us up in the Championship the following season.

Not only that but since parting company his support for the club has been exemplary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here