Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Lewes worst recycling rate in Sussex

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Lucas refuses to talk to the BBC reporters about the poor recycling ,that makes a change her not opening her mouth, Labour are trying to put right a poor management by the Greens past bad decisions.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
In Brighton it's the result having the greatest number of people living in (pokey) flats and therefore it being very hard to organise and having anywhere to store the stuff.

The technology exists to separate rubbish now anyway.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
In Brighton it's the result having the greatest number of people living in (pokey) flats and therefore it being very hard to organise and having anywhere to store the stuff.

The technology exists to separate rubbish now anyway.

No its more the point that they want us to recycle having previously given us separate bins to put paper and cardboard in and a separate one for glass. Now they expect me to walk 200yds to put my paper recycling in one bin and a further 200 yds to walk to put glass in another bin etc. in as they are not together Thats not on ! I appreciate the council wanting me to put into communal bins but not 200 yds apart in totally opposite directions , but also they could have put them together . That as well as having collected previously at my door , and now , charge me more for the previlidge of me having to dispose of my waste at their convenience in bins away from my door , is totally inconvenient.
It sounds crass and the fact that i could make the effort to recycle , but not when the so called green council then blow their trumpet at how good they have been about providing recycling when, infact they have reduced the service and charged more , yet other councils have done better
Rant over

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
No its more the point that they want us to recycle having previously given us separate bins to put paper and cardboard in and a separate one for glass. Now they expect me to walk 200yds to put my paper recycling in one bin and a further 200 yds to walk to put glass in another bin etc. in as they are not together Thats not on ! I appreciate the council wanting me to put into communal bins but not 200 yds apart in totally opposite directions , but also they could have put them together . That as well as having collected previously at my door , and now , charge me more for the previlidge of me having to dispose of my waste at their convenience in bins away from my door , is totally inconvenient.
It sounds crass and the fact that i could make the effort to recycle , but not when the so called green council then blow their trumpet at how good they have been about providing recycling when, infact they have reduced the service and charged more , yet other councils have done better
Rant over

oh COME ON. Inconveniant? Walking 400 yards is not inconveniant. Do you want recycling bins lining the streets instead so you don't have to go any further than outside your front door?

Do me a favour.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not surprising given the archaic way it's done by Lewes. Need to separate everything and put into bags or boxes which don't store in the house and then put them out for a converted milk float to drop by and 2/3 blokes to hand sort it into different bins. Then they leave half of it behind as we seemingly don't know what plastic and/or cardboard is even when it's clearly labelled

Oh for Horsham, one neat wheely bin where everything would go and be hooked up by a truck and gone as soon as it came and council tax 30% less than where we are now

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
oh COME ON. Inconveniant? Walking 400 yards is not inconveniant.

thats a 1/4 mile and a 4-5 minute walk for many. yeah, that's pretty inconvenient, especially in different directions (which i think was the point).

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
thats a 1/4 mile and a 4-5 minute walk for many. yeah, that's pretty inconvenient, especially in different directions (which i think was the point).

Or you could take it on the way to somewere else, which is what I do. It's not hard. Going door to door with trucks that need to pick up all recycling is a crazy idea, especially in Brighton.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
yeah !! when orriginally they provided the service . i wouldnt mind if they said bins are now communal but becuase we no longer collect there will be a reduction in your council tax . Instead it has gone up and i now instead of recycling in bind provided outside now have to go to inconvenient street loactions . I am not the only one who thinks this way , hence the low recycling rates . its about providing a service which the council is clearly out of touch with .

D

Deleted member 22389

Not surprising given the archaic way it's done by Lewes. Need to separate everything and put into bags or boxes which don't store in the house and then put them out for a converted milk float to drop by and 2/3 blokes to hand sort it into different bins. Then they leave half of it behind as we seemingly don't know what plastic and/or cardboard is even when it's clearly labelled

Oh for Horsham, one neat wheely bin where everything would go and be hooked up by a truck and gone as soon as it came and council tax 30% less than where we are now

Lewes District Council and the pathetic black boxes and pathetic bags for cardboard and stupid long bed milk float, don't get me started. At least they could give us a wheelie bin for cardboard and paper. No wonder they are not recycling enough. I have complained about it on many occasions but Lewes District Council never listen, they even refused to pick up some cardboard once because I couldn't fit it in the bag. I phoned them up, told them I was putting it in the general rubbish now, and they told me that wasn't allowed.

10th most expensive council tax in the country, some of the poorest recycling services I have seen.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton

My point is that if they had provided the same recycling for both paper and glass at same point , icould pretty much swallow that and accept the reduction in services , but to put them so blatantly apart just discourages people from recycling . thats where they have it wrong .

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'd rather not have 5 boxes of recycling full outside my flat, including loads of glass bottles, thank you very much. Communal bins make loads more sense and a tiny bit of effort from eveyone would make it all run prefectly well.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Lewes District Council and the pathetic black boxes and pathetic bags for cardboard and stupid long bed milk float, don't get me started. At least they could give us a wheelie bin for cardboard and paper. No wonder they are not recycling enough. I have complained about it on many occasions but Lewes District Council never listen, they even refused to pick up some cardboard once because I couldn't fit it in the bag. I phoned them up, told them I was putting it in the general rubbish now, and they told me that wasn't allowed.

10th most expensive council tax in the country, some of the poorest recycling services I have seen.

Ha ... and can trump that with the totally sh*t garden waste

Horsham, every other week all year for £35

Seaford .. need to buy a bin for £40(?) then £70 a year, collect every two weeks but it stops at the end of October just when the leaves start falling. Doesn't start again till March as if nobody does any garden work for 4 months

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I recycle everything I can but they don't make it easy. The closest thing to my flat is a communal street bin for rubbish which anyone can put anything in including recyclables. The nearest recycling for paper plastic and cans is a walk round the corner (about 3 mins) and the nearest glass is about 8 mins away. For people who aren't too bothered about recycling, I can see why they might choose the first most convenient option and just chuck it all in the rubbish bin.

The councils with better recycling rates probably have a higher proportion of door to door collections where it is easier to restrict how much rubbish is collected (eg one smaller bin once every 2 weeks), and when you're rubbish and recycling is collected from your house it is just as easy to recycle as it is to put things in the rubbish bin.

In short, when it is easier and more convenient, and totally unrestricted in terms of volume, to chuck away rubbish, than it is to recycle (in some cases), you will get lower recycling rates!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Same in Hastings. It works well; the bin is huge, and collected every two weeks. In fact, as we take it seriously, the recycling bin is almost always full, and the black bin about half full.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Ha ... and can trump that with the totally sh*t garden waste

Horsham, every other week all year for £35

Seaford .. need to buy a bin for £40(?) then £70 a year, collect every two weeks but it stops at the end of October just when the leaves start falling. Doesn't start again till March as if nobody does any garden work for 4 months

Brown garden bin in Hastings is £41.00, collected every two weeks, though I think it stops for a couple of months after Xmas, but has been invaluable this autumn with the leaves, and of course in summer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here