Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What a difference a year makes

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
On the 7th December 2014 we had just lost 3-0 to Derby. As I typed that score, I typed it as 30-0 initially and, had Derby really been bothered that day, they probably could have scored that many.

Hyypia's tactical naivety was exposed for all to see as we got torn apart repeatedly before putting on Rohan Ince after 27 minutes to try and retain some degree of respectability.

The Albion starting XI that day featured 5 loanees, including Gary Gardner.

We were near the bottom of the trough - third bottom Albion had recorded only three wins from the opening 20 games.

It got worse before it got better. The following Saturday Millwall visited the Amex. An Albion win would have hauled us out of the bottom three as we leapfrogged the visitors. The script wasn't written like that though and in what was a dreadfully poisonous atmosphere, the Albion succumbed to a side who would eventually be relegated.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 10.30.37.png

Over the whole of the 2014-15 campaign, we amassed ten victories. With Saturday's amazing comeback, we have already beaten that tally this season and we have 27 more games to go.

What a turnaround it has been.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
It's been amazing, Hughton has really transformed us and after or comeback performance on Saturday I'm really starting to believe. It's a tough month though, potentially a season defining month, I'm not expecting us to go unbeaten against five of the top half teams but 8 points in December would do me :albion2:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Who remembers Hyypia's "tucked in wingers"? What the hell was all that about. That time supporting the Albion seems like a bad dream. Could not be happier with the way Hughton has turned things around, he has worked a miracle in my opinion.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Interesting to see that the bottom 5 then were still there at the end of the season. The only change (thank god!) was us swapping places with Millwall.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The lowest of the lowest was that Millwall home game last season, when I left the stadium I really was utterly pi$$ed off with everything BHAFC.

Still one year on and what a change

Hugo Rune

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Just read the Hummus thread. I can't believe we've let our star midfielder down like this. Just when we thought everything was different to last year, we get this! With Kayal (and probably Hemed now) expected to be leaving for pastures new in January, perhaps we've seen the Albion peak. I'm still in shock at how we treat our players.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If you look at the whole table Derby were top 7 points clear of 7th and look what happened to them - we do have 3 points more from 1 game less though

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Where are all the muppets from back then (and before) who said that 442 would not work anymore, was an antiquated system and all the rest of the bull sh*t? Perhaps we should take a look at some of the old threads and name and shame :)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
A year ago Millwall came to town, fights braking out all over the stadium, Saturday was unbelievable, complete polar opposites!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That Derby game last year was one of the most depressing afternoons of an awful season. I didn't go there with much hope but when the teams were announced, I couldn't believe it. It was so obvious to almost everyone in that ground that it was the wrong team (sadly except the manager who picks the team) and he compounded his decision by going back to the same starting midfield for the Millwall game when Ince had done well at Derby after coming on.

This year is so different. I still think there's a good chance we'll lose at Derby but, whatever happens, we're guaranteed to be in the top two after the game and could well be top. What a job Hughton, the new recruitment team and the players have done in the twelve months since then!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Who remembers Hyypia's "tucked in wingers"? What the hell was all that about.

The day he said he favoured squad rotation was the day I knew his number was up. So thats pre season then.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I lost my rag at that Millwall game making my way down to the front to shout dogs abuse at Hyppia as he left the field. I then lost it again as I watched the interview with him smirking about the performance, his clear lack of a plan to take us forward and IIRC him mentioning the AC Milan game AGAIN.

The best bit about the current lot is they don't know they are beat, they have team spirit, led exceptionally well and work for each other. Everything our rag tag bunch of loanees and last pay day old pro's didn't have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here