Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Small joys of yesterday

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, it was a great comeback win, yes we're back on top of the Championship, yes, we're still unbeaten, all of which is amazing.

But I just thought about some of the smaller joys that simply added to my day yesterday.

-the referee booking the Charlton keeper in the first half for time wasting. They never usually do that. Players only get picked up for it in the second half, so it was excellent that the official seemed to be on to it early. The fact that (I believe) the keeper is related to Wayne Henderson, and subsequently went on to have a fairly poor game was a bonus.

-that Charlton sub with the hair like Legolas, who I originally thought was one of the women's team members (assumed she was there to promote today's game). Wish they'd brought him on: from speaking to various Charlton fans, he's absolutely useless.

-Vaz Te getting subbed after an entirely mediocre display. His rolling around injured in the first few minutes and conning the referee into stopping the game did grind my gears.

-the way the players responded to Hemed's goal. Virtually the entire team descended on him to celebrate. That wasn't just a reaction to a winner. It felt like a genuine shared joy that the big man had ended his goal drought, and they all looked properly thrilled for him.

-Calderon, boot & sock off, and leg encased in ice, leaping up out of the bench and jumping around on his good leg for both late goals

-Greer running straight over to hug Stockdale at the final whistle. Brilliant to see recognition from another player of Stockdale's role in that victory.

-Greer's fist-pumping response as he subsequently walked around the pitch at the end. Love it when players get caught up in that emotion. I like to know they care. Even Lewis Dunk was smiling as he came off, and he never smiles.

Yep, I'm still buzzing... :)

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Reminds me of the look on Kishishev's face when we won at Dagenham in the promotion year. He came off fist pumping, his eyes out on stalks, it was hilarious. I like to see it means something.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Everyone is buzzing at the moment, i think coming back from 2-0 down will only improve things for us(team spirit wise)
Once we had got it back to 2-1 i fancied us to get at least a point but to do it in the space of a few minutes was unreal, what a day

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Vaz Te getting subbed after an entirely mediocre display. His rolling around injured in the first few minutes and conning the referee into stopping the game did grind my gears.
You mean the 4th best player in the world behind Elliot Bennett, Dan Harding and John Arne Riise had a bad game? Surely some mistake?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Yeah, it was a great comeback win, yes we're back on top of the Championship, yes, we're still unbeaten, all of which is amazing.

But I just thought about some of the smaller joys that simply added to my day yesterday.

-the referee booking the Charlton keeper in the first half for time wasting. They never usually do that. Players only get picked up for it in the second half, so it was excellent that the official seemed to be on to it early. The fact that (I believe) the keeper is related to Wayne Henderson, and subsequently went on to have a fairly poor game was a bonus.

-that Charlton sub with the hair like Legolas, who I originally thought was one of the women's team members (assumed she was there to promote today's game). Wish they'd brought him on: from speaking to various Charlton fans, he's absolutely useless.

-Vaz Te getting subbed after an entirely mediocre display. His rolling around injured in the first few minutes and conning the referee into stopping the game did grind my gears.

-the way the players responded to Hemed's goal. Virtually the entire team descended on him to celebrate. That wasn't just a reaction to a winner. It felt like a genuine shared joy that the big man had ended his goal drought, and they all looked properly thrilled for him.

-Calderon, boot & sock off, and leg encased in ice, leaping up out of the bench and jumping around on his good leg for both late goals

-Greer running straight over to hug Stockdale at the final whistle. Brilliant to see recognition from another player of Stockdale's role in that victory.

-Greer's fist-pumping response as he subsequently walked around the pitch at the end. Love it when players get caught up in that emotion. I like to know they care. Even Lewis Dunk was smiling as he came off, and he never smiles.

Yep, I'm still buzzing... :)

Agree entirely with the general sentiment. Also still buzzing!

However, Vaz Te did have a couple of sublime touches in the lead up to both of their goals. We should give Charlton a decent amount of credit for those goals rather than focus on our defensive shortcomings in the first half. Not so their fans mind. All of 1,200 of them, some of whom were full of it - your support is f****** s***; you're s*** and you know you are etc. in the 1st half. They must rank amongst the worst supporters in the Championship, numbers and attitude: they've gone down in my estimation.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here