Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I believe?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I was looking at the thread about the 'Boro message board and their collective view on us. Most of them seemed to be of the opinion that our time was almost up, that we'd get a gubbing soon and that we'll go on and lose twenty on the bounce after that. Or something.

It's annoying to see supporters of other teams dismiss us so curtly but the odd thing is that I have spent a lot of the season until now doing much the same thing to my various friends that are starting to ask about what's going on down at The Amex. I never like to be too bullish or overconfident. Caution seems to be my default setting. As much as I have loved the season so far I have spent all of it waiting for the wheels to come off.

...but...

the way we won today's match has stirred the optimist buried deep down inside me. I've had this nagging voice in my head in recent months. I've been trying to keep it quiet but it keeps coming back a little louder each time. There are a couple of stories behind us this year. The air-show tragedy and the way the club and supporters came together seemed to galvanise us early in the season. Then there is story of Bobby returning home after more than a decade away to possibly lead us to the promised land. Add Hughton, cruelly discarded by Premier League paymasters, showing his mettle again with us. This is the stuff newspaper editors love. Fairytale stuff essentially.

Basically, it's taken 19 matches but I am just starting to believe. I should probably have waited until after the next three matches to post this but today's match has got the blood pumping a little. I'm guessing that many of you are way ahead of me. If so, what was the point that made you think we are serious contenders? If not, what's it going to take to make you think so?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We are serious contenders at the moment. Wonderful to be able to rejoice. Whether we'll still be 'serious contenders' after a further thirty odd games remains to be seen. Counting no chickens, but it's looking good.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The reaction from other clubs is to be expected as we were shit last season for quite a while and we all know the reasons why therefore just claim we are lucky, the proof as to how good we are starts next Saturday but beware and look at Hull 1 point out of 9 and I suspect at some point we may have a wobble.

The more serious intent plays itself out next month in the transfer window.

theboybilly

I was a little unsure of how good we were up until Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough. I (probably) over-analysed things after a lacklustre home performance against Blackburn, a poor second half at Craven Cottage after a first 45 minutes of absolutely blowing Fulham away (and winning by virtue of a last-minute penalty) and also losing a 2-goal lead at Portman Road, but just having enough to sneak away with three points. I thought we might be overachieving and would soon get found out. But no, Albion have improved as the season has wore on and now I think we are rightfully promotion contenders. The performance at Hillsborough (and at Turf Moor for that matter) were textbook away performances. We were never really under pressure in either of those two games that many thought we would lose. I'm going to Derby at the weekend not in hope but with a real sense that this match could make our season. I must admit to a little bit of concern about our left-back situation but I think we'll be okay. After watching most of our fellow contenders I strongly believe there is not a better passing side than Brighton. All we need is to keep believing...and a bit of luck

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was thinking about how we used to be the media darlings under Poyet but we are doing better than we ever did under him in the Championship, yet now seem to be a team that pundits and fans of the other top clubs feel are lucky to be where we are.

It's weird, teams used to fear us but now they don't for some reason.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Irrespective of our promotion credentials the majority of the Middlesborough fans posting about us on their message board are arrogant tossers. Given the amount of money they've spunked on their team in theory they should be creaming this league and it is clearly a source of considerable chagrin to them that little old Brighton are still up there with the "elite" of the division.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did you not go last season?

We all know Hull, Burnley and QPR will get promoted because all the relegated teams always go straight up.
Plus they are the only teams world football actually cares about.

The Albion are just an irritation, having their moment in the sun before the big team decide to take over.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Reserving judgement till January but......
That spell of short quick passing in the Birmingham match was most concentrated bit of skill I've seen at the Amex
Yesterday's determination
bobby's impact on the club is greater than we're seeing. He's decided we're going up

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I was thinking about how we used to be the media darlings under Poyet but we are doing better than we ever did under him in the Championship, yet now seem to be a team that pundits and fans of the other top clubs feel are lucky to be where we are.

We are a team without any stars, so I keep hearing in the media, and we keep winning by the odd goal, which lets face it, is frustrating. Personally, I much prefer it this way, rather than be the team with all sorts of "stars" that everyone is desperate to beat. Obviously being unbeaten, we cannot hide that fact, but if were the big, brash, over-confident types, then our task would be so much greater, especially away from home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here