Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup :Salford v Hartlepools

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Dirty FC'ers one nil down thanks to a nasty trip in the box..... mind you, for years that penalty wouldn't have been given at Old Trafford !

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
Interesting how some folk use the title 'Hartlepools'. Where does that come from ?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Interesting how some folk use the title 'Hartlepools'. Where does that come from ?

"Hartlepools United made many early applications to join the Football League however their proximity to Sunderland, Newcastle United and Middlesbrough led to these applications being rejected.

In 1920 the Football League decided to form a third division. However this was based almost entirely in the South as the new division was created by absorbing virtually the entire top division of the Southern League, with Grimsby Town the only northern representative. This was rectified the following season when a Third Division North was created with Hartlepools being one of the founder members.

In 1968 the "s" and the "United" were dropped from the team name of "Hartlepools United". This was in connection with West Hartlepool being absorbed along with the old smaller town of Hartlepool and the village of Hart into one new borough named "Hartlepool". The appendage of "United" was finally restored in 1977."

From Wiki. I guess it's people showing their age :eek:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Feck me this is complete hogs wash! I am even tempted to switch over to the jungle crap.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
"Hartlepools United made many early applications to join the Football League however their proximity to Sunderland, Newcastle United and Middlesbrough led to these applications being rejected.

In 1920 the Football League decided to form a third division. However this was based almost entirely in the South as the new division was created by absorbing virtually the entire top division of the Southern League, with Grimsby Town the only northern representative. This was rectified the following season when a Third Division North was created with Hartlepools being one of the founder members.

In 1968 the "s" and the "United" were dropped from the team name of "Hartlepools United". This was in connection with West Hartlepool being absorbed along with the old smaller town of Hartlepool and the village of Hart into one new borough named "Hartlepool". The appendage of "United" was finally restored in 1977."

From Wiki. I guess it's people showing their age :eek:

Thank you for looking that up. I can see why older folk use that term now. It's even beyond my time.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wondered why there were no radio interviews with assorted Nevilles or mumbling Scholes this morning. Looks like the dream ( of more publicity) died on a wet Tuesday night in Hartlepool....welcome to real football!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here