Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is using Yodel this year?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I listened to the whereabouts of a delivery - "dartimbmoldmeearlk", the electronic recording kept saying - about 37 times before working out that it was the downstairs neighbour who had had it for about 10 days. I'd spent about 20 minutes trying to find a number to ring Yodel on too. I am not sure, at least from where i buy tat from, exactly where a good delivery service might be from. My orders recently have all been to my workplace, which i haven't been at all week, so there'll be a pile of boxes now by my desk, with a few people wondering which might be my secret santa gift and who it might be for.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
don't think Yodel are the worst, anyone that has had a parcel from Hermes might disagree but they are certainly 2nd worst. When buying online I will avoid companies that use either of these 2 companies unless they have an option to use a proper delivery service

WhingForPresident

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
We had a delivery consisting of 16 boxes into work the other day. Yodel driver delivers one box, i point out it says '2 of 16', he barely spoke English and kind of shrugged, then got in his van and drove off.

30 mins later he is back and the guy he was with who actually spoke English delivers 2 more boxes, labelled 6 of 16 and 1 of 2. Again, i point this out that there must be more on the van, which he denies.

Another hour later, theyre back again, reversing and going forward then reversing and going forward down the industrial estate for some unknown reason. This time they deliver the rest of the 16 without saying a word. Then i pointed out that the 2 of 2 wasn't there, but they were adamant that was all they had. Of course, they did have it, and they had to come back again at the end of the day.

Not to mention the amount of times theyve delivered a 'sorry we missed you' card through the door without even knocking or ringing, the time they left my new phone outside my door in pissing rain or the time they destroyed a pushchair we were returning.

Utter shit*****. Hope they go bust.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Yodel are shit. Impossible to get hold of and hopeless customer service. My heart sinks when I see they are delivering something for me.

Amazon really need their own courier.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Fabulous firm, never miss a delivery; mainly because my neighbour delivers for them so hangs on to stuff if I'm not in and runs it round later.

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
I tried three times to get them to pick up a parcel for return ... each time they failed to turn up .... in the end I found the number of their local depot and rang them up ... explained the situation and they offered to send someone round "tomorrow sometime" ... I declined their kind offer and asked the girl on the phone to expect a visitor in the next five minutes and that he had a parcel for her ....
Woeful company ...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yodel are shit. Impossible to get hold of and hopeless customer service. My heart sinks when I see they are delivering something for me.

Amazon really need their own courier.

Amazon split their deliveries between numerous companies and have their own courier company which will eventually do all their deliveries but they have too many at the moment.

One of my sons works for Hermes and has never had a complaint that was justified. Many try it on saying the parcel wasnt left but he takes a photo when he puts it behind somewhere or in shed etc. In this weeks papers Royal Maul are trialling Camera on their HHT that you sign for or for when they leave a parcel. What he has been doing for some time.

Last edited:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Amazon split their deliveries between numerous companies and have their own courier company which will eventually do all their deliveries but they have too many at the moment.

One of my sons works for Hermes and has never had a complaint that was justified. Many try it on saying the parcel wasnt left but he takes a photo when he puts it behind somewhere or in shed etc. In this weeks papers Royal Maul are trialling Camera on their HHT that you sign for or for when they leave a parcel. What he has been doing for some time.

I can't see Amazon ever wanting to roll out their own delivery network for the more rural areas of the country - it's far more likely that they'll focus on towns and cities. Given that most of the delivery cost for anything is in the final mile, I can't see them wanting to do that for rural areas.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They do have their own delivery company and son tells me their depot serving East Sussex where he lives is in Maidstone and like Yodel very few of their drivers speak English.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
They do have their own delivery company and son tells me their depot serving East Sussex where he lives is in Maidstone and like Yodel very few of their drivers speak English.

Yep, they deliver a tiny proportion of their own parcels. They'll probably expand this to take in the bigger cities, including one hour delivery slots, but I can't see them delivering all of their parcels to rural areas.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Their aim apparently is to do ALL their own deliveries and at the moment the company is called either One Notion or One Motion or very similar, so my son says who is sitting wathing the cup with me. One of their drivers was driving up and down Wadhurst High St looking for an address and eventully ,my son told him where it was.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Their aim apparently is to do ALL their own deliveries and at the moment the company is called either One Notion or One Motion or very similar, so my son says who is sitting wathing the cup with me. One of their drivers was driving up and down Wadhurst High St looking for an address and eventully ,my son told him where it was.

It wouldn't make economic sense for them to cover all of their deliveries to the rural areas, when they have Royal Mail to do that for them. As the vast majority of the delivery cost is in the final mile, they can offload a lot of the financial risk by using another courier for that part of the journey.

I've worked for three of the main players in the parcels and express parcels market, so know the industry pretty well. They might be publicising that their stated aim is to eventually deliver all of their own deliveries, but I think internally they'll know exactly how difficult that would be to achieve, both in terms of the financials and the customer experience, i.e. the risk of using non-english speaking drivers with poor knowledge of whatever area they're in.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Do not most of the companies use non English with Sat Navs in their own native tongue?

That is more the hallmark of the more 'budget' courier companies. If you look at Royal Mail, DPD, UPS & TNT, they don't operate using that model, and this is why they are the favoured courier for most of the larger, more respectable retailers etc.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We had a parcel bought from E bay elivered by DPD and that was delivered by a non English speaking courier from their Crawley depot It was however exactly when the tracking said it would be delivered.within about 5 mins. Royal Mail are rubbish now as 1st class never arrives for at least 4 days from order or despatch.

Arent TNT and Hermes both owned by the same company in Germany or am I getting mixed up with another company.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here