Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite doughnuts?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I like ring ones without any sugar. Sainsbury's used to do ball oes with butterscotch filling I used to like.

In my head that is read in a voice of a small child like the Haribo advert with the boardroom.

Standard jam are best.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Jam ones always.
Ellas yummy delights sell amazing home made jam doughnuts every Thursday. Just down the road from Brighton station

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Without a doubt Morrisons jam but they must be eaten soon after purchase as they go stale and stodgy very quick. Bought a bag of custard and bag of Jam yesterday on a 2 for £1 deal from Co op but they were a bit hard from the off.

Without a doubt ... the freshly fried peach doughnuts that used to be sold in Mr Vogel's bakery in St James's Street, Brighton. Hot and stuffed with half a fresh peach and covered with a light sprinkling of sugar.

Mr Vogel was an interesting character - a holocaust survivor, who expressed his gratitude to Britain by displaying a union flag and a photograph of Winston Churchill in his shop window.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Without a doubt Morrisons jam but they must be eaten soon after purchase as they go stale and stodgy very quick. Bought a bag of custard and bag of Jam yesterday on a 2 for £1 deal from Co op but they were a bit hard from the off.

Really? I love those self same doughnuts that you bought from the Co-Op, very tasty and amazing value, at two bags for £1.

Other than that, how I miss Forfar's in the Imperial Arcade, I often used to disappear in there for one of their sugary jammy treasures when l was in Brighton.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The fresh ones from the place on the seafront at the bottom of West Street. (They're much like the ones on the Pier but about 1/3rd of the price).

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
It is one of the things a microwave does well, softening a stale doughnut. Watch out for the jam though.
Like my doughnuts plain, except the caramel doughnuts that Coughlans used to do in Croydon.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I spent a couple of student summers making doughnuts for Knowles bakery with some amazing Vietnamese men... the raw doughnuts were churned out on a conveyor belt at the rate of 12 every few seconds by a machine called 'The Winkler'

Happy days :)

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Without a doubt ... the freshly fried peach doughnuts that used to be sold in Mr Vogel's bakery in St James's Street, Brighton. Hot and stuffed with half a fresh peach and covered with a light sprinkling of sugar.

Mr Vogel was an interesting character - a holocaust survivor, who expressed his gratitude to Britain by displaying a union flag and a photograph of Winston Churchill in his shop window.

Was the peach cooked? And was it added after the doughnut was fried? Or if it wasn't then how were they made?

I'm intrigued.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Not a donut fan, but these are amazing.

krispy-kreme-donuts.png

Was the peach cooked? And was it added after the doughnut was fried? Or if it wasn't then how were they made?

I'm intrigued.

My recollection is that the half peach was added as soon as the doughnut emerged from the oil. Peach wasn't the only option. If you wanted a traditional jam doughnut, jam would be injected into the centre of the doughnut, once it was cooked. The novelty of Mr Vogel's approach was that he would cook the doughnut while you waited.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

His doughnuts apart, the late Mr.Vogel sounds like an intriguing charachter, so sad that his like have nearly all gone now.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Of the supermarket variety, I'd agree with BG that Morrisons are the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here