Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hilary Benn

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
En route to being a political outcast (within the Labour Party) or to the Labour Party leadership?

Will become a serious player within the Labour ranks post Corbyn, while Jesus will return to being an annoying irrelevance in the not too distant future.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Hopefully his speech will have hastened the resignation of the present incumbent.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Opportunist.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
En route to being a political outcast (within the Labour Party) or to the Labour Party leadership?

After listening to his speech I was highly impressed in how eloquently he spoke. I don't agree with air strikes but he made more of a case for voting for them than our flabby faced wanker of a prime minister

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As posted on Facebook this morning by The People's Republic of Brighton & Hove...

12347962_1676280289253000_5224548723307368932_n.jpg

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Opportunist.

Do you think so? I would not have said this was an opportunist move. If he was truly an opportunist positioning himself to replace Corbyn he would have whispered against him in the shadows whilst backing the leader in public, wouldn't he? His father was certainly not an opportunist and he strikes me as a "conviction" politician.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you think so? I would not have said this was an opportunist move. If he was truly an opportunist positioning himself to replace Corbyn he would have whispered against him in the shadows whilst backing the leader in public, wouldn't he? His father was certainly not an opportunist and he strikes me as a "conviction" politician.

This is how I feel about him at the moment.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I think the spinning in the grave snipe fundamentally misunderstands Tony Benn. Benn senior would have disagreed with his sons position but would no doubt have respected his position and his eloquent speech setting out his reasons

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
A very strongly worded with great delivery and to the point statement which is at complete odds with the Labour leadership but politically very brave

So will RAF bombing will make any difference that Russia France and the USA Bombing can not, of course not, we are bombing in support of France which sends a strong message to the world

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Given the very healthy support that Corbyn got in his election, and the fact that the vast majority of the party's membership are against the bombing, very much the former.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Given the very healthy support that Corbyn got in his election, and the fact that the vast majority of the party's membership are against the bombing, very much the former.

Interesting to see in say 6 months time !!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
No doubt his speech was delivered eloquently and it appeared heartfelt but it was nothing more than emotive rhetoric. It was as profound as a Sun editorial.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To use the phrase of the moment ....

'A man of principle'

[ Although currently I disagree with him on airstrikes ]

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Well yes, I'd have thought of all the senior Labour politicians, he'd be least likely to be the next leader

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I saw Hilary Benn on Question Time a few months back and I was thoroughly impressed with him.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Doubtless the dinner party luvvies will have their long knives out, as he has dared to contradict them, or at least voice an opinion which is deemed not to be "correct", and the mob will also be outside his door. The electorate will, however, take note. I would think HB gained huge credit last night -when the front page of the Telegraph quotes him, then you know that he is on to a winner.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008

Will the healthy support last after a few election results?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Shock news, man has different opinion to father

i know, ironic the party that most vociferously advocates meritocracy wouldn't recognise this.

i dont think he is interested in leadship, at least right now, otherwise he'd have been involved in the last leadership election. shame, as he'd probably do a good job.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here