Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] (Very late) Birmingham match report

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Through work pressures I'd left this so late, that I wasn't going to bother, but as I enjoyed the game so much, I wanted to commit it to words.

http://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?580-Albi

You may enjoying reliving it. Or not. Up to you...

Solly March stole the headlines after the game - and understandably - he absolutely tormented Grounds all afternoon, with a display of pace, skill and direct running. Not since Will Buckley reduced Dan Harding to tears has the Amex seen a full back found so utterly wanting. His efforts to stop March grew more desperate as the game went on, and he lasted the 90 only due to the surprising generosity of Mr Ward. The Sunday tabloid claim of a £7.5m bid from Southampton, was surely just a rehash of an old story, timed off the back of a stand-out performance, but if he continues in this manner, genuine interest will surface for sure. The Hailsham youngster over-shadowed his wing partner on the day, but the quality of Murphy's own performance ought not be over-looked - testing the City defence constantly and ultimately contributing to both goals.

Last edited:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Great revue as usual Exile, thank you.:thumbsup:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Very well put together. Come the end of the season, I've a feeling the Birmingham game will be viewed as a turning point, as something very special. I can't quite put my finger on it; whether the Wilson debut, the March masterclass, the Kayal perfection or another winning Bobby goal? But something changed on Saturday, something good. This season is just out of this world.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The paragraph on Calde is pure football poetry - the reference to his joy in playing hits the mark for any one of us that ever put on a pair of boots. One of the best pieces I've read in years.
Delighted that you shared it

Dodgy seagull

May 14, 2015
Great read. That has got me really excited for Saturday now. I know we have some tough games coming up but I really think that on the day we have the beating of anyone if the performance against Brum is anything to go by. I will take a 1-0 or 2-1 win anytime but still feel with the way we have been playing a big score is due sometime. Cheers for the report.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Absolutely first class write up Exile, keep 'em coming please.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I always enjoy reading your narratives - they are first class sir!
Just out of idle curiosity what is it that you do for a living ?

It is actually Hove Born and Bred in another guise; he has to write these under a pseudonym so that the insightful, articulate, poetic prose doesn't improve HB&B's reputation.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I always enjoy reading your narratives - they are first class sir!
Just out of idle curiosity what is it that you do for a living ?

I'm a customer service manager :dunce:

In my professional life my creative writing is limited to polite replies to customer complaints!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
From one exile to another, your reports are always really entertaining and informative. Cheers!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Fantastic read again. I'm glad you singled out Murphy's superb display as although March overshadowed it with his unbelievable performance, Murphy was pure class as well...

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Ive only just got around to reading this (bad fan) but its a really excellent summary of the game and indeed of my thoughts about the game. Obviously better articulated than my personal ramblings though!! Many thanks.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Many thanks for all the very kind comments. I'm well aware mind, that people always enjoy reading good news - match reports on exciting wins pretty much write themselves.

Lets hope for another coming up soon...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here