Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rusk: Goldson has right attitude [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
CONNOR GOLDSON is making a favourable impression with Albion under-21s.
But development boss Simon Rusk knows the former Shrewsbury centre-back would love to be on a bigger stage.
Goldson is having to be patient for his chance after moving south in the summer but scored for his second successive game in the under-21s as they lost 2-1 to Arsenal at the Amex on Monday.
The commanding defender has shown a mature attitude on and off the pitch which has not gone un-noticed.
Rusk said: “He is a great voice in the dressing room. He has approached every game immaculately and he has proved he can be a threat from a set-piece.
“When you are not playing games every week, all you can do is be a good professional, turn up, work hard.
“I’m sure all the other players in the squad realise that getting a starting shirt in the first team when they are top of the league is tough.
“I thought Jake Forster-Caskey’s attitude and some of his play was excellent as well.
“He is someone who has come through the youth system and he approached the game in the right way. Our younger ones can learn from that.
“We’ve got a great group of professionals at first-team level here so it’s a pleasure having them come into the 21s.”
Albion’s youngsters have found the going tough this season but have enjoyed pleasing draws at Wolves and West Brom of late plus a big cup win over Norwich.
Rusk reckons games such as the tussle with Arsenal are of great value.

He said: “We want to win but the job is to develop players. We had Jayson Molumby come on at 16 years old and play against the likes of Callum Chambers.
“Let’s not take anything away from a good Arsenal side. They had some wonderful footballers but I thought the boys had a good go.
“I thought the older lads had a really good attitude and it’s great for our younger ones to be in that environment and learn from that.
“A 15-minute spell after half-time proved costly but there were far more positives than negatives on the night.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here