Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When were these photos taken at the Goldstone ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Came across these on google...

Bit of Aggro for Pretty Pink fairy to reminisce about....

Attachments

• 3346sci.jpg
    3346sci.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 3,395
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 3,171

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The second one is Chelsea's invasion of the pitch in 1983.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The second one is Chelsea's invasion of the pitch in 1983.

Are you sure? I don't remember the crossbar being broken.

Mind you, I couldn't name another game when it was, so it's quite possible it just wasn't the most memorable thing about the day. I presume the goal must have been replaced before the game carried on and I thought I'd remember that?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Mind you, I couldn't name another game when it was, so it's quite possible it just wasn't the most memorable thing about the day. I presume the goal must have been replaced before the game carried on and I thought I'd remember that?

I defeinitely remember the crossbar being broken straight after the final whistle.

The lack of North Stand roof dates it before 1985.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I defeinitely remember the crossbar being broken straight after the final whistle.

The lack of North Stand roof dates it before 1985.

That explains my memory lapse, then. I guess I left sharpish at the final whistle that day.

On the subject of the North Stand roof, how many years did it actually not have one? It seemed like ages, but it definitely had a roof on my first and last visits.

el punal

The pitch invasion was at the end of the game (mind you there may have been more before the final whistle). If anyone wants a reason why football-watching went down the tubes in the 80s this match was the perfect example. Chelsea had a notorious following at the time and thousands of them were in the Goldstone that day. It didn't matter which part of the ground you were in there was aggro there.

Probably the worst scene was after the game finished, a lone policeman was in the middle of the pitch, he was trying to get the invading fans off when he was jumped on, knocked to the ground and kicked unconscious. A foreign student who was in our group looked on horrified. He turned to us and said "Is this what the English call entertainment?". I'm afraid we didn't have an answer.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The pitch invasion was at the end of the game

Impossible. Look how many people are still in the ground!

It does rather explain why I didn't remember the crossbar being broken. I thought the game had been stopped for a while, but I'm probably confusing it with the Spurs "events".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here