Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hypocrisy or not?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I remember the anger vented here in previous seasons when the likes of Reading, Forest, Southampton, Leeds etc came in for our players, offering what we felt were way over the odds, when they were losing money as clubs. Some weren't in dire financial straits but we felt it was wrong to be losing money and "about to go bust" and they continued to poach our young talent.

Now, given our new stadium, new training centre and another multi-million pound loss do you think any club we now approach for players is going to feel the same way we did?

So do you think we were wrong then or would they be wrong to think that now?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
it's the way of the game in the current age old boy.......TB is now 140 mill in the hole......if we get promoted he get's weighed in ...in punting terms...!! shrewd business man and gambler , you can bet your arse we will end up in the prem and he will get his money back , he is obviously having a good go this season but according to "numerous experts"....derby and boro are nailed on......prrfftt...whatever...:thumbsup:

oh and the answer to your question is no and no....x

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I remember anger about them poaching players, but have no recollection that it was linked to them losing money.

I think supporters are always upset when a decent player is poached.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
No and no.

Out of interest, who did Reading pinch from us?

I think they used to nip in on our targets. Certainly Sidwell and a defender who I can't remember.

A complete conspiracy theory but I made up in my mind that Coppell and Pardew had some kind of deal going on and that Coppell knew he'd end up going to Reading.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I remember anger about them poaching players, but have no recollection that it was linked to them losing money.

I think supporters are always upset when a decent player is poached.

Harding to Leeds caused a huge backlash due to their financial position, I recall?

We also lost out on some good players to clubs who were struggling.

There was also an issue with someone going to Southampton when they were encountering problems, whatever happened to Southampton & Leicester?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Harding to Leeds caused a huge backlash due to their financial position, I recall?

I think that was all down to Harding or Dick Knight, depending on what story is the truth, rather than Leeds.

Anyway we may be losing money, like most clubs outside the premier league, but it appears we try our hardest to play within the rules and always pay our creditors. We suffered years trying to live within our means whilst other clubs openly flouted FFP and spent far beyond their means trying to buy their way to success with some going into administration more than once along the way. The success we achieved against such teams is even more amazing given the financial constraints we were under and continue to put ourselves under despite the losses.

It'll be a long time before such clubs can claim the moral high ground over us on this score.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I think they used to nip in on our targets. Certainly Sidwell and a defender who I can't remember.

A complete conspiracy theory but I made up in my mind that Coppell and Pardew had some kind of deal going on and that Coppell knew he'd end up going to Reading.

our biggest kafoop was not going large on van djyck....!! look at him now , destined for stardom.......can't in 'em all lads.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Ingimarsson?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think that was all down to Harding or Dick Knight, depending on what story is the truth, rather than Leeds.

Anyway we may be losing money, like most clubs outside the premier league, but it appears we try our hardest to play within the rules and always pay our creditors. We suffered years trying to live within our means whilst other clubs openly flouted FFP and spent far beyond their means trying to buy their way to success with some going into administration more than once along the way. The success we achieved against such teams is even more amazing given the financial constraints we were under and continue to put ourselves under despite the losses.

It'll be a long time before such clubs can claim the moral high ground over us on this score.

I'd agree, if you applied logic, most footie fans don't.

My point, although it would seem some don't agree, is each transfer window we had a limited pot and, as some have said, the likes of Sidwell etc have been snapped up by someone else and we've called foul play. It would be interesting now if, from an outsiders point of view, new stadium and huge losses, whether they feel the same way if we snap up their target.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Ingimarsson?

The problem with both Sidwell and Ingimarson was that neither were our players, Sidwell was on loan from Arsenal and Ingimarsson from Wolves. We were probably used as a shop window by those clubs, but we certainly had no right to moan when their parent clubs sold them.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The problem with both Sidwell and Ingimarson was that neither were our players, Sidwell was on loan from Arsenal and Ingimarsson from Wolves. We were probably used as a shop window by those clubs, but we certainly had no right to moan when their parent clubs sold them.

I think we were moaning at not having enough money to buy them as we struggled with FFP, yet clubs that "appeared" to have more significant financial issues could offer higher wages and a better deal. It just seemed that we wewren't all playing by the same rules, and my original point is that many could now think we were in similar troubles, i.e. big stadium, multi million pound losses, and would they think we were wrong?

I think we were moaning at not having enough money to buy them as we struggled with FFP, yet clubs that "appeared" to have more significant financial issues could offer higher wages and a better deal. It just seemed that we wewren't all playing by the same rules, and my original point is that many could now think we were in similar troubles, i.e. big stadium, multi million pound losses, and would they think we were wrong?
We weren't struggling with FFP. We were struggling with simply being skint.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

We also lost out on some good players to clubs who were struggling.

There was also an issue with someone going to Southampton when they were encountering problems, whatever happened to Southampton & Leicester?

Leicester are so nondescript and bland anything they do, good or bad, is quickly forgotten. Shit doesn't stick to Stains, they could be relegated with zero points and the media would say they were robbed and will bounce back.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd agree, if you applied logic, most footie fans don't.

My point, although it would seem some don't agree, is each transfer window we had a limited pot and, as some have said, the likes of Sidwell etc have been snapped up by someone else and we've called foul play. It would be interesting now if, from an outsiders point of view, new stadium and huge losses, whether they feel the same way if we snap up their target.
No foul play with the Sidwell transfer as far as I remember. We simply couldn't afford the £75k transfer fee, Reading could.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We weren't struggling with FFP. We were struggling with simply being skint.
Exactly. There was no FFP then.

The whole situation is completely different now anyway. It sounds daft but £10m losses in this division are in no way "huge".

Seeing as we have one of the highest average attendances, can you see any other club in the Championship (certainly without parachute payments or selling a player or two for £10m+) actually turning a profit?

What were QPR's losses when they were promoted?

The difference back then was that certain clubs had gone into administration, written off millions and then been bought out by a new owner who then started to splash the cash while we were "living within our means" (losing money but not ripping anyone off) but on our arse.

It was completely unfair that Leicester, Southampton, Leeds, Palace etc all did this and it was understandable that fans got pissed off about it.

The comparison to what those clubs did and us now is non existent.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm interested to see the list of clubs that made it to the prem, but aren't there now. Perhaps with the numbers of seasons spent in the prem included.

L2
Portsmouth
L1
Coventry
Blackpool
Wigan
Barnsley
Championship
Middlesbrough
Derby
Hull
Burnley
Birmingham
Reading
Cardiff
QPR
Fulham
Blackburn
Wolves
Leeds
Bolton
[probably missed a few]

Interestingly, over half the Championship has PL experience !!

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I'm interested to see the list of clubs that made it to the prem, but aren't there now. Perhaps with the numbers of seasons spent in the prem included.

L2
Portsmouth
L1
Coventry
Blackpool
Wigan
Barnsley
Championship
Middlesbrough
Derby
Hull
Burnley
Birmingham
Reading
Cardiff
QPR
Fulham
Blackburn
Wolves
Leeds
Bolton
[probably missed a few]

Interestingly, over half the Championship has PL experience !!

Seems to me that it's time for BHA to get some of the spoils of the EPL no matter how long the Albion are there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here