Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] January player transfer churn

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whether there's anything in it or not, the Southampton/Solly March story, coming on the day we enter December, marks the the proper start of the build-up to the January transfer window, and with the Albion flying high, there are sure to be suitors for some of our higher-performing players.

Those who could be targeted include: Dunk, Kayal, Stephens and March. LuaLua may be safe due to his injury, although we all hope he'll be back before the New Year.

Some of those who have been out of favour may also be subject to moves, whether of their own choosing or not. I'm thinking of the likes of Ince, JFC and Holla.

Those I think we can sleep easy about include Stockdale, Bruno, Calde, Greer, Hunemeier, Crofts, Murphy, Hemed, and Zamora.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Assuming we are in with a decent shout in January, are we really going to sell our best players? I don't think so.

I suggest that we are going to be the predators not the prey in January

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
We're in a great position to keep hold of players though with the prospect of promotion this season. If we don't go up then we can listen to offers at the end of the season, the same way we did with Elliot Bennett and others.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Can't see us selling any of our best players this Jan. What would be the point?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not sure if the 7.5 million figure quoted for March on that other thread has been made up by the journalist or not but I would think that would be around about our point of giving in. Would be gutted to see him go after his stunning performance on Saturday but he has had other games this season where he's constantly passed too short and wasted good positions. Fulham at home was one and Rotherham at home another. Maybe it's the run of games that has realised his potential though.

I'm sure loads will be sniffing round Stephens and Kayal. Hopefully the way the latter has settled in with Hemed will want him to stay. I'd certainly listen to any offer on Dunk that improved on what we turned down. The thing is I wouldn't want to sell him to a promotion rival and the reason I'd listen to silly money from the Prem is that I think he'd struggle against he bigger sides there and we HAVE to be planning for going up in some way given where we are.

Agree loans or sells may well happen for those not featuring regularly.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
My respective annoyance-ratings were we to lose each of those you've mentioned in January:

Dunk - 3.5/10 (low-medium) - shame to see him go, but a) it's inevitable he'll play at a much higher level and b) he has had a few absolutley insane moments of madness recently, notwithstandign our superb defensive record. Plus I have lots of confidence in Greer + BFG/Goldson as a pair.

Kayal - 10/10 (utter emotional meltdown) - selling Kayal now would be the equivalent of winning star baker every week during weeks 1-5 of Bake Off before turning up pissed on week 6, slapping Mary Berry on the arse, hurling racist insults at Paul Hollywood and offering Mel and Sue a threes up. It would be the end of our season.

Stephens - see Kayal

March - 7/10 (moderate) - Yes he's come to life in the past few weeks, but given the clubs track record of squeezing cash out of gullible Prem teams for players it's safe to say we'd be able to replace well.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I'm not sure if the 7.5 million figure quoted for March on that other thread has been made up by the journalist or not but I would think that would be around about our point of giving in. Would be gutted to see him go after his stunning performance on Saturday but he has had other games this season where he's constantly passed too short and wasted good positions. Fulham at home was one and Rotherham at home another. Maybe it's the run of games that has realised his potential though.

I'm sure loads will be sniffing round Stephens and Kayal. Hopefully the way the latter has settled in with Hemed will want him to stay. I'd certainly listen to any offer on Dunk that improved on what we turned down. The thing is I wouldn't want to sell him to a promotion rival and the reason I'd listen to silly money from the Prem is that I think he'd struggle against he bigger sides there and we HAVE to be planning for going up in some way given where we are.

Agree loans or sells may well happen for those not featuring regularly.

Wont put money on him scoring against Fulham at home then if he's due abad game for that one.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Bruno is out of contract in the summer, what if he was keen to secure his future beyond June ???

Can't see him going before the summer. Having a good season with us at the right end of the table will undoubtably mean there will be many suitors for him, presuming we don't offer him another year of course.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
My respective annoyance-ratings were we to lose each of those you've mentioned in January:

Dunk - 3.5/10 (low-medium) - shame to see him go, but a) it's inevitable he'll play at a much higher level and b) he has had a few absolutley insane moments of madness recently, notwithstandign our superb defensive record. Plus I have lots of confidence in Greer + BFG/Goldson as a pair.

Kayal - 10/10 (utter emotional meltdown) - selling Kayal now would be the equivalent of winning star baker every week during weeks 1-5 of Bake Off before turning up pissed on week 6, slapping Mary Berry on the arse, hurling racist insults at Paul Hollywood and offering Mel and Sue a threes up. It would be the end of our season.

Stephens - see Kayal

March - 7/10 (moderate) - Yes he's come to life in the past few weeks, but given the clubs track record of squeezing cash out of gullible Prem teams for players it's safe to say we'd be able to replace well.

Agree with all this but got a feeling that if Dunk does play at a higher level it won't be for long - he's been sussed by Championship strikers, so dread to think what Prem would do to him. As I said in another thread a few days ago, Dunk is a brilliant defender going forward, weaker when it comes to defending.

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
I doubt we'll see much movement out of the club this January, first teamers I'm sure will all stay, certainly can't see them going for something other than silly money. I believe our current good form is down to the strength we have in depth, with competition for places, to sell would reduce that and in turn could lead to a drop in performance level.
Will have to be someone special to come into the club as well, for the reasons above, competition is fierce, you've got be willing to compete and nobody's place is guaranteed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that many will leave in January only those not featuring like Holla Chicksen even possibly Crofts plus obviously one or two U21s like Monakana , Ankergren and just to throw a name in will their patience be tested by Manu?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think from what CH said last week Manu is here to stay. The suggestion was very much that he's not settled as quickly as hoped but still has a part to play.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

Stephens - see Kayal

Agreed.

Losing either of those will be a major blow for us. But I can't see a prem team coming in for Stephens. Kayak is another matter. Those 2 are, I believe, the 2 main reasons why we are where we are.

I will lose my shit if either goes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed.

Losing either of those will be a major blow for us. But I can't see a prem team coming in for Stephens. Kayak is another matter. Those 2 are, I believe, the 2 main reasons why we are where we are.

I will lose my shit if either goes.

Think we all will. Would be contrary to everything the club has said and done this season though so I am hopeful we would do our best to resist. Any offer would have to be enormous...............

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

:lolol::lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here