Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockade's Save

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I sit in East Upper and in all my many years of watching football that is the first time I have seen a standing ovation for a goalkeepers save

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Pretty sure FDM got one against Bristol City at Withdean. It was a fantastic save but I think relief played a massive part in the ovation too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pretty sure FDM got one against Bristol City at Withdean. It was a fantastic save but I think relief played a massive part in the ovation too.

This.

It was a good save, he got down well to it, but it wasn't what I'd call a "breathtaking" save, I've seen far better (he's made far better). The crowd reaction was primarily down to monumental relief at not chucking away 2 points in a game we should have had wrapped up after half an hour

(again)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This.

It was a good save, he got down well to it, but it wasn't what I'd call a "breathtaking" save, I've seen far better (he's made far better). The crowd reaction was primarily down to monumental relief at not chucking away 2 points in a game we should have had wrapped up after half an hour

(again)

Think it's more to do with this.........although from where I was I thought it was in as well to be honest. Very good stop but a bit short of a 'worldie' (despite what the commentary on the highlights says)

Ben Roberts during our season long run to play-offs - some of his saves that season defied belief

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
As mentioned above it was more about relief than the save itself, however I have seen many saves been praised by the fans.

Anyone who went to Reading will confirm Stockdale made four or five saves which all got a huge cheer from the fans at the quality and the importance of the save. until he well ****ed up.

Was it the Forset keeper who made a point blank save from Hemeds header on the opening game of the season which got an how the **** did you save that from around the ground?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

This.

It wasn't all about just one save that FDM made against Bristol City, it was a whole string of them. He kept them out almost single handed all game.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I sit in East Upper and in all my many years of watching football that is the first time I have seen a standing ovation for a goalkeepers save

Did you not stand up when he saved the penalty in the same match last season, just as important then as it set up a massive 3 points, as he did on Saturday

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Ben Roberts during our season long run to play-offs - some of his saves that season defied belief

Reflex wise Ben Roberts was absolutely incredible, some of his saves that season as you say were unbelievable. Shame his career was plagued by injuries.

One hot tub one ambition

Apr 28, 2015
Hove
Was it the Forset keeper who made a point blank save from Hemeds header on the opening game of the season which got an how the **** did you save that from around the ground?
Yes - too be fair though, the keeper just jumped up and made contact with the ball; it was more a reaction save than a reflex save. I would say Stockdale's save was better because it was a combination of the two, he managed to keep hold of it too and ultimately it saved from dropping two points - a notorious habit we seem to be finally growing out of.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is my memory playing rose tinted tricks on me?

But didn't Graham Moseley once do a spectacular Gordon Banksesque turning mid air save.
If he did that was the very best save I've seen.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
All this talk of Michel Kuipers makes me miss the great man. :down:

He was easily worth 10-15 points a season on his own. More, if he could save the odd penalty here and there. Amazing that his only save was in the City shootout!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That save away to Bradford was the best save I've ever seen from an Albion keeper. That, and his penalty save against Swindon in the 2nd leg of the play semi finals.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It begs the question - who is Albion's best ever shot-stopper? I reckon it's still Kuipers but Stockdale runs him close.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here