Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the sad face?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
London provides saddest selfies

The subjects of selfies taken in London are more glum-faced than their equivalents in any other city in the world, according to a new major data project.
Analysis of 150,000 images taken in central London and uploaded publicly on to Instagram in September found that the London style was a restrained upright pose, with much more unhappy facial expressions than counterparts in cities such as New York, Berlin and Moscow.
Using facial recognition software – which ranked 1 as most happy and 0 as least – London selfies were found to have an average of 0.55, compared with the average of 0.62 for Berlin, New York, São Paulo, Moscow and Bangkok.
The information will form part of a Big Bang Data exhibition at Somerset House in London. The show, which opens in early December, explores the recent explosion of data and asks what it reveals about modern society.
A team of data scientists, designers and researchers collected 152,462 pictures which had been tagged within a 25 sq km (9.6 sq ml) area around Somerset House over one week, 640 of of them deemed to be selfies.
Moritz Stefaner, a data designer who worked on the project, said selfies had proved a very rich data source.

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
GnMMESw.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Question is would you have posted that story if London posted the happiest selfies? I think I know the answer!

The article is London faces are sadder than Berlin ones; of course I wouldn't have posted it if it was reversed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here