Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it illegal to tell people they are fat?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Therefore it would be illegal to call someone 'skinny' or 'slim' surely?

Edit: Just read the article. The card given out is way OTT, it should be educational rather than hateful and abusive.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
sticks and stones ....

Might be slanderous if they are NOT fat?
Will need a definition of fat [BMI maybe?]
And probably a witness to make it stick in court.

If someone calls you fat, and you are. C'est la vie?

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
If I have been handed one (being a little on the portly side), the person handing it out would be looking for a new set of teeth!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i have been kicked off numerous chat sites on face book for slagging off fat ****kaz.....perfftt....it seems that being obese is the norm these days......fat fukkaz...:tosser:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its not just telling people they are fat though is it. Its a rant that ends up in outright abuse.

I don't know what type of person you'd have to be to get off on actually giving someone a card like that, but "complete arsehat" springs to mind.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If I have been handed one (being a little on the portly side), the person handing it out would be looking for a new set of teeth!

This. Especially if, as reported, it was on the underground as I am rarely in the best of moods commuting anyway.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hope the f*****g morons handing out those things know what impact they are likely to have on, for example, people suffering from eating disorders. Public shaming and abuse/harassment/bullying isn't acceptable.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Seeing the headline I had hoped it might have been a prank that went a little too far but, nope, turns out that those doing it were just out to cause a little pain to people.

How very manly of them (because you just know it's a couple of younger blokes who have yet to meet/talk to a lady).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That said is being fat any different from smoking?

Both are drains on the NHS.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
More section 4a as directed against an individual.. nothing to do with weight.. on a side note they were discussing disability hate crime on the news ..a lady with facial disfigurement was told she was ugly.. she stated it was a hate crime but is it different from a non disfigured female being told she is ugly ? Also the definition of hate crime is anybody percieves it to be because of race gender disability etc there does not have to be any proof that it is because of it.. for example if some one said i was fat.. (im just big boned ) and i percived it as a hate crime it has to be recorded as one..ive used fat as a simple example

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here