Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How far can we go?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
With the win on Saturday we drew level with our smallest number of points in a 24 team season in the second tier.

The next point gained beats 2005/06's total for the whole season. Perhaps some are as sad as me and would find it interesting to see how far this squad can go in comparison with our previous seasons. How many can we beat and at what point in the season? With 15 points still to play for before the half way point, we are already over half way to our best ever total.

2005/06 38
2002/03 45
2014/15 47
1991/92 47
2004/05 51
1988/89 51
1989/90 54
2011/12 66
1990/91 70
2013/14 72
2012/13 75

This is not intended as a hubris filled countdown to promotion. It is worth noting that 1978/79, our only promotion from this level was in a 22 team division where we averaged 1.88 points per game. In a 24 team league this would have seen us finish with 86 or 87 points. Looking at recent seasons, this kind of total would most likely gain a play off place, but not a top two finish. I hope that our form continues and we are able to chalk off these seasons, but if the rest of the top five keep up their current pace, beating even our best season at this level would in no way guarantee a top two finish. Derby were top at this point last year and ended the season with 77 points, beating our 2012/13 total points, but still missing out on the play offs.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Never thought Bournemouth would get promoted last season at this point so no reason why we can't go all the way!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With the win on Saturday we drew level with our smallest number of points in a 24 team season in the second tier.

The next point gained beats 2005/06's total for the whole season. Perhaps some are as sad as me and would find it interesting to see how far this squad can go in comparison with our previous seasons. How many can we beat and at what point in the season? With 15 points still to play for before the half way point, we are already over half way to our best ever total.

2005/06 38
2002/03 45
2014/15 47
1991/92 47
2004/05 51
1988/89 51
1989/90 54
2011/12 66
1990/91 70
2013/14 72
2012/13 75

This is not intended as a hubris filled countdown to promotion. It is worth noting that 1978/79, our only promotion from this level was in a 22 team division where we averaged 1.88 points per game. In a 24 team league this would have seen us finish with 86 or 87 points. Looking at recent seasons, this kind of total would most likely gain a play off place, but not a top two finish. I hope that our form continues and we are able to chalk off these seasons, but if the rest of the top five keep up their current pace, beating even our best season at this level would in no way guarantee a top two finish. Derby were top at this point last year and ended the season with 77 points, beating our 2012/13 total points, but still missing out on the play offs.

1978-79 was before football was invented then, was it?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
1978-79 was before football was invented then, was it?

I don't really understand your point.

I'm sad enough to lookup our points totals, but not enough to spend the time it would take to calculate an equivalent points total for all the 22 team and two points for a win seasons that we spent in this division. I bothered with 78/79 because it was obviously our most successful season in the second tier.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Exactly. You didn't take into account football before it was 'invented' by Sky. Don't let it bother you - you're not the only one. Millions suffer from the same delusions, and continue to pour money into Sky's coffers.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Exactly. You didn't take into account football before it was 'invented' by Sky. Don't let it bother you - you're not the only one. Millions suffer from the same delusions, and continue to pour money into Sky's coffers.

What a strange conclusion to draw.

If you want to work out an equivalent points total for all the seasons when there were less than twenty four teams in the league feel free to add them. You would have to translate average points per game into a 46 game season to reach totals that are mathematically comparable.

If you can't be bothered, should I follow your logic and assume that this is because you love Rupert Murdoch and only started watching football because he told you to?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
There's some seriously shite teams in this division, not everyone can beat everyone.

The bottom 3

Huddersfield - highest team beat is 19th
Bolton - highest team beat is wolves in 15th
Rotherham - highest team beat is Birmingham in joint 6th to 8th

Reckon 5th place will end up with around 81-82 points. 7th with similar to last year. Top 2 will be 93ish. Reckon we will get around 82/83.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There's some seriously shite teams in this division, not everyone can beat everyone.

The bottom 3

Reckon 5th place will end up with around 81-82 points. 7th with similar to last year. Top 2 will be 93ish. Reckon we will get around 82/83.

We ended up drawing with two of those seriously shite teams...

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Not me.
I don't invest in something that hasn't got the good of the game at heart.
Onto BHA.....Only Bournemouth lost fewer than 10 games last season ( 8 ) We have 28 games to play....Of our 14 home games, I expect us to win 8, draw 4 and lose 2 ( 28 pts ) Of our 14 away games, I have been more cautious and gone for 4 wins, 6 draws and 4 defeats ( 18 pts )....Grand total.....84.
We are a difficult side to beat and will continue to rack up draws, particularly away. We may outperform 84 points, it just depends on availability.....If we have Bong, KLL, Rosenior, Baldock, Towell, Harper and a big money January signing available for the last three months, we could pass 90 points.
Exciting times.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We're already half way to beating our best points total so with us needing only 38 points from 28 games I'd be surprised and frankly disappointed if we didn't get at least 76 points. Which, apart from last year, would be enough to get us in the play offs for each of the last 15 seasons(and probably further back too, I couldn't be bothered to check that far). So, barring a disaster(which, i suppose, is always possible), we're looking good for the play offs at least.

Can we do better? Working on the assumption that you need one more point than the third placed team to gain promotion, in the last 15 seasons the third placed team has got between 75(in 2008) and 87(in 2001) points. So we potentially need anywhere from 38 to 50 more points. Or, in other words, mid table form from here on in will see us into the play offs with a (very) long shot that it'll be enough to get us automatic promotion and top end play off form from here on in will see us automatically promoted.

That's not a bad position to be in. I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at whether we'll make automatic promotion but I'm pretty confident that we'll be somewhere in the top six. And that is an amazing thing to be able to say this early in the season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The bottom 3

Would be a bit disappointing to end up with that from here but not counting chickens. I know the unbeaten run is great but I think we've deserved what we've got points-wise so far, and with more up front we'd arguably have more points. More wins, fewer draws and the odd defeat.........continuing at our current rate (2.11 per game) would put us on 96/7...........so somewhere between your stab and that I'd guess. I'm expecting narrowly missing automatic promotion personally but happy to dream. Could see us going to Boro last day of the season level on points with them in 2nd & 3rd :eek:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

2005/06 38
2002/03 45
2014/15 47
1991/92 47
2004/05 51
1988/89 51
1989/90 54
2011/12 66
1990/91 70
2013/14 72
2012/13 75

How many points did we get in 77/78, the year we were CHEATED out of promotion?

My big worry is injuries to Kayal-Stephens - no disrespect to the squad players but I think the drop off in class is more in those positions than in any other part of the team and in the vital game-controlling area too. Hope the Irish lad will be the answer.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In a 24 team league this would have seen us finish with 86 or 87 points. Looking at recent seasons, this kind of total would most likely gain a play off place, but not a top two finish.

Taking 1 point above 3rd in order to secure 2nd place, 2nd would have been achieved with 87, 86, 78, 87, 81, 80, 81 in previous seasons. What 2nd actually got isn't as relevant as what they needed to secure 2nd place which is as listed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here