Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney, Vardy or Bronze?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Sports personality of the year overlooks Rooney break Bobby Charlton's England record and Vardy scoring in every game for months and months topping the scoring charts, beating records back to Mortensen
Bronze is nominated

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sports personality of the year overlooks Rooney break Bobby Charlton's England record and Vardy scoring in every game for months and months topping the scoring charts, beating records back to Mortensen
Bronze is nominated

Rooney's not had a great season: Man U fans moan like crazy about him and if your supporters don't rate him, can't see the general public. Yes, Vardy's scored a few goals but he's not beating records back to Mortensen, he's beating records set by Horseface. And of course, we all know football only started in 1992 :facepalm:

Bronze is a strange one - thought Houghton might have got the nod though

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ok, Rooney broke Charlton's record but that's all and it was only a matter of time.

There are plenty of people breaking records but they can't all be contenders.

From the list, surely the main contenders are Froome, Hamilton or Murray. Murray might miss out if the Davis Cup team win the team event. Presumably they are up against the Womens Football team and the Ashes team. Can't think of any other teams that could win it but stand to be corrected.

Difficult to call in respect of the overseas personality. They all have merit.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
not sure, Rooney the top goal scorer is exceptional, but so is Murray winning the Davis Cup- an absolutely huge achievement and more representative of Britain. Vardy's story is inspirational but whether it's worthy of an award depends on his other contributions, especially his new academy aimed to get non leaguers inserted into professional football.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good as scoring in 11 matches in a row is, I don't think it compares to having a baby, coming back and becoming world champion again as Jessica Ennis-Hill has done. Murray and Hamilton have already won it the last two years, Froome is a worthy contender but is not as inspiration a figure as Jessica.

For me it's Ennis, Froome, Murray in that order.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Good as scoring in 11 matches in a row is, I don't think it compares to having a baby, coming back and becoming world champion again as Jessica Ennis-Hill has done. Murray and Hamilton have already won it the last two years, Froome is a worthy contender but is not as inspiration a figure as Jessica.

Yes, Yorkshire's favourite multi millionaire girl next door has certainly had a lot on her plate in the last year with her numerous sponsorship commitments to multi nationals, dodging the testers and building her own 45 bedroom Palace up in the Peak District to be able to run about a bit and chuck stuff.

Pavey and Clitheroe last year were far more compelling contenders if you are looking at inspirational ladies returning to work from maternity..........lets see if chemical Jess can succeed after No 3.

Stumpy Tim

That's a good point. For me Murray shades her though, mainly because he's won the World Cup on his own. I would say it should be Murray, Ennis, Froome. I suspect that Hamilton will win it for driving his fast car faster than one other guy & then not paying tax.

You would think the Davis Cup team will win the team award, but the gymnasts could be an outside bet. Didn't they win a medal for the first time?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
They did a poll on the Torygraph site last night. Murray was weighed in according to that and is now favourite.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Surely tyson fury has a strong chance. He is certainly a "personality" and he is a world champion. For its between him, Murray and Ennis.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, Yorkshire's favourite multi millionaire girl next door has certainly had a lot on her plate in the last year with her numerous sponsorship commitments to multi nationals, dodging the testers and building her own 45 bedroom Palace up in the Peak District to be able to run about a bit and chuck stuff.

Pavey and Clitheroe last year were far more compelling contenders if you are looking at inspirational ladies returning to work from maternity..........lets see if chemical Jess can succeed after No 3.

You started your reposte having a dig at the fact Ennis has made a few quid - who cares, apart from you? Anyway, whatever she's earned it's a drop in the ocean compared to the woeful defenders of Newcastle Utd or the toothless strikers of Aston Villa and she deserves what she gets.

I get that there are other quality female athlete out there but Ennis excels in SEVEN different disciplines, her all-round ability marks her out. This means when she practises she doesn't just spend time in the gym and then go on a long run, she has a daily regime of practising at 7 different disciplines and then going back home to look after her kid.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I wax trying to point out a footy player no'one has ever heard of was on the list & I now see a rugby league player I've never heard of us also.
It's shameful the BBC seems to have drawn up the shortlist based on stuff on its channel....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Evidence of drug-taking ? Source ?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Murray basically won the Davis Cup by himself.

In a GOOD year of sport that would make him a contender.

In a pretty poor year it makes only him and Jessica Ennis as possibilities. Murray's stunning performance concluding in late November also will keep it fresh in the mind.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

A quick remender to all, that YOU are legally responsible for what you write on line.

I'm assuming you have some inside knowledge to back up your serious allegations?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here