Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Working Law information required please..........

0 Not allowed!
    Last wednesday my boss, called me to one side and had a chat about how the site was going, he was not happy, we started properly on there 3 weeks ago today, so 11 working days ago (Mon 16th Nov) there have been good reasons why things have not gone hunky dory, staff not turning up etc etc (not that important to the situation) any way my new boss He started 5 weeks ago today, said to me last wednesday he was not happy with the way things were going etc etc, we had a chat and left it there (this was outside his car in the road) he has informed me today that last wednesdays conversation is now a verbal warning!

He at no time informed me during the convo outside his car it was a verbal warning till today, he told me today that he has informed the office it was a verbal warning, I was very surprised and said, you said nothing to me on wednesday about that? he said in a sarcastic way "Don't worry its above board and complies with ACAS standards" I said nothing..........end of that convo

Has he anything on his side in the way he has done this?

Just for clarification, I have read my Contract of Employment, which states that all disaplinerys will be dealt with in a certain way.....Meeting --- Notification --- someone with me if i want it etc etc etc...all the normal stuff (dont want to type out my contract as to much, but I'm sure you get the idea)........Thoughts?

Oh ive been there a year on 12th december!!

And up to now nothing at all in writing...though im expecting it after what he said......

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      I have never worked in HR however if a company has a set of procedures and they are not followed then that cannot be classed as a verbal warning.
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

6 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hitony View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Last wednesday my boss, called me to one side and had a chat about how the site was going, he was not happy...
      Interesting insight; I had no idea this was how Bozza manages the Moderating staff...

Seriously though, I hope nothing comes of this. I would have expected that verbal warnings have to fall within the standard protocols as you suggest, to have any weight.
      Once Dolphin, Now Seagull Dorset Seagull's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Used to get involved in this sort of thing a few years back and you certainly had to make it clear if you were giving a verbal warning. I think you can make people redundant in their first year without any real reason so not sure how you would stand for the next couple f weeks
      Pretentious,moi?
      Staring at the rude boys happypig's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hitony View Post
      "Don't worry its above board and complies with ACAS standards"
      No it doesn't.

see https://www.gov.uk/taking-disciplinary-action

0 Not allowed!
      But just so you know, and vast majority of people don't when trying to empathise with those who have been morally badly treated, is that a company can get rid of you if they want to with no good reason at all eg say they didn't like your tie. It's not criminal justice is so far as they have to prove beyond reasonable doubt. They don't. Just get rid of you and actually there's bugger all you can do. Where it becomes a problem for the employer is that getting rid of someone without good reason or due process can potentially be expensive. I say potentially deliberately because you the individual have to risk losing a tribunal and at least put up the costs of taking to. Many can't or don't, not just because of that but because of the stress.

I know this doesn't answer your question specifically but it's useful context. So always view as the company doesn't need good reason or to follow its own process. But then they don't need to is the bottom line, expensive gamble as they may be. Ow and also bear in mind that HR are there to protect the employer. Not the employee. They are most certainly not your friend or even close to eg impartial. Again, most people don't realise this until such time as too late. Many many people I know, decent quality workers like you, have sadly learnt these lessons through bitter first hand experience.
      “Everything about this looks wrong. The run-up is too long, too straight, and you know it’s going over the bar ... it goes over the bar, and Brighton have stolen a trip to Wembley! That is an absolute burglary! And that is the FA Cup!”

0 Not allowed!
      I don't believe you can be given a disciplinary sanction without being advised in advance that this was a possible outcome of a formal meeting.

Having said that, I think you can be given an informal bollocking, but it can't count towards a cumulative assembly of offences that will lead to a more serious sanction.
      не съгласявам се!

What if there were no hypothetical questions?
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bracknell View Post
      I don't believe you can be given a disciplinary sanction without being advised in advance that this was a possible outcome of a formal meeting.

Having said that, I think you can be given an informal bollocking, but it can't count towards a cumulative assembly of offences that will lead to a more serious sanction.
      I love that. I wish it was written into formal Contracts of Employment.

"You [the Employee] cannot be given a disciplinary sanction without being advised in advance that this was a possible outcome of a formal meeting. However you can be given an informal bollocking."

My work place runs on the principle of "the informal bollocking" or TIB as I shall start calling it as of tomorrow.

0 Not allowed!
      [QUOTE=Bry Nylon;7172144]Interesting insight; I had no idea this was how Bozza manages the Moderating staff...

Many think it's such an easy job, as you can see, it is not! he is such a hard taskmaster!

Thanks for the nice words, and I agree I can't see it standing, my probation was over nearly 2 months ago, I was not informed by HR but my contract said "UP to 10 months" its now very nearly 12 months and nothing said to say its not over.

My personal opinion is this............this guy is about 10 years younger than me (he is around 50+....i'm 60 for those that don't know) he comes from and still lives, west of
      Ammanford (very much a west wales man and speaks welsh) again for those that don't know me, I have a very (what would be termed up here and even after 31 years of living in Wales) a VERY cockney accent..........quite simply, I don't think he likes me because I'm English, I met him exactly a week after he started, We shook hands and he said you must be Tony (surname) I replied, yes, pleased to meet you, straight away he said.........what part of London are you from..........I said Brighton........he ignored me......not the best start........i know he wil never admit to racism, but I do think he will persevere with the "I'm not good enough to do the job theme"

3 Not allowed!
      Arrange a meeting with your boss's boss for 13th December and refuse to discuss anything with your boss prior to the meeting. Leave him in no doubt that you are not going to let him control the situation.