Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Smith

albionite

May 20, 2009
Gone to Brentford, good management appointment for them a little surprised he has left Walsall thought he wanted to take them up.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not sure on that from his point of view.

Anything outside the top8 wont be seen as success so his CV wont improve.

When is their new stadium ready ? Only reason I could make sense of the move other than London / money

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A brave appointment by the Brentford board.

No experience above League One level, and hadn't really impressed at Walsall until this term.

Be interesting to see how he does.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A brave appointment by the Brentford board.

No experience above League One level, and hadn't really impressed at Walsall until this term.

Be interesting to see how he does.

I think he's been impressing at Walsall for a few years actually to be fair, they had a good run last season but they fell away because they picked up a couple of injuries. I think he's been highly rated pretty much from the start, but he strikes me as being the kind of guy who has decided to strike while the fire is hot - he'll be getting a much nicer salary now, probably a few additional years on the contract too so it's a business decision rather than a football one I would suggest. I'm not criticising him for it, and I'm not suggesting Brentford haven't hired a good manager but it makes me appreciate having someone like Chris Hughton. Even if he were to be linked with a Premier League lower end job, I don't think he'd go because he's been around enough to not feel like the first opportunity is necessarily the right one. Would Smith have been better off staying at Walsall, possibly taking a very unfancied club up having transformed them from relegation scrappers?

Only time will tell but to me, leaving Walsall for Brentford suggests a lack of faith in Walsall's ability to get promoted and a concern that offers like this might not be forthcoming if he had ultimately failed to complete the job there.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I reckon he's had a soft spot for us since his Hereford days.
He played for Leyton Orient in the late 90s too, so most people on here who were following the Albion then should not have a soft spot for anyone Orient-related.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
He played for Leyton Orient in the late 90s too, so most people on here who were following the Albion then should not have a soft spot for anyone Orient-related.

Was it him who ran the length of the pitch giving it large to us after scoring at Brisbane rd?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Was it him who ran the length of the pitch giving it large to us after scoring at Brisbane rd?
Don't remember specifically, but it wouldn't surprise me. What with Barry Hearn's comments about us, and Scott McGleish, I don't have a lot of time for that tinpot Essex outfit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here