Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yeovil

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Just noticed they are bottom of League 2.

Small club but considering were in the championship season before last that is quite a fall.

What happened to them ? Did they just flog off all their half decent players ?

Shame , Thought they were a good addition to the championship . Fans were decent too.

Hope they sort it out

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
There was an article on Sky Sports News on Saturday morning saying that a couple of years ago Leicester were struggling to a 0-0 draw against Yeovil, fast forward 2 years and Leicester are top of the prem and Yeovil are bottom of League 2.

BBC were asking much the same question: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34693161

I saw the play-off Final at Wembley in 2013 (was it?) when they beat Brentford 2-1. Nearly all the town was there, they packed out one end of Wembley.

Unfortunately none of them had the financial clout to get good enough players to keep them for more than one season in the Championship, they've been in free-fall ever since. This is not new, I can remember Northampton had one season in the old Div.1 back in the early 1960's, in about 3 seasons they were back in Div 4!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sacking Gary Johnson and replacing him with Terry Skiverton started the rot perhaps they should have pushed the boat out to get Nathan Jones. Paul Sturrock is a creditable manager so it is probably down to the wages they pay that they cannot sign any better players. Selling Luke Ayling didnt help they should have replaced him with Adam El Abd as part ex. Perhaps they need to look at Sturrock and replace him with Holloway who knows the players etc to bring in to keep them in the FL.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Sacking Gary Johnson and replacing him with Terry Skiverton started the rot perhaps they should have pushed the boat out to get Nathan Jones. Paul Sturrock is a creditable manager so it is probably down to the wages they pay that they cannot sign any better players. Selling Luke Ayling didnt help they should have replaced him with Adam El Abd as part ex. Perhaps they need to look at Sturrock and replace him with Holloway who knows the players etc to bring in to keep them in the FL.

You should be a manager! you seem to know your onions!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Without doubt the worst away trip on the calendar, so I wasn't too sorry to see them relegated from the Championship. Shocking collapse since then though, they just haven't been able to arrest that downward spiral. Sturrocks got his work cut out there.

SAC

May 21, 2014
It's what happens when you don't have a rich benefactor able to bank-roll the club. They get decent attendances considering but when the total population of Yeovil is only around 40,000 you are always going to be an uphill struggle.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
There was an article on Sky Sports News on Saturday morning saying that a couple of years ago Leicester were struggling to a 0-0 draw against Yeovil, fast forward 2 years and Leicester are top of the prem and Yeovil are bottom of League 2.

BBC were asking much the same question: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34693161

Cheers for that.

Reading that really lets you know how special and hard to compete the championship is.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
My best mate is a Yeovil fan and we have talked in depth about the problems there and he basically believes it to be a lack of money and the hangover from the championship where their increased costs were not matched by adequate increase in revenue. Last season he feared as they let go of all their talent as the wages were an issue and were left scrapping around for bargain basement third tier players, this season the same but a league lower. He really fears for their future and is fully expecting them to drop out of the league this season. From the matches he's been to, he says they are woeful. Poor times for him.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's what happens when you don't have a rich benefactor able to bank-roll the club. They get decent attendances considering but when the total population of Yeovil is only around 40,000 you are always going to be an uphill struggle.

I think this post says it all really. I've liked Yeovil ever since their non league days, but Yeovil are a small town club, with small town money to spend, and unless a rich benefactor rolls into town, that will always be the case.

Their meteoric rise into the Championship a couple of seasons ago amazed everyone I think, and they just weren't set up to succeed at their new level, so instant relegation isn't surprising really.

I sincerely wish them all the best in what must surely be a fight for Football League survival this season.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Without doubt the worst away trip on the calendar, so I wasn't too sorry to see them relegated from the Championship. Shocking collapse since then though, they just haven't been able to arrest that downward spiral. Sturrocks got his work cut out there.
On the flip side they are my closest league club so will be sad if they drop out as I always hope we draw them away in the cup

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
On the flip side they are my closest league club so will be sad if they drop out as I always hope we draw them away in the cup

I've only been once. Never, ever again. A crowd of less than 6k, and it STILL took over an hour to get out of that poxy carpark. Sorry, field.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Had they not been promoted to the Championship they could still be tootling along quite comfortably in League One.
The added costs destroyed them and their subsequent demise is the outcome. Sadly worse beckons.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I've only been once. Never, ever again. A crowd of less than 6k, and it STILL took over an hour to get out of that poxy carpark. Sorry, field.

I've been twice. Once by car, once by train. Either is a nightmare. Once you get past Hampshire, the roads are like something out of the 19th Century. And the car park is, as you say, akin to trying to get out of Bluewater on Christmas Eve.

The train is even worse. Up to London, across country which takes a ridiculously long time, then ending up at Yeovil Junction, which isn't even in Yeovil. Then you have to get a bus or taxi into the town, with it's single (Wetherspoons) pub, followed by another to the ground which is up there with the worst of out of town locations. It makes the Amex look like a bustling city centre haven of activity, such is its spot in the middle of a housing estate/ collection of industrial units. On the return, once you finally make it back to Yeovil Junction, there is one train PER HOUR back to London, and the first one to leave is (inevitably) fractionally too early for any away fans to make, unless you leave Huish Park by teleportation.

Even for relative locals, it's a crappy trip. I believe it took Bozza & Nail-Z Gull over two & a half hours to get there by train last time, and they travelled from the Bristol area, i.e. in the same bloody COUNTY as Yeovil.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've been twice. Once by car, once by train. Either is a nightmare. Once you get past Hampshire, the roads are like something out of the 19th Century. And the car park is, as you say, akin to trying to get out of Bluewater on Christmas Eve.

The train is even worse. Up to London, across country which takes a ridiculously long time, then ending up at Yeovil Junction, which isn't even in Yeovil. Then you have to get a bus or taxi into the town, with it's single (Wetherspoons) pub, followed by another to the ground which is up there with the worst of out of town locations. It makes the Amex look like a bustling city centre haven of activity, such is its spot in the middle of a housing estate/ collection of industrial units. On the return, once you finally make it back to Yeovil Junction, there is one train PER HOUR back to London, and the first one to leave is (inevitably) fractionally too early for any away fans to make, unless you leave Huish Park by teleportation.

Even for relative locals, it's a crappy trip. I believe it took Bozza & Nail-Z Gull over two & a half hours to get there by train last time, and they travelled from the Bristol area, i.e. in the same bloody COUNTY as Yeovil.

Nicely summed up.

I've been to Tibetan monasteries that were more easily accessible than Huish Park.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here