Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Traffic wardens' strike could mean free parking this weekend

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think people of all political persuasions can agree that this is a good thing.

I hope the Seafront Business Association and others who have decided to make a big publicity push about this "possible" strike, to encourage more people to come to Brighton on the off-chance that there will be a parking free-for all, have weighed up the risks that might arise if (as often happens) the strike is called off at the last minute.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I hope the strike goes ahead, be interesting to see what life would be like without them. Will it be gridlock or will there be no noticeable difference, although the loss in revenue will cause problems.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I hope the strike goes ahead, be interesting to see what life would be like without them. Will it be gridlock or will there be no noticeable difference, although the loss in revenue will cause problems.

Loss in revenue for the council, but will there be a rise in revenue for the retailers?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Considering that every parking space in the city is full at 12:00 on a saturday even when you have to pay through the nose for it, I can't see it making that much of a difference to retailers.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

I'd guess there would be a risk of gridlock.

North Laine probably wouldn't be affected that much - residents in their parking permit spaces may well tend to stick around, so street parking would be limited anyway. Aside from the seafront, it's the areas which would be more affected in terms of loss of revenue. The car parks won't be affected at all.

However, whether people realise before they set off is another matter.

Traders in North Laine are not wholly approving of free parking in the area. Free parking tends to mean a lower level of turnover of car parking spaces, meaning a lower level of turnover of customers.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Loss in revenue for the council, but will there be a rise in revenue for the retailers?

Possibly not. I saw some analysis once somewhere that concluded free parking in town centres was actually bad for business revenues. It was along the lines of, if people can park for free, they will spend longer in town, which results in fewer parking spaces being available, thus reducing the actual footfall in retail outlets. Or something like that anyway.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Is it their Christmas gift to shoppers..I say thankyou and merry Christmas to you..Perhaps a strike till New year would be better. However it does seem a cushy little no at £7.82 hour.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is it their Christmas gift to shoppers..I say thankyou and merry Christmas to you..Perhaps a strike till New year would be better. However it does seem a cushy little no at £7.82 hour.

A bit like being a referee - you get a workout as you do your job, most people you come into contact with hate you, and you have an over-inflated sense of self worth.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Possibly not. I saw some analysis once somewhere that concluded free parking in town centres was actually bad for business revenues. It was along the lines of, if people can park for free, they will spend longer in town, which results in fewer parking spaces being available, thus reducing the actual footfall in retail outlets. Or something like that anyway.

In 2012, Tewkesbury had no parking wardens (I think one had left and one was suspended) and, for a while, there were no parking restrictions. Retailers complained bitterly as business was affected (cars were blocking loading bays so retailers couldn't load stock and double parking so people couldn't get through) and there was much relief when the wardens came back

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
200_s.gif

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I hope the Seafront Business Association and others who have decided to make a big publicity push about this "possible" strike, to encourage more people to come to Brighton on the off-chance that there will be a parking free-for all, have weighed up the risks that might arise if (as often happens) the strike is called off at the last minute.

What is it you actually have against the Seafront Business Association as your post seem to what to bring them misery?
Your post seen to want to spit venom at them ! very unlike you.
Do you really wish them bad will ???

What is it you actually have against the Seafront Business Association as your post seem to what to bring them misery?
Your post seen to want to spit venom at them ! very unlike you.
Do you really wish them bad will ???

I've no gripes whatsoever with the Seafront Business Association. I just think it's a bit risky to assume that a strike will go ahead. Most threats of strike action in local government fizzle out before anything happens. How would you feel if you'd acted on a misleading promise that parking would be free, only to discover on the day that it isn't and that there's no chance of you actually finding a parking place because the traders had exaggerated the availability of the parking that you and hundreds of other drivers were hoping to find?

I personally take the view that you have to be crackers to drive a car into central Brighton in the run-up to Christmas, when there is a perfectly good public transport service that will get you to and from the shops without queuing for a parking space for far longer than makes sense.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I personally take the view that you have to be crackers to drive a car into central Brighton in the run-up to Christmas, when there is a perfectly good public transport service.

I'd extend to saying you must be crackers whatever time of year it is.

As an aside Brighton seems the absolute perfect city for trams. Why can't we have some?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I've no gripes whatsoever with the Seafront Business Association. I just think it's a bit risky to assume that a strike will go ahead. Most threats of strike action in local government fizzle out before anything happens. How would you feel if you'd acted on a misleading promise that parking would be free, only to discover on the day that it isn't and that there's no chance of you actually finding a parking place because the traders had exaggerated the availability of the parking that you and hundreds of other drivers were hoping to find?

I personally take the view that you have to be crackers to drive a car into central Brighton in the run-up to Christmas, when there is a perfectly good public transport service that will get you to and from the shops without queuing for a parking space for far longer than makes sense.

See you point, but not wanting to dig up old ground, there is not a "perfectly good public transport service" for everyone in Brighton its a very rose tinted view by the council to think there is.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

As an aside Brighton seems the absolute perfect city for trams. Why can't we have some?

What area are you thinking? just town centre, Hove Lawns to Marina, Portslade to Saltdean?

Why be tied down with rails? How about going for trolley buses instead?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

H'mmm. Yesterday I drove into Brighton three times, taking grandchildren from their home to school (on foot), picking them up at 3.15 and, at 6pm, driving them the seven miles from our home to theirs. That was not an unusual pattern. In the evening I had a meeting in Church Street. I parked near the police station and, when the meeting finished just before midnight, got home in 20 minutes.

What part of my transport selection was crackers and what part of the public transport alternative would you describe as perfectly good?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here