Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Worth the admission price alone

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
1. Beram Kayal, first half, in the South West corner. Defender looked to have the route to goal covered but not so. Kayal played it past him, collecting it on the other side. Nonchalant.

2. Jamie Murphy, first half, build up to our first goal. Faced with two Birmingham players, he went through them both as if they weren't there. Just what did he do with the ball to achieve that? Magical.

3. Bruno, second half, defensive right back position. Taking possession of the ball, there was the tiniest of gaps between a Birmingham player and the touchline in which a ball could be played. The bearded maestro made the perfect pass to release Solly March on another attack. Most players attempting that would either put the ball out or seen it intercepted. Sublime.

4. David Stockdale, first half (I think), clearing the ball. Surveying the scene, Albion's quarterback didn't have many obvious options to pick out a team mate. No problem at all. He played a volley that sent the ball darting at a low trajectory right onto the chest of Bruno (?) on the halfway line and the Albion were on the move again. Pingtastic.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oooooh - I thought Kayal megged him..! Either way it was truely CLASS!

Second point - it's on the highlights and I still don't know! He went through the middle of them - unreal! And kept the ball on a bit of string. Jamie Murphy is class....!

And yes I recal the other 2 points very well. Never seen a keeper with better distribution - I don't care if the odd one goes out of play as it's an extremely hard thing to do. Bruno had about 20 yards of space to run into after that ball. Quarterback is a great description of him...!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Was it? In my defence, I had a lot of cider yesterday and no food.

Regardless it was superb.

I'm really not sure mate - they showed it once on the big screen and everyone cheered which rarely happens for a replay!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Murphy had two defenders converging, and he simply seems to have chipped the ball over their feet and ran between them. Quite stunning. Some of our football yesterday was on another level - flicks, layoffs, short crisp passes and long balls where needed (including as above - rarely see other keepers hitting the ball so hard and low like Stocko does, and almost always right to his target, which is why he can be forgiven the odd one that sails into touch. He's always looking to set something up)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Murphy had two defenders converging, and he simply seems to have chipped the ball over their feet and ran between them. Quite stunning. Some of our football yesterday was on another level - flicks, layoffs, short crisp passes and long balls where needed (including as above - rarely see other keepers hitting the ball so hard and low like Stocko does, and almost always right to his target, which is why he can be forgiven the odd one that sails into touch. He's always looking to set something up)
The lads are so confident at the moment, they are simply playing without fear. It's great to watch and long may it continue!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Was it? In my defence, I had a lot of cider yesterday and no food.

Regardless it was superb.

You were right first time. Played it round the defender inside and strolled past on the goal line to collect on the other side. Ronaldinho-esque!

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Don't forget Stockdale's save of the match. I thought the ball was flying in the bottom corner before Stockdale managed to somehow not only save the shot but actually hold it with 2 players following up for a simple tap in. Sublime.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
3. Bruno, second half, defensive right back position. Taking possession of the ball, there was the tiniest of gaps between a Birmingham player and the touchline in which a ball could be played. The bearded maestro made the perfect pass to release Solly March on another attack. Most players attempting that would either put the ball out or seen it intercepted. Sublime.
Where I'm sat in the family stand, those passes looked like they were coming straight at me, then they curled round the defenders.
Seeing Wilson think (and you could see him think) 'hang on there's going to be a spectacular pass coming' was great.
But still not worth the entrance fee.

As said last night, that accolade goes to Bruno, Kayal, March (and I'm sure one other) playing one touch pass and volleys around half a dozen Brum players setting Tomer up at the edge of the box.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Is this the best Albion team ever? How do we compare to the team of '79?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We were entertaining and FLAIRTASTIC all over the pitch all day. If you can't enjoy that you're either dead from the neck up or watching the wrong sport.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Our passing game yesterday was equal to the best we saw under Poyet, and arguably better, as it was faster and more attack-minded. Can't remember seeing a Brighton side performing so positively and skilfully, even in those awful first half conditions playing into the wind and rain.

4-1 would have been a fair result, though Birmingham were no mugs.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Where I'm sat in the family stand, those passes looked like they were coming straight at me, then they curled round the defenders.

First time he did that there were ironic cheers from the away end as it looked to everyone that Bruno had misjudged the pass very badly. He obviously enjoyed the moment as he repeated the trick about five minutes later.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Don't forget Stockdale's save of the match. I thought the ball was flying in the bottom corner before Stockdale managed to somehow not only save the shot but actually hold it with 2 players following up for a simple tap in. Sublime.

I'm not forgetting that at all. A wonderful save, as you say, and with opposing forwards bearing down upon him, he did incredibly well to hold onto the ball. Like many in the WSU I stood and applauded that save.

Measuring pure technical footballing ability though, some of his ping passes are outstanding.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

This

The great man was directly in front of us when he played this pass. Witchcraft.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

We instinctively both said 'that's in' when the shot was hit from our viewing angle (towards NW corner) and also stood up to applaud. Brilliant.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is this the best Albion team ever? How do we compare to the team of '79?
You only have to look at the amount of 'loyal fan' posters who strangely have nothing (negative) to say and are not posting, to know how good this TEAM is.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The lads are so confident at the moment, they are simply playing without fear. It's great to watch and long may it continue!

And how big a part does the unbeaten thing play in this confidence... As I said in a thread the other day I really think it is important and glad it's still there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here