Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What are our left back options now?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Calderon is about it. If we lose him then presumably Goldson. Don't think Chicksen will get anywhere near the side.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If Calde gets injured/suspended then Bruno at left back with Goldson at rightback?

scooter1

How soon is now?
When I've seen Chicksen play he's done ok, however I'm not sure he's capable at the top end of the Campionship. So that basically leaves us with Calderon, or possibly switching to 3-5-2 which may mean too much of a change in style. Calde for me, with the onus on getting a capable left back(and paying a premium due to our situation) on Jan 2nd

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
van La Parra is a left footed winger, maybe if he trains there all week he could slot in there next week.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I'd rather see us go 3 at the back. Calde, as much as I love him, isn't a Champs quality right back let alone on his wrong side.

Any free agent left backs kicking about? No not Cashley Cole...

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Jesse Starkey (whom I think has fantastic potential) plays LB for the U21's. See him more as a midfielder in future.

So...don't look down for the answers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not a bad shout. Elliott Bennett had been doing something similar for Bristol City.

He has played right back but then look how bad Bristol City are. I think we have 1option other than Calderon who did ok today as I have been saying for ages Ashley Cole. Just a thought is Dan Harding contracted to Eastleigh or could he sign for us as an out of contract player. Not the best but better and more experienced than Chicksen. Not sure how far down the chain loans go, could always register Nathan Jones:)

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
He has played right back but then look how bad Bristol City are.
Incorrect - he has played as a wing back. How can a scout not know the difference between a full back and a wing back?

Edit - just checked. Still playing wing back.

Bristol City (3-5-2): Fielding; Ayling, Flint, Baker (Moore 46); Bennett, Smith, Pack, Freeman, Williams; Agard (Wilbraham 57), Kodjia (Cox 67).

Referee: Tim Robinson (West Sussex)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He played some games for us as an orthodox right back at Withdean so has the basic idea of his defensive duties which enable him to play as a wing back. Van La Parre would be completely new to it, which he may be able to do or he may not but now is not the time to take a chance if there are other options. Does the Indian Super League come under the contracted players definition. John Arne Risse is playing in it and possibly could fill a month. There are not many out of contract players available.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
John Arne Risse is playing in it and possibly could fill a month.

charlie-brown2.jpg

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Come on know all, who is available and out of contract to fill in for 6 weeks, as we have nobody at the club short of playing a player out of position
I've no idea but I'm not going to start throwing out names of people I've heard of once. We have Calderon, Bruno, Chicksen and Under 21 players. Goldson has played full back. We could change our system. The club and management decided not to sign cover at left back so they obviously have confidence in the squad. We don't know the extent of Rosenior's injury.

Still, I'll play your game. Is Kenny Sansom still playing?

Dan Harding! :laugh:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Had you not noticed CH comments when the loan window closed we are still chasing a left back so they obviously have somebody in mind, either now short term or to sign in January. If I was CH I would be on the phone tonight to Ashley Coles agent.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Chicksen isn't that bad a player - he's certainly got pace. Ok, he may be more suited to League 1, but I wouldn't worry about with him slotting in at left back for a handful of games with the rest of the team clicking so amazingly well.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Chicksen isn't that bad a player - he's certainly got pace. Ok, he may be more suited to League 1, but I wouldn't worry about with him slotting in at left back for a handful of games with the rest of the team clicking so amazingly well.

This.
Why is everyone so against Chicksen playing left back? He's not that bad, he's nothing on Liam or Gaetan but he'll be fine for a few weeks. We are lucky to have such strength in depth.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here