Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Voice of Soccer - 1946 book

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Alec was railing against the transfer system and this is an interesting snippet.

An outstanding example of the transfer market in players was enacted on our very doorstep at Brighton. We were playing Swansea on a certain Wednesday afternoon, who announced that the had placed Norman Lockhart, their 23-year-old Irish international left winger, on the transfer list. His price was £10,000, a seemingly huge amount for the Third Division standard. Now whether it was that our match was a lone one on the fixture list that day, or the anticipated competition for this player appealed, I cannot say. It may have been neither, and an outing to Brighton on a glorious sunny day may have afforded the sports writers the attraction of a breather by the sea. In any event, practically all of the London sporting Press descended upon us. Added to which, I may say without giving away any state secrets, many prominent Clubs' Directors and Managers also took a particular interest in the game.

Whether it be a record, I'm not sure, but I had yet to learn of a Manager travelling by 'plane in England to watch a player - Mr Joe Smith, the Blackpool manager, is reputed to have done so for this match. Others known to me were representatives from Luton, Chelsea, Bournemouth, and in addition, several were there with whom I had not previously become acquainted.

My colleagues and I had the unique experience of being overwhelmed to the extent of feeling strangers in our own domain! The scene outside our offices after the match was one which only happens perhaps once in a life-time to we smaller fry, and was aptly described as reminiscent of an Irish hiring Fair. The chief actors in this remarkable spectacle were the Swansea Manager, who was then Mr Haydn Green, taking the role of auctioneer, with the chief bidders Messrs. Joe Smith of Blackpool and "Dally" Duncan of Luton.

Looks like we lost 1-0 on Wednesday 1st October 1947.

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Back to Soccer Calling and looks like Alec would have been in favour of VAR. Asked about his views of the rules :

Secondly, I would like to strengthen the Rule as to penalty kicks, so that referees, before making this vital decision, would have to consult the linesman in play. A clearer definition should be given between intentional and accidental handling or fouling in the penalty area. Difficult, no doubt, but some recent decisions give too much latitude to the controlling official. Amendment would avoid the undignified spectacle of the referee being mauled by the crowd of players vainly protesting against his decision

It's like he knew the Shyster was in the future.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Looks like our modern press coverage complaints are hardly original.

When the Arsenal came down to play us at Brighton during the 1944-45 season (they had a weakened team but we won 3-0), we had the pleasure of entertaining George Allison, Mr George Hicks, MP of the Ministry of Supply, Mr McGowran ("Twelfth Man" Evening News) and my old friends MacArthur and White Wilson. After our win, Mr Allison said, jokingly, to Mr Hicks, "What would you do now, if you were Manager of the Arsenal?" Mr Hicks, with a twinkle in his eye, replied, "Well, George, I think I would sign on the Brighton Team!" The joke was thoroughly enjoyed, especially by we Brighton Directors!

Looking through the Sunday papers on the morrow, anticipating a mite of praise for Brighton's win, I found reference to the game to be conspicuous by its absence. There was only one little item amongst the three papers I regularly read, saying that "Arsenal with a weakened team lost at Brighton. They had loaned the conquerors one of their young players." Well, since Hodges (the player in question) had been with us the whole of this season and part of the last, he was almost a war-time regular!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
For the 2 or 3 people that enjoyed these, I have bounced this ready for receiving the final book in the series some time next week. For some reason, The Ace of Games is the rarest and has been around the £40-50 mark every time I checked. But managed to get a relatively cheap one yesterday so I will post any relevant sections when I get it.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Good work and a goos read. The club have in the shop a good read about the Albion before and during World War 1 that also goes into interesting details about the formation of the club, why we play in blue & white and the like.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The language in these scripts is so much deeper and richer. You feel part of the scene.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Right - I have the final, and seemingly thinnest book of the set. This is from 1944. There is a section with a few pages on several southern clubs and obviously Alec gives a few more pages to us. A lot of it is just listing players and league positions but a there are a few interesting sections.

Brighton - "The Albion"

Up to the year 1898, all the football that was seen of any importance at all, was at Preston Park, where there were some excellent amateur games. An attempt to provide "big" football was made by the formation of Brighton United F.C., and in their initial campaign (1898-99) they did reasonably well in the old Southern League.

About this time, Dundee United crashed, and I understand that Mr W.E.Everest, well known in Sussex soccer circles, made the journey to Dundee, accompanied by Mr. John Jackson, Manager of the Brighton Club at that time, and bought half a dozen of the United's players. This may account for the Brighton Club at one time possessing no fewer than six internationals. I now learn for the first time that Robinson, Southampton's international goalkeeper, was originally with Brighton.

The united played their games on the Sussex County cricket ground at Hove, but from lack of accommodation in the season 1899-1900, which was a particularly wet one, the crowd were unable to face the elements, so that saw the end of the United. However, the enthusiasts were not to be beaten and Mr. Jackson, who had managed the United, formed the Brighton & Hove Rangers in the season 1900-01, when they played a series of friendlies. In the next season, they figured in the Second Division of the Southern League, finishing third with 22 points from 16 games. It was then that the name of the Club was changed to "Brighton & Hove Albion," beginning its career with a wage bill of £10 per week.

The Albion played their first match, not on the Goldstone Ground, Hove, which has been the opinion of many, but at a farm close to Tongdean Lane, Dyke Road, Brighton. The date was Saturday, 7th September, 1901, and the Albion first team was - Tribe; Coles, Caldwell, Farrell, McAvoy, Sutherland, Blunden, Hill, Sear, Thain and King. The following season the Club finished second in the table, and then emerged into the First Division of the Southern League.

Another interesting point, and one of which Brightonians may justly be proud, is that the Albion's first Chairman was Sir George Broadbridge, Bart. K.C.V.O., afterwards Lord Mayor of London, and furthermore, the Coronation Lord Mayor.

A Mr. J.J. Clark was the owner of the Goldstone Ground, and I believe this gentleman used to have a farthing levy on the "gate" in lieu of rent. This arrangement, however, did not prove satisfactory for very long, as the Club had to vacate the ground on the last day of the season so that during the summer, haymaking could take place. When the club started the following season they found there was so much stubble amongst the grass that they eventually rented the ground at £50 per annum.

His namesake, Mr. Noah Clark, to whom I have referred elsewhere, was very well known in the old Brighton Fish Market, being connected with that trade, and I am told of the feasts of oysters with plenty of brown bread and butter he used to shower on the players when they were in special training for a Cup-tie. He had a humorous name for alcoholic liquor, which he referred to as "lunatic broth"!

I admired an old print of Brighton dating back to 1837 which still hangs in our Board Room at the Goldstone ground, and our Manager told me there was a little human story attached to it. he received a visit from a youth who was extremely anxious to secure an English Cup Final ticket, and had to tell this lad that he did not think there was any possible chance of getting one. However, the day before the match, two 2s. tickets were returned to the Club and Mr. Webb got in touch with the youngster, pointing out that this would only give him a standing position to view the match; but with the enthusiasm of youth, the lad replied that it did not matter in the slightest, and the following week showed his appreciation by presenting the Club with this old print.

Brighton and Hove Albion have always been a good team to watch, and have never lost the knack of commanding respect from any opposing side. I know in the old days we were always in doubt at Portsmouth as to what Brighton would produce "out of the bag," and felt we had beaten one of our most dangerous opponents when we succeeded in winning.

The Albion have always maintained their reputation for good football, and have always played the game. They have never been associated with the rougher or disreputable side of the game, and I may say in all sincerity that with the present Board and Management they are never likely to lose that honourable status.

I'll post some more over the next day or two - it takes a while to type! Especially interesting is a short chapter where Alec gives his idea of the perfect new football stadium - as envisaged in 1944. I'll give you a clue - he isn't that far off the Amex, even down to the seating.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Now this I like, bearing in mind it is from 1944. This is Alec's plan for an ideal Soccer Ground. No waterslide or monorail but a lot of spookily prescient ideas.

MY IDEAL SOCCER GROUND

If I were ever allowed to plan a football Ground, and had plenty of cash with which to do so, I would first give attention to providing good roadways to the main gates. So many Grounds lay off the main roads, and are generally approached by narrow lanes which, on wet days, become almost ankle deep in mud. These roadways would be constructed with the same good hardcore and then cemented, and you would by the first expenditure have a permanently good and clean entrance.

I would then provide as many means of turnstile entrances as possible, with spacious forecourt covered approaches, and large gates at many convenient places, with good car parking nearby to admit of easy and quick exits after the match. Cycle Parks, too, with bicycle stands, would be an amenity for the use of cyclists.

The whole of the spectators' portion of the ground would be under cover, with wind protectors on either side. Every Stand to be provided with upholstered tip-up seats, and the front of each Stand would have wooden or light metal roll shuttering, which would be pulled down and completely enclose the stand when not in use, thus the seats and furnishings would be entirely protected from the elements. Good gangways would be given in every Stand, and a special point too, would be made of providing first-class sanitary conveniences in each Stand, for both sexes.

A Press Box would be available in the most central position in a Stand, giving a good viewpoint of the playing pitch from every angle. In addition to this would be special sound-proof accommodation for broadcasting and television.

Spacious licensed refreshment bars and grill room would be built under the Stands, with the provision of tables so that meals could be had by early visitors.

Amplifier transmission all over the Ground by means of a series of loud-speakers, for music and announcements.

The players' quarters to be comfortable and cheerful, with a locker for every player, and plenty of room for changing, baths with showers, massage and exercise rooms.

The provision of a good boot repair shop with all facilities for making emergency repairs to football boots or replacing studs during the interval of any match, and the regular overhaul of all the players' boots.

A Directors' reception room with all provision for snacks, tea and the like, in addition to a Board Room, which would then only be used for private and confidential matters. The accommodation would be under the Main or Grand Stand, but the other Stands would also be utilized for additional amenities. The basement of one Stand would be divided off with a Lecture Room, and workshops for practical instruction to any players who wish to learn various arts and crafts to their own selection, in preparation for the time when their playing days are over. I would also like a quiet apartment set aside for a players' reading and writing room, with a good library on the various technical subjects they may be studying, on sport and various other topics which would be instructive and entertaining, with, of course, the usual daily papers and a few weekly periodicals.

Under another Stand would be a Social Club, and in addition would be installed a cinema for instructional purposes. A film of the previous week's match would be shown in slow motion, thus giving a means of discovering and correcting the errors in play or tactics, upon which the Manager and Trainer should lecture the team.

Any ground to spare that is not of any useful purpose for Stands, could be utilized for the erection of a house to accommodate the groundsman or trainer, and specifically design this to give separate living quarters also for, say, two or three players, as you would always have some single fellows who may not have the best type of apartment and surroundings.

The referee and linesmen would also have good quarters, with bath and the usual offices attached. A Press room where the scribes could have their conversations or discussions, with own private telephone installed.

The crucial consideration would be in laying-out the playing pitch, with adequate drainage to prevent waterlogging, and also the provision of pipe heating, well under the surface, to achieve a quick thaw in the case of a severe frost, snow or icing. Great care would be taken to obtain the services of an expert groundsman, who would undertake all treatment necessary to keep the turf in as perfect a condition as possible.

The fencing around the playing pitch would be a sufficient distance from the touchline, to reduce the risk of players colliding therewith. I have seen several accidents to players on certain grounds, caused by the close proximity of the fencing. The height of this fencing would also be considered, to prevent players overbalancing and falling amongst spectators.

Transport generally is another problem which requires attention, inasmuch as it is a matter of difficulty to obtain reasonable facilities to most Grounds. It is hoped that if a boom in Association football is realised after the war, the road anf railway Companies will co-operate with the Clubs.

Of course, vigorous publicity would support the dream Ground which I hope to see not as an exception, but regular features for all future soccer Grounds. But all this means Capital, and unless this is forthcoming from the Shareholders and Directors, or alternatively other means of support suggested elsewhere, viz., alleviation of the present heavy taxation and some revenue from football Pools, I cannot see any immediate prospect of those vital improvements materialising.

Prices of admission to Ground and Stand, although subject to high Entertainment Tax, are still excessive for an hour and a half's amusement if compared with competitors. Unless big strides are made by way of improvements, with covered Stands at popular prices, the man in the street will not be anxious to face to elements in future.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
And one more quick one before I head out - I had to look up the reference but get it now. File this one under Ref BANTZ.

Other referees whom I call to mind are Mr Jewell, another good Official, and Mr. Gould. The latter was of rather generous build, and because of this and his youthful features we nicknamed him "Glaxo." I am afraid the crowd were not too kind to him on occasions when they disagreed with some of his decisions but I must say, however, that I always admired his apparent indifference to such treatment, and his concentrated control.

MY SURPISE MEETING WITH MR. GOULD

At the Selhurst Ground, taking refreshment in the Directors' Room after the match, I was attended by a cheerful smiling gentleman who, after bidding me welcome, said "I suppose you remember me?" I replied "Well your face is very familiar but I can't place you at the moment." His rejoinder was, "I expect you've seen me a good many times. I was often refereeing at Brighton."

I remembered him at once. It was none other than referee Mr. Gould. I told him of my reference in my records to his generous proportions, and my nickname for him of "Glaxo," and trusted he would not sue me for libel. He laughed heartily, thoroughly enjoying the joke, saying, "I expect you fellows called me a good many other names besides!" To this, I'm afraid I had to plead guilty.

This would appear to be a reference to the advert featuring the Glaxo baby.

Im091023OT-Glaxo.jpg

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Last few bits. Here is a chapter on "Dr. Brighton"

Cup-tie football crowds up and down the country became familiar, several years ago, with the later Harry Taylor, alias "Dr. Brighton" and for many years mine host of the Star and Garter Hotel, Brighton. His brass plate at the entrance to the hotel, telling all and sundry his hours of attendance and what he could prescribe to cheer the heart, still remains. Harry was a staunch supporter of the Brighton & Hove Albion Club, and many were the musical evenings the players and their friends spent as Harry's guests - in fact, it was a regular rendezvous after the matches on Saturday nights.

FLYING TO A CUP-TIE?

Many years ago, on the occasion of our playing a F.A. Cup-tie at Newcastle, Harry had the idea of chartering a plane to fly his party to the match. I know this to be true, because I was to be one of the chosen few. However, there were too many difficulties for poor Harry to surmount, so the project fell through, but in those days this would certainly have been unique.

Many trainloads of supporters attended this match, and we saw our people arriving in hundreds during the early and late morning of the day, all gay with their blue and white rosettes, and cheerful even though that had been travelling from the previous afternoon. The ladies of our party went shopping in the morning, and presented each one of us, before going to the Ground, with a smart little buttonhole of violets and snowdrops - our colours in flowers.

Alas, this did not bring victory, for we were beaten by the "Magpies" by three goals, all scored by that marvellous little centre-forward, Hughie Gallacher. Our defence put everything they had to stop him, and were none too gentle with their tackles on occasions, but to no avail. One goal he scored, I will never forget. He was knocked over, was actually in the sitting position when the ball came across, and he neatly nodded the ball through, well out of the goalkeeper's reach - a masterpiece of a goal if ever there was one.

I did not know this player off the field, but I was surprised at the way the Newcastle crowd treated him, and to hear the expressions which led one to assume that he was unpopular. What I am going to say does not mean that I hold any brief for this particular player, but I do feel a lot of sympathy for those players with a reputation who are made a kind of "chopping block" by the defences of the majority of teams with whom they come into contact. Of course, a strong referee would put a closure on this immediately, but how many see these irritating little ankle taps and knocks, and is it a wonder that the player appeals to the controlling Official? The home crowd got annoyed with Gallacher for making such appeals, but believe me, he had some pretty rough handling by the Brighton fellows that day. How the Newcastle people cheered any of our good play, was really a pleasure to witness.

I must tell you an incident prior to the match starting. "Dr. Brighton" made his appearance as usual, with his attendants, arrayed in a suit of blue and white stripes, complete with blue and white top hat, and proceeded to parade around the ground to the tremendous cheering and laughter from 40,000 odd spectators.

I refer to another occasion, as it brings in my old friends Brighton and Portsmouth again. Following a Cup-tie which we played and won at Fratton Park, we adjourned to the Corner House at Portsmouth for tea. This large restaurant was crowded on both floors, and a full orchestra was merrily playing. All of a sudden, there was a considerable commotion and loud laughter below. We rose from our tables to ascertain what it was all about. It was only the formal entrance of "Dr. Brighton" who was loudly proclaiming the superiority of Brighton over Portsmouth, and, in fact, over every side in the Cup! He then ascended the platform, stopped the band and insisted on them playing "Sussex by the Sea" to which tune everyone was commanded to sing, whilst he conducted in the most professional manner. I shall not forget how the Naval boys entered into the fun, and Brighton's old battle tune rang out in the Portsmouth streets. Large crowds collected outside, until the Law had to intervene, but not, however, before Harry had reproduced one more chorus and presented his famous cake-walk dance. Unfortunately, with his dear old friend Sir Harry Preston, he has passed on, and I fear we shall not in the troubled days that lie ahead, see their like.

Rather cruse and common, many would say, but it was just honest-to-goodness fun, and I had humour enough to appreciate it. Like a lot of schoolboys, others would exclaim. Well, why not? I would like to borrow the phrase of Eddie Fray, of "Crazy Gang" fame - "You can't help laughing!" and that is all to the good of the Nation.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Nice little cartoon as well.

20210311_145330.jpg

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I like this paragraph on the Football Pools as well - the Albion's form might ring a bell.

Although I have referred to the fact that I did not think Football Pools had an effect on the crowds' demeanour as to their favourites winning or losing a match, a recent letter which the manager of Brighton & Hove Albion received from a soldier, purporting to be on behalf of himself and other so-called football fans, has a bearing on this vexed question. Allowing for the epistle to be treated as ludicrous and even humorous, there must be some that have such a mentality. "We cannot understand Brighton winning so many matches away, and losing nearly all of their matches at home. Will you please write in reply to this letter and explain the reason. We shall expect your reply in next Sunday's 'Empire News'"

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Wasn't it Witcher who once melted the pitch at the Goldstone, turning a frozen pitch into an impossible quagmire with a tarring machine?

No, that was after his time.

The Corporation tar-melter was commissioned by Eric Courtney-King, who was Chairman 1962-68

Mr Witcher was 1958-60

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
One last snippet from the Brighton chapter.

The 1926-27 season was a memorable one for Brighton, when they were running well for the championship of Division III (South) - in fact, as late as February they were top. Some 2700 supporters journeyed to Luton to see the Albion narrowly beaten by the odd goal in three. The crowd numbered 19,000, and enthusiasm was high. However, our success was not to be; Luton won the championship with 58 points, Notts County coming second with 56 points and Brighton third with 53 points. There is a good story recounted in connection with this match, originated by Mr. V. Champion ("Crusader", the Sussex Sports writer. An anonymous sportsman not able to make the trip, sent him a letter containing a cheque sufficient to take half a dozen stalwarts who could do a spot of shouting at Luton in support of the Albion. The six "shouters" were duly discovered and presented with a return ticket to Luton and enough small change for refreshments. Of course, this was publicity welcomed by the Press, and Brighton crashed into the headlines in every National morning and evening newspaper, reading - "Wanted. Six Men who can Shout"; "Free Trips for Football Fans"; "Football Fan sends Half-dozen in his stead," and photographs appeared showing "Crusader" presenting the lucky six with their excursion tickets and an envelope containing small change, for their journey to Luton.

Last edited:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Also, a photo I don't think I have seen before.

View attachment 70257

15 December 1945. Albion 4 Walthamstow Avenue 2
FA Cup 2nd round, 2nd leg

The first leg was 1-1, so Albion won 5-3 on aggregate.

This was an 'interim' season to allow things to return to normal after WW2.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Right - I have the final, and seemingly thinnest book of the set. This is from 1944. There is a section with a few pages on several southern clubs and obviously Alec gives a few more pages to us. A lot of it is just listing players and league positions but a there are a few interesting sections.

Brighton - "The Albion"

Up to the year 1898, all the football that was seen of any importance at all, was at Preston Park, where there were some excellent amateur games. An attempt to provide "big" football was made by the formation of Brighton United F.C., and in their initial campaign (1898-99) they did reasonably well in the old Southern League.

About this time, Dundee United crashed, and I understand that Mr W.E.Everest, well known in Sussex soccer circles, made the journey to Dundee, accompanied by Mr. John Jackson, Manager of the Brighton Club at that time, and bought half a dozen of the United's players. This may account for the Brighton Club at one time possessing no fewer than six internationals. I now learn for the first time that Robinson, Southampton's international goalkeeper, was originally with Brighton.

The united played their games on the Sussex County cricket ground at Hove, but from lack of accommodation in the season 1899-1900, which was a particularly wet one, the crowd were unable to face the elements, so that saw the end of the United. However, the enthusiasts were not to be beaten and Mr. Jackson, who had managed the United, formed the Brighton & Hove Rangers in the season 1900-01, when they played a series of friendlies. In the next season, they figured in the Second Division of the Southern League, finishing third with 22 points from 16 games. It was then that the name of the Club was changed to "Brighton & Hove Albion," beginning its career with a wage bill of £10 per week.

The Albion played their first match, not on the Goldstone Ground, Hove, which has been the opinion of many, but at a farm close to Tongdean Lane, Dyke Road, Brighton. The date was Saturday, 7th September, 1901, and the Albion first team was - Tribe; Coles, Caldwell, Farrell, McAvoy, Sutherland, Blunden, Hill, Sear, Thain and King. The following season the Club finished second in the table, and then emerged into the First Division of the Southern League.

Another interesting point, and one of which Brightonians may justly be proud, is that the Albion's first Chairman was Sir George Broadbridge, Bart. K.C.V.O., afterwards Lord Mayor of London, and furthermore, the Coronation Lord Mayor.

A Mr. J.J. Clark was the owner of the Goldstone Ground, and I believe this gentleman used to have a farthing levy on the "gate" in lieu of rent. This arrangement, however, did not prove satisfactory for very long, as the Club had to vacate the ground on the last day of the season so that during the summer, haymaking could take place. When the club started the following season they found there was so much stubble amongst the grass that they eventually rented the ground at £50 per annum.

His namesake, Mr. Noah Clark, to whom I have referred elsewhere, was very well known in the old Brighton Fish Market, being connected with that trade, and I am told of the feasts of oysters with plenty of brown bread and butter he used to shower on the players when they were in special training for a Cup-tie. He had a humorous name for alcoholic liquor, which he referred to as "lunatic broth"!

I admired an old print of Brighton dating back to 1837 which still hangs in our Board Room at the Goldstone ground, and our Manager told me there was a little human story attached to it. he received a visit from a youth who was extremely anxious to secure an English Cup Final ticket, and had to tell this lad that he did not think there was any possible chance of getting one. However, the day before the match, two 2s. tickets were returned to the Club and Mr. Webb got in touch with the youngster, pointing out that this would only give him a standing position to view the match; but with the enthusiasm of youth, the lad replied that it did not matter in the slightest, and the following week showed his appreciation by presenting the Club with this old print.

Brighton and Hove Albion have always been a good team to watch, and have never lost the knack of commanding respect from any opposing side. I know in the old days we were always in doubt at Portsmouth as to what Brighton would produce "out of the bag," and felt we had beaten one of our most dangerous opponents when we succeeded in winning.

The Albion have always maintained their reputation for good football, and have always played the game. They have never been associated with the rougher or disreputable side of the game, and I may say in all sincerity that with the present Board and Management they are never likely to lose that honourable status.

I'll post some more over the next day or two - it takes a while to type! Especially interesting is a short chapter where Alec gives his idea of the perfect new football stadium - as envisaged in 1944. I'll give you a clue - he isn't that far off the Amex, even down to the seating.

Thank you for taking the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here